The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Overwhelmed Planet?

Nuxfanabroad

We have to start making technology that cleans the planet profitable. Like what this kid is proposing for the oceans.

http://inhabitat.com/19-year-old-student-develops-ocean-cleanup-array-that-could-remove-7250000-tons-of-plastic-from-the-worlds-oceans/

Or making CO2 scrubbers (artificial trees) mandatory on every building, on every car to make them more than carbon neutral.

http://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2013/02/artificial-trees-as-a-carbon-capture-alternative-to-geoengineering/

Solar Freaking Roadways.

https://youtu.be/qlTA3rnpgzU

Technology is our only hope at long term survival. Start putting money into such projects on kickstarter and indiegogo.

Give your dollars to companies that care about the environment. Not sure which ones do?

Go to their websites read their mission statements.

• Upvote 1

goalie 13, Thanks for confessing to the crime we mostly all commit. One wonder's if it's an elitist(Orwellian) plot, to keep us collectively all drugged up on rigged sport, (ensuring we don't notice the garbage truck stopped frequenting our respective neighbourhoods)? Seems downright FIFA-like...

A pioneering soc/psch study found that people were actually HAPPIER when they were bold(assertive?) enough to talk deeply with others..something I'd long suspected. Humans have a need to connect, & it's been proven more beneficial, when in a meaningful, tangible manner. Something that the lasses probably have up on the lads, due to subjective, societal-constraints & expectations.

Got no time for song & dance, smoke blown up you know where. It's the proverbial spiel of the dude asking passerby to spare gas money for his sputtering porsche(parked mysteriously somewheres, nearby). For one who'd curiously like to discuss, analyze & pick apart any issue worth delving into, I'd rearrange the day.

Hellinna'handbasket, it would appear.

Seems strange to me, that there don't appear to be many CDC'ers dying to discuss the deteriorating environment.

Personally find it a surprising, yet fascinating topic. World's in mighty harsh shape, but apparently the MSM doesn't want most citizens well-informed, or delving too deeply on such issues.

Fortunately, there are quite a few online alternatives to gather info. Sites like ArcticNews, RobertScribbler, Seemorerocks & Naturebatslast...

As of this moment, look at a region like India, where perhaps a 1000+ have already perished in multi-day, high 40's, unrelenting heat.

Then you've got heatwaves(wavy jet stream) climbing up into the Arctic, May temps in the 30's in Alaska(!), higher than most of mainland USA.

In the central states, unprecedented tropical downpours deluging places(previously drought-stricken) like OKC & Texas; whilst thirsty Californians have resorted to stealing/hoarding & drilling wells for water. It's looking like Sao Paolo, Brazil.

There are endless, meandering paths from this central, all-important issue, yet I've become curious if sporting fans(in general) have become allergic to the matter.

In a related way, have sports themselves become a constant form of 'escapism'?

really?

aplusk.jpg

lagoa.jpg

lkaboss.jpg

eapzor.jpg

AviaoAlagado.jpg

Enchente-em-S%C3%A3o-Paulo-x-Enchente-no

ENCHENTES.jpg

certo_1.jpg

zeca-1.jpg

floods in São Paulo. an example to the world!

if it´s not like São Paulo´s floodings it´s not flooding! :bigblush:

As systems reach breaking points, extreme swings are not at all uncommon.

Additionally, the Australian & Japanese Meteorological Agencies have declared we're officially into an El Nino. Potentially larger than the 1997-98 infamous monster.

We'll see temp/precip patterns shift wildly, in all likelihood.

So far in the Northwest Pac, we've already had 4 typhoons reach Cat 5(unprecedented, so early in season). A warmer ocean puts shifts into overdrive.

As a liscensed pilot, I trust you are accepting of basic science & physics?

edit-grams

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

As systems reach breaking points, extreme swings are not at all uncommon.

Additionally, the Australian & Japanese Meteorological Agencies have officially declared we're officially into an El Nino. Potentially larger than the 1997-98 infamous monster.

We'll see temp/precip patterns shift wildly, in all likelihood.

So far in the Northwest Pac, we've already had 4 typhoons reach Cat 5(unprecedented, so early in season). A warmer ocean puts shifts into overdrive.

