The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ownership and Fans Disconnect.

badassian9

It has become quite evident that the Canucks fans and especially ownership are on different paths when it comes to thinking what is best for the Canucks.

The majority of the fan base seems quite accepting of a heavy youth movement, a few non playoff years and some short term pain in order to grow and hope for the future.

Meanwhile ownership and management seems hell bent on making an ill advised playoff push each year just to cash in on the home game ravenue. I get it, money rules all but it is such a short sighted approach. It's quite evident that being able to draft well in today's NHL is the most prudent way to build a successful franchise (Sorry Edmonton...wait where is McDavid going?) getting eliminated in the first or second round and picking in the 18-23 range each year is going to make that success harder to achieve.

When your playoff games are barely selling out, even after you reduced the prices it speaks volumes to the faith the fans have in your product and what direction they truly want. In a division that has a powerhouse like Anaheim (Yes, we all still hate Kes), a consistent cup contender like LA and 3 teams filled with incredible youthful talent in Edm, Cal and Phx on the rise, its only going to get harder, so why keep this irrational dream alive?

Let the young players learn from the Sedins while they still can.

I hope the youth movement starts soon and the ownership can see the bigger picture.

Honestly, the Canucks really need to develop some elite scouting and an elite development program. Take full control of the farm teams. Find a way to make those 18-23 overall picks count, and turn the rest of our prospects into NHLers.

It's more than just tanking.

Let's buy the USNTDP

It has become quite evident that the Canucks fans and especially ownership are on different paths when it comes to thinking what is best for the Canucks.

The majority of the fan base seems quite accepting of a heavy youth movement, a few non playoff years and some short term pain in order to grow and hope for the future.

Meanwhile ownership and management seems hell bent on making an ill advised playoff push each year just to cash in on the home game ravenue. I get it, money rules all but it is such a short sighted approach. It's quite evident that being able to draft well in today's NHL is the most prudent way to build a successful franchise (Sorry Edmonton...wait where is McDavid going?) getting eliminated in the first or second round and picking in the 18-23 range each year is going to make that success harder to achieve.

When your playoff games are barely selling out, even after you reduced the prices it speaks volumes to the faith the fans have in your product and what direction they truly want. In a division that has a powerhouse like Anaheim (Yes, we all still hate Kes), a consistent cup contender like LA and 3 teams filled with incredible youthful talent in Edm, Cal and Phx on the rise, its only going to get harder, so why keep this irrational dream alive?

I hope the youth movement starts soon and the ownership can see the bigger picture.

What team have you been watching? Benning has said multiple times that the youth isn't going to be given free spots, but they'll have to earn it.

Gagner, Plante, Nash, Eberle, Paajarvi, Hall, Nuge, Klefbom, Yakupov = all 1st round picks during 8 years of no playoffs.

It's not about getting low picks, it's about making the right picks.

Plus, it's easy for "majority" of fans to say they'd be fine with a few years of sucking when it's the summer time and the off season, but after a couple no playoffs seasons this fan base would begin to revolt.

I'm fully on board with the plan.

I would prefer if the team continues to be competitive while infusing youth into the lineup. The change won't happen overnight, but it is better than building a team that is comfortable with losing.

Honestly, the Canucks really need to develop some elite scouting and an elite development program. Take full control of the farm teams. Find a way to make those 18-23 overall picks count, and turn the rest of our prospects into NHLers.

Yep. I think they are on their way to developing this. It's the impatience of the fan base to accept that it might take a few years to really gel. So far you can't argue with the results. Utica is in the playoffs and doing well. The call-ups that got into games played well enough to inspire confidence in the coaching staff.

The Canucks also have a decent prospect cupboard. All this only 1 season into Benning's tenure.

The fanbase wouldn't be able to handle years of being a bottom feeder.

You have to differentiate this statement. I certainly think the fan base could endure some losing season as long as there is hope in the lineup. If they ice the same old same old and miss the playoffs then yes, by no means could they handle being a bottom feeder. If they ice a younger lineup that shows promise but still loses, I can see the fans getting behind that as long as they aren't losing forever.

Couple things I have to reply to

1. Anaheim isn't a power house. League has helped them get most of their points. They're a pathetic team that would barely make the playoffs had they got canucks quality officiating.

