The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Sestito vows revenge against the Canucks

Armada

Talk to most people, and they’ll tell you that Willie Desjardins was an upgrade on John Tortorella.

Tom Sestito is not most people. A year after playing a career-high 77 games for the Canucks and putting up a career-high five goals and a career-high nine points, he was perhaps the lone victim of this so-called “upgrade”. He played just three games for Willie Desjardins, who had even less interest in fighting than hitting. Then he was placed on waivers and sent to the Utica Comets.

It didn’t go well on the farm. After 10 games with the club, Sestito hurt his back, and the Canucks laid out a recovery plan: You grew up in Rome. That’s close to here. Why don’t you go home and get better… and then, like, not come back?

Sestito began to suspect that he wasn’t wanted. He took the deal, and the Canucks immediately updated their enforcer relationship status to single in a release. “The Canucks and Comets thank Tom for his contributions and wish him luck in the future.”

But the feeling is not mutual. Sestito has no gratitude. And he doesn’t wish the Canucks luck. He wants revenge. From the Syracuse Post-Standard:

“I will be back. And I have stuff to prove against them,” he said. “I didn’t get a chance to prove myself. I definitely deserved better. I got put in a bad situation.

“I know why they did it. They had their guys. I just think there’s certain games I could have played. It’s a business. I understand it. They just had their own way they wanted to see their team and I wasn’t a part. I don’t have hard feelings against Vancouver. I just want to make sure they know they made the wrong choice.”

So ominous. Give this man a robotic claw and a cat.

Granted, it’s probably hard for the Canucks to know they made the wrong choice when their farm team is in the Western Conference Final, which probably feels like vindication. But it was the wrong choice, says Sestito, and once he punches someone a few times, they’ll know. Oh, they’ll know.

According to the article, Sestito made it clear he plans to sign with a Western Conference team, allowing him to be closer to his target. Good plan. As a frequent healthy scratch, you don’t want just one shot at revenge. What if you’re in the pressbox for it? Better to sign in the Pacific Division, where you’ll have six cracks at it.

Although it’s hard to know who Sestito will fight in his revenge fantasy. Last year, he could have fought Tom Sestito, but the Canucks don’t have that guy anymore.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2015/05/26/tom-sestito-vows-revenge-on-the-canucks/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Question for you guys as well. Would Sestito have made a difference against Calgary?

Was just about to post it lol. Here's the original article for anyone interested:

http://www.syracuse.com/crunch/index.ssf/2015/05/ex-syracuse_cruncher_tom_sestito_takes_a_step_back_from_hockey_plans_revenge_on.html

Ex-Syracuse Cruncher Tom Sestito takes a step back from hockey, plots ways to prove Vancouver wrong

Just a few minutes away from the arena where his last hockey team is competing for an AHL Calder Cup, Tom Sestito recently held a paint brush instead of a stick.

By his own admission, Sestito doesn't know much about painting. But he's jumping into the play by helping a friend with some touch-up work at a restaurant in Rome, which is Sestito's hometown.

"I wouldn't say I'm really handy.'' Sestito said. "I don't do this stuff. I don't know how I got stuck doing it.''

Still, the diversion is an understandable one. By his own admission, after a season like the one he endured in 2014-15, Sestito simply enjoys anything that's not hockey right now.

The former Syracuse Crunch forward hasn't played since a divorce from the Vancouver Canucks organization in February. Sestito had cleared waivers and was sent to the Utica Comets. But then the Canucks and Sestito decided it would be best for both sides if he left the Comets and collected the rest of his paychecks at home.

"The Canucks and Comets thank Tom for his contributions and wish him luck in the future,'' the organization said in a release..

Sestito, 27, said the move was the product of a back injury he was battling and of the Canucks elbowing him out of their plans. Sestito played in 77 games for Vancouver in 2013-14 and was a feisty favorite of head coach John Tortorella. But after a management overhaul he became a frequent healthy scratch, playing in just three games for the Canucks this season and 10 with Utica.

"I took a break. It took a toll on the ol' mind. I got freshened up. It was good for me,'' he said of the layoff. "I think it was just time to go our separate ways. They put that option on the table. I think it worked out for the best for both sides. They wanted to play their younger guys.''

While he tries to remain diplomatic, that's a hat that poorly fits the straight-shooting Sestito. He will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, and he makes clear he hopes to sign with a Western Conference team.

All the better to bump into the Canucks a few times.

"I will be back. And I have stuff to prove against them,'' he said. "I didn't get a chance to prove myself. I definitely deserved better. I got put in a bad situation.

"I know why they did it. They had their guys. I just think there's certain games I could have played. It's a business. I understand it. They just had their own way they wanted to see their team and I wasn't a part. I don't have hard feelings against Vancouver. I just want to make sure they know they made the wrong choice.''

Meanwhile, the Comets have breezed along without the contributions of Sestito and are meeting Grand Rapids in the Western Conference finals. Sestito said he's happy for the team, and praised the work of head coach Travis Green.

But when a friend asked him if he wanted to go to Utica's Game 7 against Oklahoma City in the last round, Sestito took a pass.

"I just hope they do well because I like (team president) Rob Esche,'' Sestito said. "I definitely wish them the best.''

...idk why Tom is taking this so personally. The organization helped him a lot even when they demoted him to Utica and released him. He just didn't fit for the team anymore. I wish him the best but it just sounds like he's constantly whining.

Not sure if sarcasm or concussion induced self rambling diatribe.

either way I feel for the guy, dealt a bad hand by a very confusing season.

But the team is moving on without question. He might need to as well

It was his decision in part to walk away from the organization in it's entirety. He could have played a minor role with the Comets and continued to play. Instead there's resentment, and he walked from the sport entirely for most of the year, I don't think it will bode well in getting a new contract elsewhere.

Fighters and tough guys in the NHL now have to be able to actually play. Even Parros couldn't get a contract this year, so I doubt Sestito will manage one either.

It was his decision in part to walk away from the organization in it's entirety. He could have played a minor role with the Comets and continued to play. Instead there's resentment, and he walked from the sport entirely for most of the year, I don't think it will bode well in getting a new contract elsewhere.

Fighters and tough guys in the NHL now have to be able to actually play. Even Parros couldn't get a contract this year, so I doubt Sestito will manage one either.

I believe Parros has still not been cleared to play or at least at the start of the season.

However, I agree that the enforcer is a dying breed.

:rolleyes: Is he going to go all Toews and "expose the Canucks for what they really are" ?

Are people still making this joke?

I think if you look at everything thats happened between chicago and vancouver since that series, toews made a fair and valid comment.

Get in line.

Jordan%20Schroeder.jpg

8474570.jpg

8470839.jpg

8470054.jpg

8469581.jpg

michael_grabner.jpg

Manny%20Malhotra.jpg

8474668.jpg

8470310.jpg

8470854.jpg

Nice work. But I would add Jason Garrison to the list. I am guessing most teams have list of guys who are looking for revenge. But the Canucks list might be longer than most due to the combination of Gillis, Torts, and Benning. Not saying Benning is a bad GM, by the way. But being tactful is not his strong suit.

Interestingly, I don't think AV made many enemies, except maybe SOB (Shane O'Brien).

Archived