The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

IIHF World Cup observations

Boudrias

This has been a pretty entertaining tourney. IMO the NHL made a huge mistake when they did not mandate international ice size with all new rinks years ago. By

now all would be pretty much done.

Maybe this year is more interesting simply because Team Canada is the class of

the competition.

Canuck Connections:

Hamhuis: He just looks better on bigger ice. He is having a great tournament and

wore the "C" in their last game against Slovakia. Crosby sat out.

Bonino: Sorry but the more I watch Nick Bonino the less impressed I am. I thought

he might have ended the season injured but he went to Prague so that could not be

true. He looks slow and plays small. Can he be a 2C, maybe, but I don't see much

yet. If he cannot then 3C has lots of compete coming up to push him.

Mario Bliznak: A name from the past as he plays for Team Slovakia #55. He appears

to be their 2C or 3C. Still solid on the FO %. Now playing at 196 pounds. Has now spent 3 years in the KHL. Not a big point producer but looks like his forte

is on the d-side. He only got a brief look by the Canucks after a great Giants

career. Felt bad that he did not get a real chance with Van.

Young Kids:

Jack Eichel; He is a leader with Team USA. Stands out like a sore thumb. Buffalo

will be very happy with this guy. 6 points in 7 games.

Aaron Ekblad: If this kid does not get Rookie of the Year it will be a joke. I

don't care about the others. I have not seen such an aware player at his age in

years. He is scoring at 1.0 ppg at Worlds. He is physically dominating. IMHO he

is so good that people are starting to already take him for granted.

Scott Salmond: Good BC boy is now high up in Hockey Canada. I remember the hockey talk

in his Dad's hardware store way back when.

This has been a pretty entertaining tourney. IMO the NHL made a huge mistake when they did not mandate international ice size with all new rinks years ago. By

the competition.

Canuck Connections:

Hamhuis: He just looks better on bigger ice. He is having a great tournament and

Bonino: Sorry but the more I watch Nick Bonino the less impressed I am. I thought

he might have ended the season injured but he went to Prague so that could not be

true. He looks slow and plays small. Can he be a 2C, maybe, but I don't see much

Mario Bliznak: A name from the past as he plays for Team Slovakia #55. He appears

to be their 2C or 3C. Still solid on the FO %. Now playing at 196 pounds. Has now spent 3 years in the KHL. Not a big point producer but looks like his forte

Young Kids:

Jack Eichel; He is a leader with Team USA. Stands out like a sore thumb. Buffalo

Scott Salmond: Good BC boy is now high up in Hockey Canada. I remember the hockey talk

Good observations. Everything makes sense to me. (At least I was thinking pretty much the same thing about the size of the rink, Hammer, Bonino, Ekblad, and Eichel.

With all due respect to Horvat, who is a very good young player, it would be great to have a potential franchise-type player like Ekblad or Eichel (or McDavid) in the system. They are hard to get and won't come from drafting in the #23 spot.

There is no way Ekblad can't win the Calder. For a defenceman to step in and play that well both ends of the ice greatly trumps any offensive forward who doesn't have a 2 way game.

Good observations. Everything makes sense to me. (At least I was thinking pretty much the same thing about the size of the rink, Hammer, Bonino, Ekblad, and Eichel.

With all due respect to Horvat, who is a very good young player, it would be great to have a potential franchise-type player like Ekblad or Eichel (or McDavid) in the system. They are hard to get and won't come from drafting in the #23 spot.

Getzlaf Giroux Perry and Tarasenko says hi.

AV dropped the Canucks another pick last night with the win. How about #23 plus Miller in a deal to move

higher? :)

Dare I say Sweden experienced the same Sedin withdrawal symptoms we will encounter when they retire. They will only be really appreciated even at the age and level of play they are now, when they are gone.

Sweden had plenty of skill and physicality but lacked composure, the kind of composure a team needs in these red hot situations.

the competition.

Canuck Connections:

Young Kids:

Scotty and I played Jr together in Vernon. Our first rookie camp as 16 year olds we both agreed in the dressing room we needed to go out there and make an instant impression on the coaches......we fought three times in the first scrimmage and we both the made the team as the youngest players in the lineup, along with Dave Oliver. He's a great guy

Getzlaf Giroux Perry and Tarasenko says hi.

Tarasenko (so far) and Kelser are not anywhere near being "franchise players".

Getzlaf, Perry, and Giroux are low first rounders who have done very well. I agree it is possible to get franchise-type players (i.e. potential Hart, Ross, or Norris trophy winners) outside the top part of the first round of the draft. But it is not easy and is getting harder as scouting gets more scientific.

Scotty and I played Jr together in Vernon. Our first rookie camp as 16 year olds we both agreed in the dressing room we needed to go out there and make an instant impression on the coaches......we fought three times in the first scrimmage and we both the made the team as the youngest players in the lineup, along with Dave Oliver. He's a great guy

Stawns, isn't it a small world. I never knew Scotty that well but most certainly his Dad & Mom. Wayne was a real bear. Scott looks a lot like him.

Jagr was playing like a 20 year old today. WOW! If only . . . I thought he played amazing for the Czechs in this tournament. How their first goal today didn't count is beyond my imagination. Game might have ended differently if it had counted but I thought Canada played great with a lot of speed too.

On another note, look at how great Hall looks playing with Crosby. I tell you when good players can be with good or great it just makes them look so much better. That is why I think Hammer looks so good out there and he is probably having the time of his life. Good on him and I hope we keep him.

Makes you just want something different here . . .

Hardly watching any Stanley Cup play. Haven't missed at Team Canada game yet. They are hands down the class of this year's

World Cup. I hope they embarrass the Russians this morning.

Jagr is a different kind of guy. Very strange body language when he was picked as one of the three best Czech players. Very unique

player who still can play at a high level at 43 years old.

Often wonder while watching what if Jamie Bend had been able to play?

Archived