The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] 2 Key Signings, and a few offseason trades.

First Trade

To TBL: Kevin Bieksa + VAN 2016 3rd round pick

To VAN: Anton Stralman

After watching Bieksa this season, we came to the conclusion that he cant get the job done anymore. Silly mistakes in the defensive/offensive zone, pinching down low resulting in goals scored against us, fighting at the wrong time etc.

Although he has a NTC, I think he would move if management asked him. Not to mention Tampa is a win-now team, and he'd get to play with his buddy Garrison in the sun!

I love Juice, and his leadership role he has, but we cant afford to have him if he's going to continue to make mistakes that have an affect on how others players on the team play (Sbisa.)

Second Trade

To PHI: Zack Kassian, Brendan Gaunce, Ryan Miller, Adam Clendenning, Chris Higgins

To VAN: PHI 6th overall pick in 2015

Third trade

To Any team: Weber, Sbisa, Hansen

To VAN: 2nd or 3rd round pick

FA Singings

- Matt Beleksy @ 4 years, 4.75 AAV

- Mike Green @ 3 years, 6.75 AAV

Lineup

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Vrbata

Baertschi - Horvat - Belesky

Burrows - Bonino - Virtanen

Dorsett - Richarson - Kenins

Edler - Tanev

Green - Hamhuis

Corrado - Stralman

Draft either Crouse or Marner (whoever is still avilable at 6th overall)

JB and TL have said that they want to retool throughout the draft but stay competitive at the same time. After these trades, we will have our future #1 Centre, or PMD if we can develop them right, and we still have a competitive youngish lineup that should be able to make the playoffs every year.

Thoughts?

thats a lot of contracts going to philly for a single pick... each team has a limit to the # of contracts that the team can sign so i doubt that trade would actually be legal.

I always scoff at UFA signings because it's a crap shoot and all the power goes to the player. As for Bieksa trade I doubt he's going anywhere but trade seems alright.

belesky at 4.75 is as lols as clarkson at 5.25.

no way tampa trades stralman for a third

philly would be getting good value, and a real goalie

I think the Bieksa - Stralman deal is pretty fair. Bieksa is worth about a second round pick, and would provide a ton of leadership to a very young inexperienced team in Tampa.

LOL, oh CDC. OP gives practically no reason why TB would trade their top right-side D-man (Stralman) who plays with Hedman and put up almost 40 points this past season but only says that we don't need Juice anymore, then goes to say that TB is a "win-now" team, as if implying they could use Juice for that for "leadership".

Let me ask the supporters of that trade a question: what about Juice's declining game makes you believe he and a 3rd could command such a top return? Remember, Stralman is no longer a 7th D-man who occasionally got scratched with the Rangers but a top-pairing defenseman, and Juice may or may not be able to play in a shutdown role, like he did with Hammer, anymore. It is not fair or alright but a homer trade to be brutally honest, like if Toronto traded Eric Brewer to us for Edler. Would any of you do that?

It's also not Juice refusing to leave that would be the biggest obstacle to this trade, but that Stevie Y. is an intelligent GM who would not make such a trade to sacrifice his team's window of opportunity.

LOL, oh CDC. OP gives practically no reason why TB would trade their top right-side D-man (Stralman) who plays with Hedman and put up almost 40 points this past season but only says that we don't need Juice anymore, then goes to say that TB is a "win-now" team, as if implying they could use Juice for that for "leadership".

Let me ask the supporters of that trade a question: what about Juice's declining game makes you believe he and a 3rd could command such a top return? Remember, Stralman is no longer a 7th D-man who occasionally got scratched with the Rangers but a top-pairing defenseman, and Juice may or may not be able to play in a shutdown role, like he did with Hammer, anymore. It is not fair or alright but a homer trade to be brutally honest, like if Toronto traded Eric Brewer to us for Edler. Would any of you do that?

It's also not Juice refusing to leave that would be the biggest obstacle to this trade, but that Stevie Y. is an intelligent GM who would not make such a trade to sacrifice his team's window of opportunity.

It's a message board. If you don't like the trade/think it's realistic you dot have to respond.

First Trade

To TBL: Kevin Bieksa + VAN 2016 3rd round pick

To VAN: Anton Stralman

Second Trade

To PHI: Zack Kassian, Brendan Gaunce, Ryan Miller, Adam Clendenning, Chris Higgins

To VAN: PHI 6th overall pick in 2015

Third trade

To Any team: Weber, Sbisa, Hansen

To VAN: 2nd or 3rd round pick

First trade I was like "alright, yea I would do that"

Second and third trade I almost broke my cheek with my palm

Tampa Trade:

Stralman is the upgrade piece, so if Tampa is in "win-now" mode, why would they be looking to downgrade in order to pick up a 3rd round draft pick? This is something a rebuidling team might do. Stralman is 28 with a $4.5 cap hit, Bieksa is 34 with a $4.6 cap hit. Both Tampa and Vancouver are cap teams, so the cap hit is more important than the actual $ paid (in Bieksa's case he's only being paid $2.5 in real dollars next season, making him ideal to be sent to a team that needs to reach the cap floor, yet have an internal budget for players. Would Bieksa wave to go to a team like that? Maybe, maybe not).

Philly Trade:

Any trade for a top 10 pick would probable have to include a swap of 1st rounders. Exceptions to this would be if they are getting a guy they think will be a star on their team, like how the Devils were willing to give up the Bo Horvat pick for Schneider knowing he was going to be the starting goalie in the near future. I don't know if any of the guys you suggested fit that mold. Nice pieces, but not really on the same level.

Trades for 2nds & 3rds:

Hansen fits the type of player that could be moved for one of these picks - good player, good cap hit. Another guy fitting this mold is Higgins. But Sbisa is probably not tradeable due to him being recently signed to a contract that most people are saying is too rich for what he provides. Weber is RFA, so unless someone thinks he's going to be pretty good for them, I don't see anyone pursuing him and offering more than a late rounder to get his negotiation rights.

Corrado and Clendenning have to clear Waivers starting next year (both have to be re-signed), so VAN definitely has to move a piece out on the blue line. Maybe packaging a Bieksa or a Hamhuis with our 1st to someone would allow us to move up. Trading a goalie is also something that needs to happen otherwise we probably lose Markstrom for nothing given his qualifying offer has to be around $1 mil or something like that so he wont be able to be buried in the minors. Maybe adding Markstrom as a piece with a D-man mentioned earlier and our 1st is the best way to move up this year.

no, no, bieksa's worth a 2nd!

thats a lot of contracts going to philly for a single pick... each team has a limit to the # of contracts that the team can sign so i doubt that trade would actually be legal.

This was my first thought when I saw the proposals as well.

So we're getting rid of 9 total pieces and picking up 1 Anton Stralman, a handful of 2nd or 3rd round picks and the 6th overall pick?

Sweet...Sean Day or Jakob Chycrun here we come!!!

Why?

because if you do this, and get rid of Gaunce in the process (which I've never been for) we're drafting top 5 next year

Archived