The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ex Red Wings star Slava Fetisov wants to ban young Russians from NHL

MOSCOW — Former Detroit Red Wings star Slava Fetisov has called for Russia to reintroduce Soviet-style restrictions to prevent promising young hockey players from moving to the NHL.

Fetisov, who is now a senator in Russia, tells Russia’s R-Sport news agency that federal law should be used to stop Russian players from moving to North America before they turn 28.

The aim is to keep “our most talented guys, the ones who the people come to see.”

Fetisov was one of the first players to benefit from the relaxation of Soviet-era rules which prevented any hockey players from leaving. He moved to the NHL in 1989 with the New Jersey Devils when he was 31, and went on to win two Stanley Cups with the Red Wings.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/05/22/ex-red-wings-star-slava-fetisov-wants-to-ban-young-russians-from-nhl.html

Once a commie, always a commie.

That would make sense if he stayed in Russia rather than defecting..

I am sure this statement was probably one those heat of the moment types..

With the KHL in disarray and the Russian National Team losing three championship deciding games (Olympics, WJC, WC) I am sure everyone in Russia is pissed off...

Can't say that I blame him. You wan't to see your home grown talent play at home. This would probably once again lead to young stars defecting when playing overseas. And I could see lawsuits brought against the Russian Federation and/or KHL, although with the current dictatorship, this would probably be unlikely. Maybe a compromise like not being able to play in the NHL until after the age of say 25 could work.

Clearly bitter, about the loss. Yes bann them hhaha? Does it mean they will win a gold medal in hockey? Seriously, its obivous they are upset that Russia got rocked by a Canadian team who didn't even have their A list guys. It's okay Russia next time learn to play a team game. All they did was look for breakaway passes, goodluck beating Canada with that.

That's funny coming from him. Cool story, I saw a 30 for 30 documentary recently where they interviewed Lou Lamoriello about him. Lou flew out to Russia to get his contract done, said they did the contract negotiations in a seedy hotel room that he could tell was wired, even Fetisov hinted at the room being wired. So they just had a regular conversation and did the actual contract negotiations back and forth on pen and paper on the table.

Clearly bitter, about the loss. Yes bann them hhaha? Does it mean they will win a gold medal in hockey? Seriously, its obivous they are upset that Russia got rocked by a Canadian team who didn't even have their A list guys. It's okay Russia next time learn to play a team game. All they did was look for breakaway passes, goodluck beating Canada with that.

I would facepalm if I wasn't on my phone right now.

Misleading title vs report posted in OP.

Fetisov wants to ban them according to title but not release them to play in NHL until age of 28 yrs according to report posted in OP. We don't let our own players play in the NHL until they turn 18. We also don't let them play in the AHL if they don't make NHL after draft year.

Not as crazy a thought as portrayed by thread title.

Edit: CDC only reads thread title and responds. lol barely anyone reads the actual report.

Misleading title vs report posted in OP.

Fetisov wants to ban them according to title but not release them to play in NHL until age of 28 yrs according to report posted in OP. We don't let our own players play in the NHL until they turn 18. We also don't let them play in the AHL if they don't make NHL after draft year.

Not as crazy a thought as portrayed by thread title.

It said "ban young Russians", not "ban all Russians". I don't think it's very misleading, but okay.

This could be a good idea. It would prevent young Russian stars from sign a monstrous contract, then skipping town to go to KHL.

This is a myth more than anything. How many Russian born players have actually done this besides Radulov and Kovalchuk?

It said "ban young Russians", not "ban all Russians". I don't think it's very misleading, but okay.

Just read the first page of responses to your thread. ppl were mislead.

Even ppl who talk about Fetisov defecting may not know Fetisov didn't defect until he was 30 years old. I watched him play. One of greatest Dmen of all time.

This is a myth more than anything. How many Russian born players have actually done this besides Radulov and Kovalchuk?

I think Radulov was RFA when he left. Kovalchuck was about to start making big money when he left. His contract was middle loaded, I believe he made around 6 mill per year when he left. He was about to start making a lot more.

How is this even remotely the same thing as the NHL being a men's league? To the second sentence, "we" don't hold them back from playing in the AHL; it's the agreement between the CHL and AHL that prevents the CHL's young stars from leaving before they're 20. If the KHL wanted to form a similar type of agreement with the NHL, then that would be perfectly reasonable IMO (read: any players that wished to get around this could simply play elsewhere). Russia forming laws preventing anyone under 28 leaving the country to play hockey is a completely different animal.

Instead of forcing players to play in the KHL, the league should look at improving the conditions and pay for their players.

Some players don't even get paid for months (Ryan Whitney is a good example) the KHL is falling apart, much like the country they play in. You can't expect world class players to stay in Russia when they can literally bank millions in sunny Florida or Anaheim.

Hell, even Edmonton is an upgrade considering you're not living in god forsaken Russia!

Archived