The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Bieksa to Detroit could make sense?

First a stab at a proposal;

To Van: Riley Sheehan & 2015 3rd

To Det: Kevin Bieksa & one of Nick Jensen or Brendan Gaunce

The value could use some tweaking I'm sure but that's the nuts and bolts. My ask is a big one, Sheehan. Might have to look at a different return as well.

Look, the reason I am putting up this discussion is the heated debates which have surfaced on KB3. He's a wildly popular great character with decent skills, fit, breathes blue and green, tough as nails and a great team mate. I personally love the guy.

He has his flaws too, and that combined with team performance has polarized views. Some see him as part of an old guard that wont figure out how to make us a champion.

So! Create a deal that accomplishes something for everybody to bring them to the table.

Send our mate to a team that desperately needs a tough, mobile right handed defender. They started this playoff year with RHD Alexei Marchenko on their roster. A 7th rounder with 15 games NHL experience. Its not a stretch to suggest he makes gets them a round deeper.Detroit is less than 200 miles from Bieksa's Grimsby home, and equal parts an up and coming team with superstars Datsyuk & Zetterberg making the team a perennial winner. The Wings get a first round big forward, close to NHL ready, to someday replace Sheehan. Detroit also has a long history of taking cagey veterans and putting them in roles that extends their career for years. I think they would see Bieksa as an ideal target for their team needs.

The Canucks do right by Kev.

Detroit needs that RHD so bad they cough up a solid 210 lb big 3C that has been schooled and brought up right in the Detroit system as a two solid player. But to a degree, with players like Glendening, Tatar, he may still be expendable? He's a bigger and better version of what we wanted to get in Vey, already scoring at 35 points plus a year. It leaves a big hole on our right side D. But does leave the cap space to find solutions. And / or room for Corrado or Clendenning to step up. A 3rd balances the trade.

A fresh start for everyone?

Any other idea;s?

Not a chance. Detroit loves their home grown guys, not going to give em up for Bieksa. With the way Mrazek has been playing, they'll trade Howard to Toronto for Phaneuf.

They need a RHD

They traded for Zidlicky at the deadline. And he was their only right handed shot most nights.

LHD where Phaneuf plays they are fine with Kronwall, Dekeyser, Ericsson, Smith, don't know if Quincy is still signed...

A mobile, tough RHD who is a consummate pro suits them just fine. Myers would of course have been way better but cost 4 times the price. They can affords this.

Not a chance. Detroit loves their home grown guys, not going to give em up for Bieksa. With the way Mrazek has been playing, they'll trade Howard to Toronto for Phaneuf.

:picard: The nerve of some of the people on this forum. Are you an actual hockey insider? How could you speak so surely in your "analysis"? I strongly dislike it when people tear others' proposals down when it's still moderately reasonable or a solid idea.

Even if they like their young players, it still doesn't mean that they won't go and spend to meet their needs if need be. What's more, OP's idea was solid, whereas Howard for Dion? :picard: In the REAL world, the Wings offered Weiss (cap dump), Smith (mediocre player) and Pulkkinen (good young prospect) for Dion, which wouldn't net you Howard, a solid player. If you're going to tear someone else's idea down, please make sure that your own thoughts are at least as good as the one you're criticizing before proposing your own, especially with the amount of confidence you displayed in your post.

They need a RHD

They traded for Zidlicky at the deadline. And he was their only right handed shot most nights.

LHD where Phaneuf plays they are fine with Kronwall, Dekeyser, Ericsson, Smith, don't know if Quincy is still signed...

A mobile, tough RHD who is a consummate pro suits them just fine. Myers would of course have been way better but cost 4 times the price. They can affords this.

Phaneuf has played predominantly on the right side in Toronto. Only this year did he play significantly on the left side. Otherwise the top pairing of the Leafs was Gunarsson-Phaneuf. I think Phaneuf to Detroit will happen this offseason. I think both teams will look to compromise and come to a middle ground.

They seemingly try and trade for a defenseman every year, Bieksa and Hamhuis could both be options next year. That said I am hoping for the two to have a bounce back season next year and (hopefully) play together again. Sbisa + Corrado/Clendening on the bottom pairing playing 15 a game plz..

First a stab at a proposal;

To Van: Riley Sheehan & 2015 3rd

To Det: Kevin Bieksa & one of Nick Jensen or Brendan Gaunce

I'm not too familiar with Sheehan, but do we not have similar players/prospects in Horvat, Cassels and McCann? Personally I would target Jurco. It may take a similar package, but adding another big RW couldn't hurt.

I would do this trade in a heartbeat. Throw in both Jensen AND Gaunce to make it happen. If Juice was to consider this, he could play with Kronwall, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Nyquist...a talented team where he'd be wanted by media and fans alike. Surely if pressure mounts on him he'd consider it?

