The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does linden vey have a future on the Canucks?

billabong

We hear about baerschi, horvat, virtanen, shinkaruk, McCann, gaunce, cassels etc as reviving this team but vey kinda gets forgotten in the thick of it all. We traded the 23 year old rookie for a 2nd round pick to centre the 3rd line behind bonino but because of horvats incredible play he ended up finishing the year in the press box.

He is a skilled fast player so he needs to be in scoring role but is he gonna get that on this team?

Is he strong enough to be a nhl centre and win at least 50% of his draws?

Does he belong on the wing? But behind our plethora of wingers under contract is there room for him on the right side?

If he doesn't have home here, is he still worth a 2nd pick?

Vey is actually not particularly fast. He hustles but is not speedy.

And unfortunately he will have a prime spot next season with his bff coaching.

Reality is he does not fit anywhere on this team other than 13th forward. We would never get a second rounder for him now I don't think.

He brings some good attributes but also adds to the wimpy image of this team. I think my 9 year old novice kid might actually look older than him lol.

I think he is definitely worth the 2nd round pick. Although there was a lot of hate on him, he quietly had a solid rookie year. People seem to think picks are worth more than they are, there are tons of second rounders that never make the NHL, yet here we have a young rookie who had a very good rookie season.

I don't see why he won't have a future on the team. I say this for two reasons: 1) He is young and has shown he can produce, he just needs experience and consistency, 2) Benning knew he wanted him, I don't see him being kicked off the team.

This team is getting younger and listing people like Gaunce, Cassels, Shinkaruk when none of those 3 have played at the NHL level in a meaningful way is a lot like saying Vey isn't worth a 2nd rounder. People overrate potential.

If he was better in the faceoff dot I'd be happy to have him slot in 3rd line. But he's pretty bad. He'll need to work hard this offseason to solidify a spot in the lineup. I'm sure he'll get plenty of looks. But Willie won't sacrifice winning to keep him in the lineup for long.

We hear about baerschi, horvat, virtanen, shinkaruk, McCann, gaunce, cassels etc as reviving this team but vey kinda gets forgotten in the thick of it all. We traded the 23 year old rookie for a 2nd round pick to centre the 3rd line behind bonino but because of horvats incredible play he ended up finishing the year in the press box.

He is a skilled fast player so he needs to be in scoring role but is he gonna get that on this team?

Is he strong enough to be a nhl centre and win at least 50% of his draws?

Does he belong on the wing? But behind our plethora of wingers under contract is there room for him on the right side?

If he doesn't have home here, is he still worth a 2nd pick?

He is not fast, and as I said in the Jensen thread he was handed the chance Jensen earned last year on a silver platter and did absolutely nothing with it.

He isn't a good center and I'd take Jensen's speed and forecheck on the wing every day of the week. Considering people are writing off Jensen already I'm not sure what that says about Vey. I really don't see why we traded for him, or how he's going to fit in going forward.

Everyone rejects the fact that he's only a rookie and he's had similar numbers to Horvat this season. He will get better in the offseason, and hopefully ends up being a big piece of our team.

If he was better in the faceoff dot I'd be happy to have him slot in 3rd line. But he's pretty bad. He'll need to work hard this offseason to solidify a spot in the lineup. I'm sure he'll get plenty of looks. But Willie won't sacrifice winning to keep him in the lineup for long.

He's also brutal defensively, not the best qualities for an aspiring center.

Everyone rejects the fact that he's only a rookie and he's had similar numbers to Horvat this season. He will get better in the offseason, and hopefully ends up being a big piece of our team.

How many of those points were results of him being planted in the slot on the powerplay?

That's a good point. 10 G and 14 A isn't bad for a 23 year old. Not too shabby...

Actually arguably better stats than Kassian.

Really because his production trailed off in the latter half of the season people are down on him. But actually looking at the whole season not too bad at all. Give him a chance for another year, see if he can break out of his mid season slump.

He was benched in favour of McMillan, Baertschi, and Kenins in the final playoff games.

Get over it already.

He was benched in favour of Richardson. Desjardins even said he thought he was better at the end of the season than the start (wtf moment there) and that he ONLY lost his spot because of Richardson. Look for Richardson to be let go as a UFA to pave the spot for Vey. Even though he is absolutely terrible as a centre.

That's a good point. 10 G and 14 A isn't bad for a 23 year old. Not too shabby...

Actually arguably better stats than Kassian.

Really because his production trailed off in the latter half of the season people are down on him. But actually looking at the whole season not too bad at all. Give him a chance for another year, see if he can break out of his mid season slump.

Look at the prime offensive and top 9 minutes given to Vey next to those given to Horvat. His numbers are actually pretty below average based on his opportunity while Horvat did it as a 4th line center with no pp time.

Vey is mediocre like most of this team. He does not have the size, speed, or defensive awareness to excel as a center. The wing is getting to the point where much better options are getting close.

He has a lot of work to do imo.

Putting up 24 points in 75 games as a rookie (true he played 18 games the prior season) ain't bad at all.

He's young and still has a big learning curve ahead. If he can work on his face-off ability and bulk up a bit he'll be fine.

It's way too early to give up on this kid.

Look at the prime offensive and top 9 minutes given to Vey next to those given to Horvat. His numbers are actually pretty below average based on his opportunity while Horvat did it as a 4th line center with no pp time.

Vey is mediocre like most of this team. He does not have the size, speed, or defensive awareness to excel as a center. The wing is getting to the point where much better options are getting close.

He has a lot of work to do imo.

So Vey is the new Hansen - someone call Slegr.

He was benched in favour of Richardson. Desjardins even said he thought he was better at the end of the season than the start (wtf moment there) and that he ONLY lost his spot because of Richardson. Look for Richardson to be let go as a UFA to pave the spot for Vey. Even though he is absolutely terrible as a centre.

Vey's all-around game did improve from the start of the season to the end.

The 4th line in game 6 was Higgins - Horvat - McMillan.

Vey can play right wing. If WD was Vey's "bff", that would have been an easy opportunity to slot Vey in.

None of your jokes about WD and Vey or Medicine Hat ever were funny, so just stop.

The lines 1-3 are filled.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Kassian

Burrows-Bonino-Hansen

The fourth line has only Dorsett penciled in at the moment. He will come in and compete for one of the fourth line roles along with Kenins, Virtanen, Jensen, Gaunce, Cassels, Shinkaruk, and whoever else that emerges.

Archived