The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion]Bring Back Mike Santorelli?

santorelli-620-thumb-620xauto-333165.jpg

If I had to choose between Bonino and Santorelli as a 2nd line C, my personal preference would be to go with Mike. More suited for the top 6. His speed and vision would do wonders with Vrbata, and his work ethic, I think, would be heavily appreciated by WD, JB & TL. He is versatile as well-PP/PK can move up and down the line up etc. A model type veteran for youngsters to learn from. If the Canucks manage to re-sign Richardson as well, they could probably get a good pick for the 2016-17 draft or young prospect for Bonino if they chose to move him. He is in his prime right now, and I think it wouldn't be a stretch to see a couple of career best seasons coming up

Sure.

While we're at it, lets inquire about every ex-Canuck who has a had a modicum of success with the team. Surely we can rebuild a version of the 2011 team that almost won.

The ship sailed on Santorelli. They didn't want to re-sign him. Why now?

Why?

Love the guy but we've far to many C/Ws as is and we NEED to get younger not re-sign guys approaching 30.

If we keep signing plugs and bottom 6 energy players we'll never have room for the Horvats/Gaunces/Greniers and shinkaruks let alone mcCaans and more.

Imo, Santorelli got a raw deal the season before last.

He played phenomenally until his injury, and deserved to come back this past season and prove his production wasn't a fluke. But then Benning traded Kesler and got "his version" of Santorelli, and opted not to re-sign him.

Imo, if we're going to continue being a 4 line team, we should have skill all through the line up. I'd sign Santo to a reasonable deal, 6 million over 3 years (2.00M/year AAV).

Let Bonino, Santorelli and Horvat duke it out in training camp for the 2C position. Personally I think Horvat takes the 2C position, while Santorelli @ 3C and Bonino @ 4C

Sedin

Horvat

Santorelli

Bonino

That's pretty good center depth.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata

Kenins - Santorelli - Kassian

Higgins - Bonino - Dorsett

Deal Hansen, Kenins and Santo would be good role models for Kassian to learn consistency and compete level. Higgins, Bonino and Dorsett can provide a good level of energy and defensive awareness.

Better yet, I'd love to see Virtanen make the club and deal both Higgins and Hansen:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Burrows - Bonino - Dorsett

Sure.

While we're at it, lets inquire about every ex-Canuck who has a had a modicum of success with the team. Surely we can rebuild a version of the 2011 team that almost won.

The ship sailed on Santorelli. They didn't want to re-sign him. Why now?

hyperbole much?

Santo is a good player, and I think he could do even better under WD than he did with Torts. Canucks need to infuse some speed and skill into their line up without huge risk- Santo can provide that. He is familiar with the team. JB/TL didn't go for him last season because I believe they wanted to give Vey/Bonino/Matthais opportunity. Matthais is likely gone and I don't think Vey is developing as fast as JB hoped, so Santorelli can be a stop gap while Vey keeps developing.

I'm not a Bonino hater, but getting a free player and trading another for more assets seems pretty reasonable to me. If Vrbata is traded at the deadline or walks after next season, having Santorelli can fill that top 6 winger position as well.

I'm all for it.

Imo, Santorelli got a raw deal the season before last.

He played phenomenally until his injury, and deserved to come back this past season and prove his production wasn't a fluke. But then Benning traded Kesler and got "his version" of Santorelli, and opted not to re-sign him.

Imo, if we're going to continue being a 4 line team, we should have skill all through the line up. I'd sign Santo to a reasonable deal, 6 million over 3 years (2.00M/year AAV).

Let Bonino, Santorelli and Horvat duke it out in training camp for the 2C position. Personally I think Horvat takes the 2C position, while Santorelli @ 3C and Bonino @ 4C

Sedin

Horvat

Santorelli

Bonino

That's pretty good center depth.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Dorsett

Deal Hansen, Kenins and Santo would be good role models for Kassian to learn consistency and compete level. Higgins, Bonino and Dorsett can provide a good level of energy and defensive awareness.

Better yet, I'd love to see Virtanen make the club and deal both Higgins and Hansen:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Burrows - Bonino - Dorsett

Agree but no to trading Hansen. He is the honeybadger for good reason!

I enjoyed Santo on the team last year, but I'm honestly more interested in seeing what our forward depth can bring to the table. If vey busts his tail and gets stronger on the boards and the circle, he could potentially compete with Horvat for 2C who is a strong candidate as well. Bonino can temporary fill in too, but can be a very reliable 3C, and let's not forget the competition for 4C with Richardson (if resigned), Cassels (If ready), Gaunce (if moved back to centre), Vey (cause we have him), or FA (If necessary).

Before VAN hired Benning, they were trying to sign Santo to another 1 year deal but he wanted a multi year contract. I'm not sure if Benning decided on dropping contract talks once he was hired, or if he was also willing to give Santo a 1 year but Santo wanted more.

And then he went UFA and only got a 1 year contract anyway.

Here's the link from The Province (Santo stuff is under 2):

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/06/03/hat-trick-is-it-trading-garrison-time/

without a doubt. I'm in

Lol what if we end up signing Franson and Santorelli. They can't demand top dollar after their stint in Nashville, and this is their hometown. They both fit very well with our team.

I enjoyed Santo while he was here, but there were a lot of question marks after he was out injured for such a long stretch if he could be consistent enough here to warrant the two year deal at the price he wanted. His history didn't do anything to help that so he would have had to taken another show me deal (maybe for a little more, but still one year) but he didn't want to.

We won't be going backwards to look at that option now, not since we already acquired Bonino and have Horvat stepping up.

Richardson will be our Santorelli (again) this year... Played really well for the half the season, but will be let go to test free agency this summer.

Unless JB signs Richardson to a decent 1-2 year deal that makes him a valuable asset come the trade deadline... But of course he only has value if he isn't injured and that is becoming more and more common for him in his career.

I was actually wondering when the next "Bring back "insert any ex-Canuck" thread would start.

Just like the threads on Salo, and Ohlund, and Bertuzzi, and Trent Klatt, and Marek Malik, and Bryan Allen, and Brent Sopel, Jarkko Ruutu, and Mika Noronen, players are best left in the rearview mirror. For better or for worse.

I get the nostalgia factor. But whether or not a player had success with the team at one point (Canucks or otherwise), isn't enough of a reason to bring them back. Perhaps that player was always meant as a stopgap until younger players were ready to step in (Horvat). Whatever the reason is, Benning and Co. have a plan going forward to lead the team in a new direction that is altogether different than what it has been over the past few years.

Santo, while surprising at the time, is a step back in the teams overall development.

Wasn't even dressed for 2 playoff games. Got 1 point in the 4 he did play. 4 points in the 22 regular season games prior to that, and a -7.

Was great early last season. Almost as good as Bonino was in October. But overall, not the answer.

Developing 30-40% of Horvat, Kenins, Vey, Virtanen, Grenier, Guance, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Cassels, McCann, Friesen, Zalewski, Petit, Fox, etc. into effective top-9 forwards - THAT is the answer.

Archived