The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Nashville make the right choice?

Like a few already said, Philly would likely have been a much better team with Weber lowering those picks.

With that being said you can make the argument that they may have made out fine ether way. As good as Weber is, hockey is a team sport and if you add 4 strong hockey players to your roster it can have an even greater gain even if none are individually better players than Weber. Of course those players could always bust but had they taken the picks they could have still ended up a very strong team.

Thoughhhh Nashville is not the greatest hockey market and with all the star players gone and the team likely not as good in the development phase it could have cost the city their team.

So I would have kept him also but still ether way could have been a win.

No you are wrong Nashville would not have received 4 first round picks. The contract was structured so that it would only cost the Philly 2 first round picks and a 2nd and 3rd whatever it was.

You're also leaving out the fact that with Weber Philly is a playoff team so you can bet those first round picks would be even more worthless.

Going from most sources it still would have came to 4 first round picks. It could be wrong though.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/predators-match-offer-sheet-for-shea-weber/article4438523/

But the Predators’ hands were tied. They are finally making inroads with the sporting public in Nashville, and declining to match the Flyers’ offer would have turned off their fans. Plus, the four first-round draft picks the Predators would have received as compensation for Weber from the Flyers would not have come close to matching his value.

Also I clearly stated that the flyers would have been better and their picks would likely be higher. So no I wasn't leaving that fact out.

Remember at the time the Predators just finished 4 in the western conference and seemed to be headed in the right direction. It was well known that during that summer the Predators were going to lose either Suter or Weber as they couldn’t afford to sign both. Also you can't really compare looking at the where the flyer ended up drafted as the Flyers likely would have been a better team had Weber been on their roster. But for argument sake let’s just look at a few key names that the Predators could have got as part of the compensation. Nashville also could have used the extra 1st round picks as an additional trade pieces in other deals. Lots to consider.

This is incorrect.

Shea Weber's offer sheet came on July 19th of 2012, 2 weeks after Suter had already left.

Ryan Suter signed in Minnesota because that's where he wanted to be, not because Nashville couldn't afford him. The Predators put forward a very lucrative offer.

Nashville made the right call. Not just for the team on the ice, but for their market. Losing both their star defencemen in a 2 week span when they didn't have much else to market would have been catastrophic for them.

Nashville technically had a full year prior to resign Suter. Hindsight it 20/20, had they known Flyers were going to send an offer sheet, had they known they were going to draft Jones 4th overall, had they known that Josi would turn into the player he is today. They might have done things differently. But at the time with the knowledge they had at the moment and the way things went down. They likely did make the right choice and match the offer. With that said, if a team today offered the pred's 4 first round picks or an equivalent type deal, i think it's something they would have to consider. Heck I'd consider our 2015 first, 2016 first, McCann, Hammer and Clendening/corrado for Jones.

Going from most sources it still would have came to 4 first round picks. It could be wrong though.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/predators-match-offer-sheet-for-shea-weber/article4438523/

But the Predators’ hands were tied. They are finally making inroads with the sporting public in Nashville, and declining to match the Flyers’ offer would have turned off their fans. Plus, the four first-round draft picks the Predators would have received as compensation for Weber from the Flyers would not have come close to matching his value.

Also I clearly stated that the flyers would have been better and their picks would likely be higher. So no I wasn't leaving that fact out.

Nashville technically had a full year prior to resign Suter. Hindsight it 20/20, had they known Flyers were going to send an offer sheet, had they known they were going to draft Jones 4th overall, had they known that Josi would turn into the player he is today. They might have done things differently. But at the time with the knowledge they had at the moment and the way things went down. They likely did make the right choice and match the offer. With that said, if a team today offered the pred's 4 first round picks or an equivalent type deal, i think it's something they would have to consider. Heck I'd consider our 2015 first, 2016 first, McCann, Hammer and Clendening/corrado for Jones.

Irrelevant. They tried to re-sign Suter and Weber. They lost Suter, despite Poile being confident they could get a deal done because they had a comparable offer on the table to what Suter got from the Wild. Then comes the offer sheet. It meant they had to pay much more than they'd hoped, but when the offer sheet comes along, they've already lost one star defenceman. They were always going to match, it was a foregone conclusion. They know, especially as they continue to establish themselves in their market, that there's no way they can lose both of them in a 2 week window.

