The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Bieksa to Detroit could make sense?

:picard: The nerve of some of the people on this forum. Are you an actual hockey insider? How could you speak so surely in your "analysis"? I strongly dislike it when people tear others' proposals down when it's still moderately reasonable or a solid idea.

Even if they like their young players, it still doesn't mean that they won't go and spend to meet their needs if need be. What's more, OP's idea was solid, whereas Howard for Dion? :picard: In the REAL world, the Wings offered Weiss (cap dump), Smith (mediocre player) and Pulkkinen (good young prospect) for Dion, which wouldn't net you Howard, a solid player. If you're going to tear someone else's idea down, please make sure that your own thoughts are at least as good as the one you're criticizing before proposing your own, especially with the amount of confidence you displayed in your post.

The nerve of some people on the forum that don't know anything about hockey.

Riley is going to be Detroit's shut down center for years to come, they aren't going to trade him for a crap defense man like Bieksa. Anyone and everyone knows this. Detroit is an extremely smart team, and make sure they don't have crap on their team. You need to be defensively responsible, their 7th guy that played in 10 games in Kindl played in replacement of Kronwall in Game 7 against Tampa made no mistakes.

Howard and Dion have been discussed to death, you didn't hear it? Too bad for you.

Stupid fans like this posting, think Connor McDavid and Sidney Crosby can be traded for nothing.

Detroit has been in need of a RHD for a while now. They've tried many options none of which have really fit. Bieksa would fit the Wings in my opinion. I just don't see him waiving to go from one aging core to another. Doesn't really increase his chance at winning a cup.... Besides.. Bieksa is gonna go down with this ship

I have no problem with Bieksa running his last year as a Cancuks, and then sign for 6-7 D duty, teach the prospects and retire a Canuck.

It is a business indeed. Taking care of our own is also imperative.

yep. I'd love to extend bieksa for 2 years @2 per and have him play 16 minutes a game on the 3rd pairing.

he might be detroits Horvat But he's no Bo horvat.

Yeah, no kidding. Our Horvat has more playoff points, in half the games played!

Sheahan is a decent player...but he's more like Matthias. Middle-6 big body that doesn't play all that big. Only 23 though, so some higher upside. Better at faceoffs too. I wouldn't mind him on my team, but he's absolutely no Horvat.

Yeah, no kidding. Our Horvat has more playoff points, in half the games played!

Sheahan is a decent player...but he's more like Matthias. Middle-6 big body that doesn't play all that big. Only 23 though, so some higher upside. Better at faceoffs too. I wouldn't mind him on my team, but he's absolutely no Horvat.

And 23 on Detroit usually means that the player is still about 4 years off from making the team. Considering he made it on the team at the age off 21, I doubt the Wings part with him for Bieksa.

I have no problem with Bieksa running his last year as a Cancuks, and then sign for 6-7 D duty, teach the prospects and retire a Canuck.

It is a business indeed. Taking care of our own is also imperative.

Theoretically, me neither. But we just signed Sbisa to that disgusting contract so we need to offload one of our ~$4m D-men and no way we move Edler (though if Detroit's 1st was in play...), Tanev or Hammer and no GM in his right mind would trade for Sbisa, Bieksa is the odd man out as his contribution to the team's play is questionable at this point.

I'm not too familiar with Sheehan, but do we not have similar players/prospects in Horvat, Cassels and McCann? Personally I would target Jurco. It may take a similar package, but adding another big RW couldn't hurt.

I'm ok with that.

If we took Jurco the price would have to be lower. 18 points versus Shhehans 36 and also 2'' and 20 lbs lighter and drafted lower. Maybe straight up for Juice?

I was trying to use Juice, plus a less established but still drafted in a similar slot (roughly 20th to 25th overall) forward prospect to command an already established.

I am less excited about moving a heart and soul Canuck with a less exciting return...

It's possible Bieksa gets traded at the deadline, or just rides the last season out. If that is the case, Benning will likely trade one of Weber, Clendening, or Corrado. (My vote would to to Weber, just too weak in his own zone.)

Detroit is probably more interested in those types of guys anyways, considering where they are as a franchise. They don't really need the 'leader-type'.

The teams that would be most interested in Bieksa are teams lacking veteran presence and leadership on their blueline, and/or teams with an internal cap, who care more about his actual salary (2.5 mil) than his cap hit (4.6). I could see Carolina, Edmonton, Columbus, and Arizona interested for both reasons. Of those teams, only Columbus looks to be competitive next year, so maybe Kevin would consider going there.

I did post in alternate threads a suggestion the best & most likely time to trade a Bieksa, easily, would be next deadline.

By then he would have only months left on his Vancouver contract, and a feel as to whether he would get an extension he's happy with to stay? And if he wasn't, a crack at a contender would be a good way to both get a cup, and increase his value going in to UFA.

At our end, it gets just that extra time to give;

Clendenning 2/3rds of a year to get established in the NHL. With no waivers he will be here.

Corrado that much more ready for regular shifts.

Tryamkin and Hutton on the left might even be options by then.

Summarize as more time for our young D to develop...

I personally feel one of Hamhuis and Bieksa will be traded next year, 1 will be extended.

Someone mentioned Sheehan would be Detroits shut down center for years. Pencil in Glendenning, the moment he was kicked out of the game with the midget brawl; Johnsons line came out and scored 3 late goals to steal the game. He's playing the shut down role now now not Sheehan. Although Riley is certainly a 2 way forward and a reason I targeted him.

And 23 on Detroit usually means that the player is still about 4 years off from making the team. Considering he made it on the team at the age off 21, I doubt the Wings part with him for Bieksa.

Bieksa plus another forward, probably Gaunce, who can grow into the same role Sheehan has.

Don't discount the grit factor on the back end. If you subtract Bieksa's grit, you have to add it back in somehow. I think that Benning is planning on Pedan filling Bieksa's shoes when he is ready (hoping for 2016-17).

Benning liked Sbisa's grit too but both he and Bieksa are less than 200 lbs (average NHL D is 209). Enter Pedan (215) and Tryamkin (230).

Really cant see Bieksa agreeing to waive at any request.

THis is a guy whos family has zero desire to move away, and is stubborn enough to refuse. He'll be a Canuck next year guaranteed.

Hamhuis is in the same boat. But if asked, I could see him begrudgingly waive as Garrison did. When Tony G asked him if theyd be willing to waive his NTC, I though he was going to cry, lol.

IMO its likely that they both play out their contracts here, but might be up for relocation by next deadline should the Nux be out of the equation.

I wouldn't quite call it stubborn. It's a right he was given when they agreed to his contract. As much of an inconvenience it may be, he deserves to have the option to stay here, especially after every thing he's done for us.

At his age and point of his career, he wouldn't want to waive his NTC because he's made Vancouver his home and I can assume he'd like to stay settled here.

Archived