The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

this is a canadian thread

Twilight Sparkle

i was raised by my father, who was born in barrie, ontario, where the definition of boredom comes from. i have roots, with my granpda who was born in newfoundland where people ****in drink all night

i was born in prince rupert, where it rains 24/7, then moved to campbell river, where people all wear plaid jackets and and shop at walmart, cause there aint nothin there

when i moved to vancouver, at 6 years old, i had to get used to saying van-coo-ver and not vang-coo-ver

i was in san fransisco a few years ago, and someone called me out for saying sorry for bumping in to him. so ****in buddy starts shovin me and my buddy steps in and flips this guy's shirt over his head, and starts feedin him the rights and lefts. i was scared that we'd go to jail, because i had unpaid skytrain tickets, and i didn't know if that carried over as a felony or something in the states. i wasn't ready to play jail, so i ran. i met my buddy at the hotel and wondered why he didn't go to jail for wailing on this guy. he said he showed his BCID to this cop and he said "no way a canadian could do that" and they let him go, even though it happened on larkin in plain daylight

we hit up the bar, and we're drinkin and having a good time. we're in san fran, so i was talking to the gay guys there, because i dig gay people. i'm very respective of everyone's views. i started to get mad because people knew that i was an outsider and that i said i'm from canada. so they want me to say "oot" and "aboot" and i'm like, "****in, buddy, i'm sorry, but we don't say that **** in canada, bud" but this bartender got a kick out of when i referred to a beer as "that guy" when i said, "i'll get that guy over there," because canada, known for its weed and vast craft beer selection, we don't get dogfish head on the regular up here

buddy and i end up back home and i roll another one, and drink beer. i prefer to chill at home, with a hockey game on, and, depending where i am, i'd like to use the snow outside as a fridge to cool my beer, and i wear a sweater in march

I never knew how much I said "eh" in day to day conversation until I started travelling and was constantly called out on it by people from other countries. Half the time I don't even realize I'm saying it.

I also say "about" wrong somehow, but I've never been able to catch on to why. Apparently I say "abouoot" or some crap like that. I call BS on that though, I think people are just trying to have a laugh at me.

Every once in a while I throw out the straight hoser speak just for the craps and laughs to watch the pure glee of other people believing they're seeing a walking talking stereotype. I'm usually pretty tanked when I do that though.

Went to sit down on my chesterfield and accidentally spilled maple syrup all over my toque. Hope none got on my walls of my igloo, because that would need a good scrubbing and that's not what I'm aboot.

Living in Saskatchewan, the Canadian accent is super thick here, and it really rubs off on me. I end up joining in without even realizing it. I never realized how much I said "eh" and "right". I've always loved playing hockey, my dad even made a rink in our backyard one year. I've got three Canucks jerseys (+ 1 Jets, 2 Canada) and I own a pickup truck which, me and my friends just go straight goosen'er down the grids.

Archived