2. Aquaman spends to the cap. This is what matters. Thanks aquaman.

I'm curious as to who your "MAJORITY" is... did you take a poll or something? I think you're being very assumptive in your wording.

I agree with being OK with a youth movement, in fact I encourage it. I happen to agree with Benning and letting those young guy earn their spots rather than giving them away to guys who have no right even playing in the NHL.

I am not OK with just tanking, I would prefer a competative team to watch rather than some crap like they've been watching in Edmonton for ages.

I would not be putting money out for anything Canucks related if the team was painful to watch and I'm pretty sure most of the paying public feel the same way.

I think management has a much better grip on how to handle an NHL team than you, I , or anyone else on CDC....

"To tank or not to tank, that is the question."

I am not going to offer an opinion on that question. But I do want to take exception to one false perception that JB is pushing.

He has said many times that "players develop better in a winning environment".

I don't think this is supported by evidence. If this effect exits at all it is very minor relative to the advantage of getting a high draft pick. Think of dominant players in today's game like Crosby, Toews, Shea Weber, Lucic, Kane, Tavares, etc. Most of those guys played on bad teams for a while. Same with the Sedins. They played on some pretty bad Canuck teams and did alright in the end. Same with Trevor Linden.

Looking at the point differently, the most successful teams in the past decade are teams that went through bad periods when they were able to draft well (Chicago, LA).

Or here is a thought experiment. Suppose McDavid goes to a lousy team and a low first pick (like Jensen or Gaunce were) goes to a winning team. Who do you think would be a better player 5 years later? Do think the "winning environment" for the first two years would make any difference at all?

I am not saying the Benning/Aquillini strategy is wrong. They want to contend for a playoff spot every year, make it most years and, with a few breaks, maybe get a shot at the Stanley Cup.

The other method -- where you are a seller at the deadline and stockpile good young players and build for a particular time window -- can also work.

How many years of 7-11 in the conference do you think they will endorse?

This is the dilemma for the Aqualini's........Either way,they're going to have to completely rebuild/retool this team whether they like it or not....You can say you 'want to make the playoffs ' until you're blue in the face,but a lot of key guys are coming up to their past due date,and its just not going to happen.....Conversely,I can quite understand the Aqualini's not endorsing a 'tank' like Toronto,Buffalo has just done either.....As far as owners go,I think they're pretty good.

"The majority of the fan base" is not a percentage of the posters on CDC. There are plenty here as well as all the casual fans out there that don't want a full rebuild (for various reasons) at this stage.

I didn't read the rest.

We had 3 rookies on the team this year. Next year we'll have Baertschi and Clendenning. Youth movement is happening it's just not happening overnight. We're just not going all hell for a basement.. even if there is a heaven in Alberta.

Yeah so you are saying we should follow the oilers path to glory where they got rid of all the experienced vet guys in favor of a total youth movement so in the end they had nobody who knew how to win at the NHL level.

Benning has a Cup to his name. He helped build the Sabres and then Bruins. I think the guy knows what he's doing. He is absolutely write that you need to have a balance so that the old guys show the young guys how its done.

It's pretty easy to call for a tank when your only financial commitment to the team is the occasional jersey or hat purchase. When the people buying the season's tickets start crowing for a rebuild at Trevor's town hall meetings then maybe the Canucks will listen. Also, the fact that the sell-out streak died on the back of one non playoff season speaks volumes about how unsupportive this fanbase would be of a non competitive version of the Canucks.

I'm fully on board with the plan.

I would prefer if the team continues to be competitive while infusing youth into the lineup. The change won't happen overnight, but it is better than building a team that is comfortable with losing.

^ This. A billion times this. Someone give this guy the $64,000.

There is no such thing as "the fans" or even "the majority of fans" - at least, not that can be spoken for by the OP.

There are a lot of different perspecives - thousands and thousands of fans with differing opinions - and moreover, the OP has generally oversimplified management's perspective regardless.

It's an ongoing debate, but it's not as simple as 'the fans want to tank and rebuild' while managment wants to cash in on playoff revenue. It's an ongoing balancing act - an ongoing process, and an ongoing competition between youth and veterans to command roster spots.

Archived