The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks shopping Eddie Lack for second round pick

If Benning is retooling, which he is, these are the kinds of moves he needs to make.

Miller holds down the fort, you get value for Lack and Markstrom gets a chance to prove his worth at the NHL level as well. We aren't deep in a lot of areas, but with Demko as well Goaltender seems to be one of them. In a deep draft a high 2nd could be huge. Love Lack but this needs to happen.

We aren't getting that 2nd back for Higgins.

Benning has talked about the importance of keeping Markstrom for about 6 months. With the regularity that you follow the Canucks, I feel like you know this, and are just trying to justify your creation of this thread.

LEBRUN: CANUCKS WOULD PREFER TO KEEP MARKSTROM OVER LACK

Markstrom was given plenty of chances with Florida and failed. The fact that he has excelled at the AHL level should mean nothing. Plenty of all-star goalies at AHL level had very little success in the NHL.

Risky move Benning! Markstrom has looked mentally weak in all his starts for the Canucks the past 2 seasons. Miller was awesome then terrible then awesome then terrible, repeat.......

Markstrom was given plenty of chances with Florida and failed. The fact that he has excelled at the AHL level should mean nothing. Plenty of all-star goalies at AHL level had very little success in the NHL.

Risky move Benning! Markstrom has looked mentally weak in all his starts for the Canucks the past 2 seasons. Miller was awesome then terrible then awesome then terrible, repeat.......

At the same time, lots of good NHL goailes spent alot of time developing in the minors, including Ben Bishop, who I think is a good Markstrom comparison.

Bottom line is that Lack's value will likely never be higher than it is right now, whereas Markstrom's value is likely quite low right now. It's just good asset management to get the most value, especially with a rebuilding team.

At the same time, lots of good NHL goailes spent alot of time developing in the minors, including Ben Bishop, who I think is a good Markstrom comparison.

Bottom line is that Lack's value will likely never be higher than it is right now, whereas Markstrom's value is likely quite low right now. It's just good asset management to get the most value, especially with a rebuilding team.

I disagree. I think that Lack is undervalued right now. Given a chance as our starting goalie for a whole season would greatly boost his value. I don't know what we have with Markstrom quite honestly?

I think it's obvious that I'm a huge Lack fan. I think at 27 he is in his prime. I would give him a season to prove he is a legit starter. If he fails I'll eat crow. That's just how I feel.

Have you looked at those Florida teams? In 2012-13 their top scorer was Thomas Fleischmann. In 13-14, their top scorer was Nik Bujstad, who is a good player, but scored a total of 38 points in a full season. That roster contained mostly AHLers.

Markstrom needs an actual chance before we decide what his future is projected to be.

The idea that a goalie needs to follow a certain path to becoming a solid #1, or at least a solid option, is slowly deteriorating. Hammond in OTT, Hutchinson in WPG, Mrazek in DET, Bishop in TB.

We need a future 1C or 1D

Lack + Hamhuis + 23rd should get us something like Draisaitle and the 16th OA (pitt's pick )

Draisaitl is a future 1C

I rather we do fine thing like this than just trade lack for a mid second which my not even make the nhl

I have my reservations that the package you put forward would get Edmonton to give up the 16th, let alone throw in Draisaitle. I'm thinking one year of Hamhuis (assuming he actually waived to go to Edmonton) isn't enough. If it was two years on his deal, then maybe.

regards,

G.

? He was rushed in Florida on a crappy team. No surprise he couldn't succeed there.

Have you looked at those Florida teams? In 2012-13 their top scorer was Thomas Fleischmann. In 13-14, their top scorer was Nik Bujstad, who is a good player, but scored a total of 38 points in a full season. That roster contained mostly AHLers.

Markstrom needs an actual chance before we decide what his future is projected to be.

The idea that a goalie needs to follow a certain path to becoming a solid #1, or at least a solid option, is slowly deteriorating. Hammond in OTT, Hutchinson in WPG, Mrazek in DET, Bishop in TB.

Anyone that didn't see Mrazek coming simply doesn't understand the goaltending position. The rest, okay... definite sleepers.

Markstrom is just too tantalizing to give up on at this point. I like Lack, and he is a number 1, just not a Canadian team where fans have lofty expectations. I don't want to see Miller in net next year, but it's not the end of the world.

Man I miss Cory Schneider.

He's the only reason this team made the playoffs and Benning is shopping him ...... for a 2nd round pick...... the most Benning thing ever.

Just really doesn't make sense IMO. The most logical thing to do is package him in a trade for a pick in the top 12-15 or something that we need. I'd happily trade Miller for a 2nd round pick.

Anyone that didn't see Mrazek coming simply doesn't understand the goaltending position. The rest, okay... definite sleepers.

Markstrom is just too tantalizing to give up on at this point. I like Lack, and he is a number 1, just not a Canadian team where fans have lofty expectations. I don't want to see Miller in net next year, but it's not the end of the world.

Man I miss Cory Schneider.

Mrazek was a fifth rounder and spent three mediocre years in the OHL. Definitely started lighting it up professionally, but my is simply that there isn't a 'typical' path to being a quality goalie.

If you deal Lack, then also deal one of Hamhuis/Edler. Then we should have an extra 1st, AND a 2nd recouped.

Then it's a 10-mill bet. Sbisa becomes a top-4. You sink or swim with Sbisa/Miller at 10 mill. Should it blow up in our faces, get top picks next draft. Start selling many vets at next TDL.

To me, this is JB's gamble..hope he doesn't pawn off all of MG's drafted/acquired assets(eg:Lack, Cassels, etc...), to cover over these mistakes(if they play poorly in 15/16)

Florida rushed Markstrom before he was ready, and housed AHL teams at best. You can't really blame him. They really screwed up his development. The Canucks are getting him back on track, and Markstrom has a lot more potential than Eddie does.

Archived