The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we too spoiled or jaded as fans to just appreciate what the team did this season?

iinatcc

I ask and let me just say I think Canucks fans are awesome, well I am one, but I did notice that for the fans and media there's a negative cloud every end of the season since after 2011. Ok 2013 to 2014 was a disaster but I kind of felt there was a disgruntled and frustrated mood here and the media after the 2012, 2013, and 2015 playoff eliminations.

Of course one might say that a 1st round elimination is never good since the ultimate goal is always to win the cup.

But then I look at this season and the Jets fans and Sens fans and despite being eliminated via 4 games and 6 games respectively the mood of their fans is one of pride and admiration to their team. I also remember 2012 the Panthers fanbase and organization celebrated the opening of the 2013 season by putting up the Southeast Division banner and the fans were very appreciative there despite a 1st Round exit a year before.

I dunno after The Canucks elimination the reaction from the media and fans is really different from the positive reaction of the fansbase of the Jets, Pathers (2012), and Senators. While their fans saluted the team despite a 1st round exit here we seem to blame the coach, call the core stale, having no heart etc.

I don't know but considering where the team was last year and now a 101 point season, I think there is just as much a reason to be proud of The Canucks the same way the fans of other teams are proud of theirs.

You know like I said I love this team and fans but it's just an observation I noticed.

The answer is yes. Any knowledgeable fan knows this year was a tranisition year. We are building for the future not really for the now. When our young guns can come in, then I will raise my expectations. But for now making the dance is good. Would've liked to have won a round though. Still sour.

I think we have been overwhelmed by lowered expectations. Tricking ourselves in thinking this team took a step forward

Lost a lot of winnable games during the regular season and got blown out of the first round by a team that look like the kids they are against real compitition but hey! It wasn't as bad as last season.

We underachieved during the short Torts era and now we are back where were when we were getting blown out by the Sharks and Kings. Hard to wave the pompoms yet. Expect more of the same next season with this weak defense and Vets that cannot play their way out of their spots no matter how little they are contributing. (no, I don't mean Henrik)

Core is as dead as Zed, unfortunately and the fans of the Jets2 (Jets1 being in the desert) may be happy as pigs in filth right now but show no improvement or get worse over a few more seasobs and the enthusiasm will drop as well

I ask and let me just say I think Canucks fans are awesome, well I am one, but I did notice that for the fans and media there's a negative cloud every end of the season since after 2011. Ok 2013 to 2014 was a disaster but I kind of felt there was a disgruntled and frustrated mood here and the media after the 2012, 2013, and 2015 playoff eliminations.

Of course one might say that a 1st round elimination is never good since the ultimate goal is always to win the cup.

But then I look at this season and the Jets fans and Sens fans and despite being eliminated via 4 games and 6 games respectively the mood of their fans is one of pride and admiration to their team. I also remember 2012 the Panthers fanbase and organization celebrated the opening of the 2013 season by putting up the Southeast Division banner and the fans were very appreciative there despite a 1st Round exit a year before.

I dunno after The Canucks elimination the reaction from the media and fans is really different from the positive reaction of the fansbase of the Jets, Pathers (2012), and Senators. While their fans saluted the team despite a 1st round exit here we seem to blame the coach, call the core stale, having no heart etc.

I don't know but considering where the team was last year and now a 101 point season, I think there is just as much a reason to be proud of The Canucks the same way the fans of other teams are proud of theirs.

You know like I said I love this team and fans but it's just an observation I noticed.

Unlike the Senators and Jets, there was indication that we would go for a rebuild. Instead a year passed and with nothing to show for it.

yea we are. i'd really hate to be a blues fan right now. we have it pretty easy right now if you really think about it. we finished a season where we weren't supposed to make the playoffs, saw edlers career resurrected and saw wut two young guys in horvat and kenins and wut they can do

our management now is a little more progressive in making our team younger, albeit little by little, but surrounding them with vets and having a team that can win-- that helps our young guys develop better, instead of throwing them all out and have an edmonton-like season, or hoping and praying that they have a calgary season where everything went right for their young guys

Chicago gave up a 3 goal lead. Only difference is they stopped it at 3. And Keith and Seabrook are far superior to our d-men.

Fans are both too jaded and spoiled.

Perhaps they'd be happier if we missed the playoffs altogether and had our coach not speak with Travis Green all season.

I think Canuck fans want to see new young faces in the lineup (the Sedins must stay..IMO)...The Aqualini's mandate is to make the playoffs every year..Is there's a disconnect/conflict there.?..Are making the playoffs,and excelling, really possible with our team, given its current circumstances.?..The coach is relying on the vets to get us into the playoffs ,probably at the expense of giving our younger players much needed experience...and the GM is talking out the other side of his mouth about drafting (rebuilding on the fly)...and checking out other teams 'reserves list'.

I'm not really sure what the reaction is going to be if they trot out the same lineup as this last season..?..even if they made the playoffs (they are in very tough this year..IMO),it would most likely be a first round oust and another pick around 20th...If you don't play your cards right,it can spin you on the wheel of mediocrity.....Eventually,somethings gotta give.

I'm always very appreciative of this team and the playoff series vs Calgary was a fun one to watch. That being said, losing freaking sucks and it's always really disappointing. Thats just the nature of being very competitive, caring so much about this team and being so emotionally invested. Doesnt make us bad fans or jaded or spoiled.

I'm always very appreciative of this team and the playoff series vs Calgary was a fun one to watch. That being said, losing freaking sucks and it's always really disappointing. Thats just the nature of being very competitive, caring so much about this team and being so emotionally invested. Doesnt make us bad fans or jaded or spoiled.

What that man said

I started watching the Canucks when they were a lunch bucket team. They lost many games but showed desire to win and gave 100% every night and you could see it ( from Stan to Trev ). Perhaps it's just the style of play, but I don't feel there is a 100% effort in many of the games including in the playoffs. Losing a must win game in the playoffs when you had a 3 goal lead looks more like coasting second half of the game, then effort. I will support them if they give 100% effort and lose. I'm not going out of my way to bash them, but when they take the easy route (golfing while making millions) I'm not going to pat them on the back either.

Considering what the team accomplished overall, i'm pretty satisfied. However giving up a 3 goal lead is a pretty good way to piss off fans.

Disagree about Canuck fans being too spoiled or jaded though. People here seem to think that CDC's general consensus is the same as the entire fanbase's. Most Canuck fans I know didn't even think we'd make the playoffs in the first place.

Archived