Yes, from a hockey perspective, it's something to consider, depending on where you project the picks to end up, and the depth you have in other areas on the ice. But to the fans buying the tickets, all they see is their favorite player and the teams franchise player leaving town for a handful of picks. That doesn't translate to tickets sold, fans in the seats or revenue.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/7/19/3169706/shea-weber-philadelphia-flyers-nashville-predators-contract-offer-sheet-dallas-stars

The initial reaction to this deal is that the Stars not only could have matched such a financial commitment, but that the supposed compensation of two 1sts, a 2nd, and 3rd would be more than worth it for a once-in-a-lifetime top defenseman who is still just 27 years old and coming into his prime as a hockey players. For the Flyers, who have been one of the top teams in the East the past few years, that level of compensation is certainly more than worth it as they'd likely be picked in the late 20's with Weber on the team.

I can't find where Bob Mackenzie says its but it was initially thought to be 4 first round picks but the majority of the contract was all bonuses so the cap hit was not high enough to actually warrant 4 first round picks and it actually was just two 1sts, 2nd and a 3rd.

Adding Weber to the Flyers would've changed the dynamic of where they finished in the league as well. So the picks that you posted in the last few years, although would be about right if they Flyers drafted in the same position.. Probably would be higher picks as Weber could single handedly change the outlook of a franchise. Having Weber would've restricted cap space too for the Flyers so there team would look different.

I think Nashville is content with their decision...Weber doesnt get hurt, who knows, maybe they beat the Hawks this year instead. Either way, as an organization, they are in a good position. No reason the Preds should be regretting that decision.

Nobody knows with certainty what the Flyers would have been with Weber. Sure they add a legit #1 on their backend, but they still would have had to remove 7-8 million dollars from their roster as well.

yeah the flyers picks would have been way higher had nashville not matched, but it would have allowed nashville to use those late 1st round picks to acquire other assets/trade up, plus their own picks would have been WAY lower.

Since they haven't won a cup yet i will say no. Even without Weber i am sure any canuck fan would trade d-core with Nashvilles. Add four solid prospects and some smart free agent signings to spend to the cap and you never know. Thats alot of cheddar for just one player.

In the summer of 2012, the Nashville predators were left with a choice, Do they match? The Philadelphia Flyers signed RFA Shae Weber to a ridiculous offer worth 100 million over 14 years. The predators had 7 days to decide whether they accept the offer or to opt out and receive compensation. If the Predators decided to not to match, they would have received a package of four first-round draft picks from the Flyers.

In the end the predators decided to match the offer and retain their captain. Now 3 years later we can start to look back and discuss, so far that was the right choice.

Remember at the time the Predators just finished 4 in the western conference and seemed to be headed in the right direction. It was well known that during that summer the Predators were going to lose either Suter or Weber as they couldnt afford to sign both. Also you can't really compare looking at the where the flyer ended up drafted as the Flyers likely would have been a better team had Weber been on their roster. But for argument sake lets just look at a few key names that the Predators could have got as part of the compensation. Nashville also could have used the extra 1st round picks as an additional trade pieces in other deals. Lots to consider.

Flyers ended up drafting Morin 11th Overall

Other options Domi, Morrissey, Lazar, Zadorov, Rychel, Mantha, Shinkaruk

Flyers ended up drafting Sanheim 17th overall

Other options Fabbri, Kapanen, Pastrnak, McCann, Ho-Sang, Kempe

Flyers are set to draft 7th overall

Options Provorov, Barzal, Zacha, Crouse

2016 ???

???

Did Nashville make the right choice?

given your saying they could have kept Sutter then that's Suter plus 4 1st round picks. I would have let him go. Even though those picks would have been lower cause sw would have made them better that's alot of good players.

The right decision from a long term standpoint would have been to take the 4 draft picks. However, from a short term view they couldn't let that happen - they would have lost quite a few fans had they let him walk. I recall at the time that they were being bashed in the media for not spending and doing what it takes to win so letting their top guy go would have fed into that. Of course now that contract is subject to recapture penalties should Weber retire early. Their front office was in a tough spot.

Yes they did, with Weber, Josi and Jones they probably have 3 of the top 15 defense-men in the NHL. Roman Josi is sucha stud, so under appreciated just because Weber and Jones are such studs themselves. I really think Nashville will be a cup contender in the next 1-2 years once they round out that top 6

In a PERFECT world they choose 1 to keep(eg:Weber, can control as RFA) & deal the other at the preceding TDL.

Then they'd be able to obtain a nice stash of futures too(esp young fwds, which they needed). Maybe at that moment, the Nashville market wouldn't have been patient for further building.

Poile seems to play it fairly safe & conservatively in a smaller market. If memory serves, isn't this how he played his hand in Washington, as well?

Archived