The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Championship in 2 Years

There is a large free agency pool coming up in 2016, granted most of the players on there won't remain but there are a few teams who don't have the cap space to re-sign their players and some of these players will want to test free agency.

This Years Draft:

To Ottawa:

Hamhuis

Bonino

To Van:

42nd pick

48th pick

To Pittsburgh:

Vrbata

Higgins

To Van:

2016 1st round pick

To San Jose:

Miller

McCann

Gaunce

Hansen

42nd pick

48th pick

Pittsburgh 1st Rounder

To Vancouver:

9th Overall Pick

Tomas Hertl

Draft Barzal With 9th pick

Draft Meloche With 23rd Pick

2016 Offseason:
Sign Lucic
Sign Seabrook
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Lucic Horvat Hertl
Kassian Barzal Baerschi
Dorsett Cassels Shinkaruk
Kenins
Edler Seabrook
Sbisa Tanev
Corrado Bieksa
Meloche
Lack
Markstrom

in two years Sedins' won't be our top guys. The trades seem unrealistic, I don't see the Sanjose trade improving us. No Gaurantee Lucic and Seabrook signs here then what. Can't rush the rebuild, it's going to happen. Although I do agree with cleaning house and getting picks because the playoffs this year is showing what a winner looks like.Therefore, Benning needs to clean house but in your trades your getting rid of draft picks and young prospects.

And even on a fantasy team you still have Bieksa on the team, I just saw that. Watch the playoffs, freaking go watch them and see how defence play and then ask yourself what we really need.

Answer- young defence who can develop into studs. Your not going to win a cup with that defence you showed on the fantasy team.

I never say "I stopped reading when" because I'm just not someone who stops reading something once I've started.

However, I did come pretty close to having "stopped reading when":

To Ottawa:

Hamhuis

Bonino

To Van:

42nd pick

48th pick

Well, maybe not "stopped reading" entirely but I definitely stopped really taking this proposal seriously at that point (but I still finished reading the rest).

I just can't even consider the valuations on the final multiplayer trade when things start out this way.

Why would the Canucks sell that low on Hamhuis and Bonino? Hamhuis alone should yield (at least) a first round pick. Hell, I've seen several proposals made by Sens fans where they offer their 18th overall plus another good asset for Hamhuis. And Bonino, especially given his sweetheart of a contract, could probably get a pretty decent return on his own.

I'd say Hamhuis + Bonino would be worth something closer to #18 + #42 + #48 from Ottawa (although I don't see them actually moving that many picks but for a valuation that's pretty close IMO). Possibly could yield even more, from a value standpoint, although I really don't see them adding anything if they actually offered all three of those picks (but if players/prospects were coming back, instead of purely draft picks, I think you could get an even stronger overall package).

Similarly, I think we could get more out of Pittsburgh than their 2016 first for Vrbata + Higgins. Vrbata alone would likely be worth the first rounder. With Higgins added in, you probably should get (at least) a 1st round pick plus a "B" prospect/complimentary roster player/equivalent draft pick.

And as far as the last deal goes, it's the usual case we see on these boards where a "volume" proposal is made to acquire another team's "quality" pieces (although we'd be giving up some quality as well) and those are pretty tough to break down in terms of valuation (and I honestly can't be bothered at this point).

As far as the list of players the OP has on offer, I'd rather not move any of McCann, Gaunce, or Hansen. And I don't think we'd really need to trade any of them, since the returns on the first two trades (Hamhuis + Bonino and Vrbata + Higgins) should be significantly higher than what's proposed.

I'm also not a huge fan of Hertl (not saying he isn't talented but I just don't like him as a player--it's a personal thing), so I'd probably just try to make an offer (using some of the acquired pieces) for the 9th overall alone.

One part I do like is trading Miller. However, I don't expect he'd add much actual trade value to the overall package. But if Benning can find a way to clear Miller's cap off the books (especially if he can do so without offering retention), and he can recover some high draft picks by moving a couple other vets, I'll call it a pretty successful summer's work.

Archived