The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Overwhelmed Planet?

Nuxfanabroad

Hellinna'handbasket, it would appear.

Seems strange to me, that there don't appear to be many CDC'ers dying to discuss the deteriorating environment.

Personally find it a surprising, yet fascinating topic. World's in mighty harsh shape, but apparently the MSM doesn't want most citizens well-informed, or delving too deeply on such issues.

Fortunately, there are quite a few online alternatives to gather info. Sites like ArcticNews, RobertScribbler, Seemorerocks & Naturebatslast...

As of this moment, look at a region like India, where perhaps a 1000+ have already perished in multi-day, high 40's, unrelenting heat.

Then you've got heatwaves(wavy jet stream) climbing up into the Arctic, May temps in the 30's in Alaska(!), higher than most of mainland USA.

In the central states, unprecedented tropical downpours deluging places(previously drought-stricken) like OKC & Texas; whilst thirsty Californians have resorted to stealing/hoarding & drilling wells for water. It's looking like Sao Paolo, Brazil.

There are endless, meandering paths from this central, all-important issue, yet I've become curious if sporting fans(in general) have become allergic to the matter.

In a related way, have sports themselves become a constant form of 'escapism'?

• Upvote 1

Of course it has.

It's a temporary distraction from the day to day issues at home and abroad.

People don't want to hear how we're slowly reaching the point of no return with our planet where the greenhouse effect won't be able to be reversed.

They'd rather leave it to the politicians and governments to do what's best for them long term. I mean, governments wouldn't be stupid enough to sacrifice the plantets' health for short term political and financial gain would they?

• Upvote 3

@MJD, Yes, it's quite an eye-opener how intellectually-evasive many in society have become(of course, for a myriad of reasons).

I've heard an assortment of Profs/intellectuals state how people just really don't want to seem to even consider, or discuss the heaving elephant in the sauna...

^Yeah TOML, & yet it's interesting how the discussion has shifted, somewhat. For the longest time, it was obstructionist/denialist crap, yet now that seems to have evolved to uncertainty & blame(with varying degrees of acceptance, for most).

Do find it's getting more conducive to reasonable discussion, in general...

Imagine if there were a second chance: let's say in the form of a new and rejuvenated earth - earth 2.0

Would we learn from our mistakes or would greed by default cause society to repeat itself?

Edit:

I think that if civilization 2.0 did not make the required changes to sustain the earth, society would be an even harder to place to coexist in than it already is.

Dammit. Doom and gloom.

Edited by riffraff

I have huge respect for someone like Dr Jennifer Francis. One of the pioneers on explaining the increasingly wavy jet stream(& knock-on effects), about a half decade back.

There are some brilliant minds researching, we would have done well to have heeded more seriously.

Imagine if there were a second chance: let's say in the form of a new and rejuvenated earth - earth 2.0

Would we learn from our mistakes or would greed by default cause society to repeat itself?

Correct.

Until we become a society where we no longer quest for wealth, it will always be that way.

Until we are truly a global society, it will always be that way.

Carlin would have a variation of his famous list of 'unutterable' words(particularly should you work for the US EPA)...

Whoa....my youtube post of his famous "save the planet" was deleted....

• Upvote 1

Hellinna'handbasket, it would appear.

Seems strange to me, that there don't appear to be many CDC'ers dying to discuss the deteriorating environment.

Personally find it a surprising, yet fascinating topic. World's in mighty harsh shape, but apparently the MSM doesn't want most citizens well-informed, or delving too deeply on such issues.

Fortunately, there are quite a few online alternatives to gather info. Sites like ArcticNews, RobertScribbler, Seemorerocks & Naturebatslast...

As of this moment, look at a region like India, where perhaps a 1000+ have already perished in multi-day, high 40's, unrelenting heat.

Then you've got heatwaves(wavy jet stream) climbing up into the Arctic, May temps in the 30's in Alaska(!), higher than most of mainland USA.

In the central states, unprecedented tropical downpours deluging places(previously drought-stricken) like OKC & Texas; whilst thirsty Californians have resorted to stealing/hoarding & drilling wells for water. It's looking like Sao Paolo, Brazil.

There are endless, meandering paths from this central, all-important issue, yet I've become curious if sporting fans(in general) have become allergic to the matter.

In a related way, have sports themselves become a constant form of 'escapism'?

Hey hi...

Howzit goin?