The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Post secondary students getting Compass=Less people selling it online?!

kurtzfan

http://www.ams.ubc.ca/2015/05/compass-card-to-launch-for-june/

"After a long trial period and years of waiting, the U-Pass student transit program is ready to transition to the Compass Card. All currently registered summer students will be able to collect their Compass Cards on May 16th, from all existing U-Pass dispensing machines.

The Compass Card is a pass system akin to the Oyster Card in London, that is, a reloadable, flexible transit pass.

HOW IT WORKS:

1. Collect your Compass Card from any of the U-Pass machines on campus. Machines can be found at the Bookstore, SUB, and UBC Robson Square.
  2. Link your Compass Card with your U-Pass account to use it as your transit pass.
  3. Start riding the bus!
    • Tap in when you get on the bus.
    • Tap out when you get off the bus.
    • Don’t panic.

You’ll need to request the U-Pass benefit every month, and you can do that online at the same address listed above."

I see people selling U-Pass on Facebook and Craiglist. Do you think students will stop selling their Compass since they are getting one with their name on their name?

http://www.ams.ubc.ca/2015/05/compass-card-to-launch-for-june/

"After a long trial period and years of waiting, the U-Pass student transit program is ready to transition to the Compass Card. All currently registered summer students will be able to collect their Compass Cards on May 16th, from all existing U-Pass dispensing machines.

The Compass Card is a pass system akin to the Oyster Card in London, that is, a reloadable, flexible transit pass.

HOW IT WORKS:

1. Collect your Compass Card from any of the U-Pass machines on campus. Machines can be found at the Bookstore, SUB, and UBC Robson Square.
  2. Link your Compass Card with your U-Pass account to use it as your transit pass.
  3. Start riding the bus!
    • Tap in when you get on the bus.
    • Tap out when you get off the bus.
    • Don’t panic.

You’ll need to request the U-Pass benefit every month, and you can do that online at the same address listed above."

I see people selling U-Pass on Facebook and Craiglist. Do you think students will stop selling their Compass since they are getting one with their name on their name?

Basically closer to what they had in the past, with semester-long bus passes with name and photo on the front.

In the past, people didn't sell bus passes. The U-Pass was an entirely useless thing that some people took advantage of (and good for them).

Tapping out is annoying.

yea, i really don't get the whole point of having to tap out.

Standard practice in virtually any Asian transit system. Complain all you want and raise any legitimate objections, but it's the standard.

They've explained why one needs to tap out. You tap out so you don't pay max fare. Although this makes me wonder if Vancouver will slowly transition into a distance-based system and not zones.

Tapping out is annoying.

yea, i really don't get the whole point of having to tap out.

Standard practice in virtually any Asian transit system. Complain all you want and raise any legitimate objections, but it's the standard.

They've explained why one needs to tap out. You tap out so you don't pay max fare. Although this makes me wonder if Vancouver will slowly transition into a distance-based system and not zones.

This why I like Victoria Transit..

Taping in is only required, but since most of the drivers are friendly/don't care you can usually just get on by showing your student card (U-Pass) if you forgot to activate your pass..

Tapping out on bus rides is a pretty dumb idea, can you imagine during rush hour, a bus full of people, and people are rushing to get off the bus and having to tap out one by one?

I don't know about other Asian transit systems, but MTR/and HK Bus system goes by distance fare, only tap once for buses/mini vans, bus fare decreases as the distance to final stop gets closer.

What if they had the tap in/tap out things at the bus stops instead (or as well...). Tapping in and out is going to be a PAIN during rush hour. I also have to wonder who determined the number of turnstiles at the skytrain/CanadaLine stations. Langara station only gets 2?! It's crazy and isn't going to work come the school year and everyone's gotta tap in and out of the station....

What if they had the tap in/tap out things at the bus stops instead (or as well...). Tapping in and out is going to be a PAIN during rush hour. I also have to wonder who determined the number of turnstiles at the skytrain/CanadaLine stations. Langara station only gets 2?! It's crazy and isn't going to work come the school year and everyone's gotta tap in and out of the station....

Commercial/Broadway is going to be an absolute gongshow when everyone's tapping.

As is the 99, 145, etc.

This why I like Victoria Transit..

Taping in is only required, but since most of the drivers are friendly/don't care you can usually just get on by showing your student card (U-Pass) if you forgot to activate your pass..

Never thought I'd hear anyone say that

Is it still possible to sell U-Passes though once this comes into effect? I guess we won't know until it comes out for about a month

UBC has been advertising a combined transit-student card for a while. If that is the case, then it will probably put an end to U-Pass sales since they can probably de-activate cards that are reported "missing".

Archived