The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking Back On Cup Run

Nucks89

It's time to bury the past. We lost. We were losers to the bruisers. Nothing but painful memories and past players in their prime, and a GMs already big ego which blew up 100x past what it should have been. Hope kesler takes it this all year, he deserves it.

I see AV leaving Leaky Lu out there in Boston to get ventilated while keeping a better goalie on the bench.

AV is clueless when it comes to goalies. Leaving Luongo in to get embarrassed in both Chicago and Boston was a mistake. He seems to be repeating history with Lundqvuist.

I could be wrong but didn't Luongo say he didn't like being pulled even when the games got out of hand?

I remember it as some of my best hockey memories as well as some of my most painful.. Game 5 was amazing. I honestly thought the cup was ours. Game 6 was just heart breaking. Scored 2 on Thomas, hit 3 posts, and played our best hockey of the series, only for Lu to blow it in the first 10 minutes of the game. Game 7 after was the biggest let down in Canucks history. That cup should have been ours. We were that close.

I remember in at least two games us coming out strong putting on lots of pressure, being stoned by Thomas then Boston comes down and scores a softie on Luongo. If we would have had stellar playoff goaltending like teams in the finals usually get we would have won the cup despite our injuries. Canucks were a better hockey team than the Bruins aside from goaltending.

I remember in at least two games us coming out strong putting on lots of pressure, being stoned by Thomas then Boston comes down and scores a softie on Luongo. If we would have had stellar playoff goaltending like teams in the finals usually get we would have won the cup despite our injuries. Canucks were a better hockey team than the Bruins aside from goaltending.

Yeah, and I mean to give Lu credit, he did steal 3 games for us in the finals. But at the same time, Luongo for whatever reason couldn't stop a beach ball in Boston. Games 3 and 6, both games Vancouver played well, only to be ruined by soft goals by Lu. AV should've started Schnieder in one lf those games. But hindsight's 20/20 I suppose.

I remember the almost epic collapse in round 1 with a couple of patented Luongo meltdown games.

A second round that probably should've been over in 5 games or less but went 6.

A third round against an injury riddled team that was even more notorious for choking in the playoffs than our own. Good series to watch though.

And a Final series that was incredibly frustrating to look at after the first 2 games. A top offence that was rendered completely helpless and a goaltender that when he wasn't posting shutouts was getting lit up like a christmas tree.

The 2011 playoffs are one that I'd like to forget whereas the playoffs of 1994 are what I remember fondly. I just wish we could get rid of the remnants of that 2011 group and start fresh with a new core of enthusiastic and hungry players who'd do anything to win, unlike what we have right now.

A should-have-won scenario, and would have for sure if not for being decimated by injuries, and horrible officiating/suspensions.

Look at all the recent cup winners, somehow they stay relatively unscathed. I don't know how teams like Chicago and LA stay healthy every year, but it's pretty frustrating to see them get all the luck while we get none.

Boston was just not that great...the better team lost that year. Nucks went through far more difficult teams getting to the final and had a lot more injuries, but the horrific officiating made the biggest difference. I will never see the NHL as anything more than bush league after watching that series. Just dreadful.

Archived