As a liscensed pilot, I trust you are accepting of basic science & physics?

Amazing a pilot can see the effects yet politicians keep denying there's a problem.

What has the environment ever done for me!?

Sustain our species.

The earth and other life forms will live on, so we don't really have to care. Unless you want humans in the future. Once humans are extinct, another life form will take out place. Life will go on.

I caught the tail end of a documentary last night about food waste. It's fascinating yet disheartening how much unexpired and edible food is tossed in the trash when there are people that go hungry and die from lack of food. On top of that, it has far reaching effects on the environment too. All that usable food decomposes in landfills and creates excessive amounts of methane gas which puts a strain on the Earth's atmosphere. Not to mention that landfills are a disgusting by-product of civilization.

France is doing that law now where stores have to give that food to charity before it expires. Something like that. Certainly better than turfing it.

@Jaimito, ^Hmm..you've got 400+ Nuclear plants that'll require TLC, in transitioning to shutdown..luck with that.

The Great Permian Extinction, 250,000,000 yrs back, was where 90-95% of the world's ecology disappeared. Scientists say we are closest in variables(namely CO2 ppm & subsequent ocean oxidation, & acidification) to this period, of the 5 noted extinctions. We're emmitting 30 gigatonnes of carbon annually; to impressively ramp up our omnicidal-bent.

"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the Earth."

Next species gets a lump of coal in their stocking...

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

goalie 13, Thanks for confessing to the crime we mostly all commit. One wonder's if it's an elitist(Orwellian) plot, to keep us collectively all drugged up on rigged sport, (ensuring we don't notice the garbage truck stopped frequenting our respective neighbourhoods)? Seems downright FIFA-like...

A pioneering soc/psch study found that people were actually HAPPIER when they were bold(assertive?) enough to talk deeply with others..something I'd long suspected. Humans have a need to connect, & it's been proven more beneficial, when in a meaningful, tangible manner. Something that the lasses probably have up on the lads, due to subjective, societal-constraints & expectations.

Got no time for song & dance, smoke blown up you know where. It's the proverbial spiel of the dude asking passerby to spare gas money for his sputtering porsche(parked mysteriously somewheres, nearby). For one who'd curiously like to discuss, analyze & pick apart any issue worth delving into, I'd rearrange the day.

Who says it's a crime? To me, there are times & places for deep discussions. That's just not what I come to CDC for.

S'pose I did, & agreed it's a rather silly choice of words. Figure of speech, as if to say we're all 'tarred by some brush'.

Also point taken regarding conversation..matters of one's own preference, indeed. Personally enjoy this subject, & find the underlying science quite interesting. Cheers.

It takes time, effort and selfless acts to do what is best for the environment.

Society is short on time, effort and selfless action.

The environment is in tough indeed.

The environment will be fine...Earth has been here for 4 billion+ years. It's humans that are &^@#ed. The earth will go on, but we are ensuring that we don't.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting to see the Pope offer up a 184 pp Encyclical; & now the Republicans are spinning in a radicalized-tizzy.

Also interested to hear(today) that this Pope has a background in research on science.

Sure hope he shows up at the (late-yr) climate mtgs in France. Chat with some US politicos. Predicting right-wing deniers will start crawling back under the wood-work.

"Unprecedented" this, "record" that. Enviro scare tactics are nothing new to humanity. Pretty much everything that happens now is a disaster and requires environmentalist policies to save the planet / save humanity. I guess logic will go away the more environmentalists push the issue. Meanwhile, they have little comprehension that such tactics are actually making more people apathetic/antipathetic toward their cause. People eventually get tired of bullsh**.

Edited by Mr. Ambien

Yet science, or let's say 'Mother Nature' doesn't give a shyte what you or I expound, or feel. Completely irrelevant.

You may feel blue if there's lots of rain, for example..yet the colour you feel, won't determine whether it actually rains in the first place.

Just as you must seperate the weather from the climate; one must distinguish between their opinions & stated(scientifically-reviewed & consensually-agreed upon) fact.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

This may not mean anything but it's been sunny all BC and it's been unnaturally the case.

In May, we were expected to get about 50 mm of rain. This year, we only had 5.6, according to CTV news weather.

Meanwhile, parts of the world are getting extreme flooding and so-forth.