Really cant see Bieksa agreeing to waive at any request.

THis is a guy whos family has zero desire to move away, and is stubborn enough to refuse. He'll be a Canuck next year guaranteed.

Hamhuis is in the same boat. But if asked, I could see him begrudgingly waive as Garrison did. When Tony G asked him if theyd be willing to waive his NTC, I though he was going to cry, lol.

IMO its likely that they both play out their contracts here, but might be up for relocation by next deadline should the Nux be out of the equation.

:picard: The nerve of some of the people on this forum. Are you an actual hockey insider? How could you speak so surely in your "analysis"? I strongly dislike it when people tear others' proposals down when it's still moderately reasonable or a solid idea.

Even if they like their young players, it still doesn't mean that they won't go and spend to meet their needs if need be. What's more, OP's idea was solid, whereas Howard for Dion? :picard: In the REAL world, the Wings offered Weiss (cap dump), Smith (mediocre player) and Pulkkinen (good young prospect) for Dion, which wouldn't net you Howard, a solid player. If you're going to tear someone else's idea down, please make sure that your own thoughts are at least as good as the one you're criticizing before proposing your own, especially with the amount of confidence you displayed in your post.

They are not moving Sheehan. That is like asking the canucks to move horvat for zidlicky. So I agree with the other poster, not a chance. Something more feasible would be moving Bieksa (if he waives which he likely will not) to Detroit for a 2nd rounder and a Martin Frk.

So maybe do your research as well Phil.

To follow up, I also believe that Edler could be the NTC to move.

He's still a valuable guy and had a good season. THeres probably a better chance of him staying here, however I think he'd be the easiest player to move off the back end, and would render the best return given his age and contract status.

If the team truely wants to introduce new blood, and perhaps make a significant deal to further shake things into the direction that they want this group to play, Alex is probably the one veteran player they could move and get a significant return for the clubs future.

With Benning saying that Weber will get done, Tanev & Sbisa with fresh contracts, Corrado & Clendening whom should be in the fold.... Thats 5 of 7-8 D... Leaving the NTCs Hammer, Juice, & Edler... and then theres Ryan Stanton whom I feel might not have a spot on this roster.

Dispite needing a change on the back end, it's quite possible we could see the same group minus Ryan Stanton.

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber

Sbisa Bieksa

Clendening Corrado

Up front is likely to have similar issues...

sedin sedin vrbata

baertschi horvat kassian

higgins bonino burrows

dorsett gaunce hansen

vey

kenins

Its basically the same squad unless a kid comes in and takes someones job. Heres hoping that 2-3 of Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Gaunce have amazing summers of training and come in ready to take on a significant role.

It's possible Bieksa gets traded at the deadline, or just rides the last season out. If that is the case, Benning will likely trade one of Weber, Clendening, or Corrado. (My vote would to to Weber, just too weak in his own zone.)

Detroit is probably more interested in those types of guys anyways, considering where they are as a franchise. They don't really need the 'leader-type'.

The teams that would be most interested in Bieksa are teams lacking veteran presence and leadership on their blueline, and/or teams with an internal cap, who care more about his actual salary (2.5 mil) than his cap hit (4.6). I could see Carolina, Edmonton, Columbus, and Arizona interested for both reasons. Of those teams, only Columbus looks to be competitive next year, so maybe Kevin would consider going there.

It's possible Bieksa gets traded at the deadline, or just rides the last season out. If that is the case, Benning will likely trade one of Weber, Clendening, or Corrado. (My vote would to to Weber, just too weak in his own zone.)

Detroit is probably more interested in those types of guys anyways, considering where they are as a franchise. They don't really need the 'leader-type'.

The teams that would be most interested in Bieksa are teams lacking veteran presence and leadership on their blueline, and/or teams with an internal cap, who care more about his actual salary (2.5 mil) than his cap hit (4.6). I could see Carolina, Edmonton, Columbus, and Arizona interested for both reasons. Of those teams, only Columbus looks to be competitive next year, so maybe Kevin would consider going there.

I've never been a huge fan of Bieksa the player. Bieksa the person seems nice enough, but there has always been something about his play that always left me wanting more (same could be said for any player I guess).

Anyway, I agree with you on Columbus. That is a team that just needed a friggin' break this year, and they need defense bad. Assuming they stay put at 8th overall at the draft, they'll look at drafting either Provorov or Werenski. However, with the Flyers picking at 7th overall and desperately needing defense, chances are Provorov won't slip by them. I wouldn't be suprised in the slightest if the Blue Jackets swapped picks with the Devils (6th) if Provorov is still available, so they can snap him up before the Flyers get him. After trading Wisniewski, they'll need veteran help on the backend, Bieksa would help with that.

Archived