The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN 1040 (May 4)

Gstank29

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/benning-getting-faster-is-a-priority-1.275229

Nit pick away people

Summary

-Thought players were affected by the Atmosphere in the Saddledome

-Thought that not taking advantage of home ice hurt the team

-Thought the team needs to get younger, faster, more aggressive.

-Specifically mentions Virtanen as a physical force and a type of player who scores the dirty goals

-Mentions Gaunce as a big physical kid who can crash the net

-Brought 2 years of UFA for Sbisa, says he was signed to protect the team since Hamuis and Bieska are UFA's next year.

-HAS TALKED TO SUBBAN'S AGENT and are still in talks

-McCann and Virtanen are in Utica for the experience, it's up to Travis Green if he wants to play them or not

-Jensen needs to round out his game to be an impact player on a game to game bases, wants to work with him

-Says Desjardin is on board with adding speed and energy, says younger and faster later on

-Said something like if the Canucks Sign Matthias they will have to move some cap

-Not afraid to ask players to waive NTC/NMC if it makes sense for the team

-Feels good about Matt O'conner, likes their chances

I hope we can hold on to Matthias for another year or two. He's still young, got great size that is unmatched on this team and potted 18 goals as a 4th line center. Not many 3rd line centers score 18 goals, let alone 4th line centers playing 10 minutes a night. One of the biggest reason we had such great depth was because of Matthias' streaky scoring.

Hopefully we can hold on to him for 1 or 2 more years at 2M per.

The only knock on him is that he didn't really use his body consistently, and was shredded defensively. Of course if we let Richardson AND Matthias walk, who is there to fill that 4th line center spot?

Gaunce has been playing the wing pretty much all season so if he's to become a Canuck next season, I'd hope he slowly transitions into the center spot by playing on the wing first.

Linden Vey is alright but was bullied around, and far too small to be a checking line center.

Benning and Linden have said it themselves that they don't want Cassels or McCann thrown into the NHL, but to play in the AHL first, so they're definately not candidates for the 4th center spot.

JB needs to realize how important Matthias was to this team's bottom-6, and that he has to be re-signed. Dorsett is a kind of player who could have easily been replaced by a kid on the wing and the sort of veteran we need to get rid of (good toughness but shocking defensive stats, one of the worst Corsi's on the team), but good luck replacing Richardson and Matthias at center.

If he's worried about cap, get rid of Higgins and/or Bieksa. I'll admit Burrows is a good veteran to have around the kids growing into the NHL, but as great as Higgins and Bieksa have been at times, they're expendable now.

Subban to the rescue! lul

If an opposing crowd affects your veteran team, then it's probably time to make it a non-veteran team.

Anyone notice that Benning is just saying what Torts already said? Hopefully he does it this time instead of bringing in more 35yr olds.

sooooo Sbisa was re-signed as insurance just incase we lose Bieksa and Hamhuis to free agency? dafuq

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/benning-getting-faster-is-a-priority-1.275229

Nit pick away people

Summary

-Specifically mentions Virtanen as a physical force and a type of player who scores the dirty goals

-Brought 2 years of UFA for Sbisa, says he was signed to protect the team since Hamuis and Bieska are UFA's next year.

-McCann and Virtanen are in Utica for the experience, it's up to Travis Green if he wants to play them or not

-Jensen needs to round out his game to be an impact player on a game to game bases, wants to work with him

-Says Desjardin is on board with adding speed and energy, says younger and faster later on

-Said something like if the Canucks Sign Matthias they will have to move some cap

I said last year... torts had the right ideas. what he said was always correct - he was an agreeable person in his media scrums and end of the year presser.

he's just not a good coach anymore.

Are you implying that WD is a lousy coach?

I hope we can hold on to Matthias for another year or two. He's still young, got great size that is unmatched on this team and potted 18 goals as a 4th line center. Not many 3rd line centers score 18 goals, let alone 4th line centers playing 10 minutes a night. One of the biggest reason we had such great depth was because of Matthias' streaky scoring.

Hopefully we can hold on to him for 1 or 2 more years at 2M per.

The only knock on him is that he didn't really use his body consistently, and was shredded defensively. Of course if we let Richardson AND Matthias walk, who is there to fill that 4th line center spot?

Gaunce has been playing the wing pretty much all season so if he's to become a Canuck next season, I'd hope he slowly transitions into the center spot by playing on the wing first.

Linden Vey is alright but was bullied around, and far too small to be a checking line center.

Benning and Linden have said it themselves that they don't want Cassels or McCann thrown into the NHL, but to play in the AHL first, so they're definately not candidates for the 4th center spot.

JB needs to realize how important Matthias was to this team's bottom-6, and that he has to be re-signed. Dorsett is a kind of player who could have easily been replaced by a kid on the wing and the sort of veteran we need to get rid of (good toughness but shocking defensive stats, one of the worst Corsi's on the team), but good luck replacing Richardson and Matthias at center.

Corsi is such an overrated and stupid analytic to look at. While Dorsett had the worst, he provides the team with something nobody else has on our team, which isn't recorded as a stat. And no it's not leadership.

sooooo Sbisa was re-signed as insurance just incase we lose Bieksa and Hamhuis to free agency? dafuq

It's an insurance so that when Bieksa and Hamhuis are UFAs, he knows he doesn't have to push too hard on himself to get them re-signed just to fill up roster spots. Who knows, they both could walk/retire and that's why Sbisa's contract is there

Nit pick away people

Summary

Funny, but isn't that what experience is supposed to prevent?

Hearing him say that is not news, but it still bothers me.

Good interview by Rintoul ,....I thought that was an interesting point, when he said his squad was rattled at the Saddledome with the Calgary fans (not exactly a ringing endorsement of the fans at Rogers Arena..lol)....and how his 'experienced group' blew the lead in game #1...Experience in this series meant squat....Most of the other answers were as expected..

Again,the Flames did us a favour by illuminating what this team desperately needs to be successful .

please don't sign matthias, please don't.

18 is a popular number. I think I have heard that Matthias scored 18 goals this year almost as much as I heard that Sam Bennett is only 18 years old. But he only had 9 assists, giving him 27 pts. in total. In 5-on-5 points per 60 minutes he was second worst among the fowards on the team after Linden Vey. And it is not like he did much on the PP either. And he is not particularly good on the PK.

He is not good in the face-off circle, is not strong defensively and, despite his size, does not play a physical game. But because he scored 18 goals (which will certainly be a career high for him) he will for sure be overpaid this year. I am just hoping it won't be the Canucks who are overpaying him.

Archived