The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fallout 4

Armada

So I discovered what the real difficulty in survival mode is. 

Your own and remembering to eat and sleep in the real world while playing the difficulty. Crazy different perspective. I'm level 26, only have the map unlocked from sanctuary to Lexington and only Sanctuary, Red Rocket, Starlight, Abernathy and Tenpines opened as settlements. (next on the list is sunshine Co-op) Been great to discover so many neat little things I never saw before when I was running in straight lines to missions and fast traveling

The plan is to not enter certain zones until achieving certain levels to ensure I lock enemies at the highest level per zone they can be in order to maximize xp gains (I could run a mod for that but I am an achievement whore) (also no using exploits as it would make survival pointless to cheat it)

Rocking a Stealth crit build with Local leader and Lone wanderer (with Dogmeat) that has had some hairy moments but been effective over all. Using well rested/Squirrel Stew and idiot savant has me leveling fast while building (I did try a power armor tank build first that was effective as hell but I really want a character that snipes and uses the deliverer or a magnum in close)

Getting quite good at making settlements, nice work areas, brahmin pens, and three to four storey buildings complete with accessible sleeping quarters, drinking fountains, lighted recreation areas complete with a working bar and comfy seating (love it when my settlers finish work and gather to them and lift weights or screw around on pommel horses.) 

Most butt clenching moment so far was clearing Lexington and running back and forth to Starlight dropping loot off and resting. In the Superduper Mart that is infested with ghouls I got my stupid self cornered while the zombies were alerted, I was reloading and out of Vats when I thought I killed them all. A stronger feral had flanked me and I'm pretty sure he had me dead and beat.

Dogmeat came out of nowhere and grabbed the ghoul by the ankle before he could land a hit and saved my butt. Whew, considering I play permadeath rules.  

Forgot to mention I place a vaultboy statue at the highest point of every settlement to remind people of whom their benevolent overlord is considering they exist in these settlements to produce materials that I can use for crafting (or just the xp from producing) or making money. (Think I have 1000 adhesive in storage by now and probably spent 25k in caps) 

Every settlement has a level 4 surgery clinic that I even equip the doctor with a lab coat and working on clothing as the populations boom. 

I try to do something unique for every place, like Sanctuary has the concord power armor on display next to a mounted deathclaw head in tribute to how this all started. That sort of thing. 

1 hour ago, TimberWolf said:

So I discovered what the real difficulty in survival mode is. 

Your own and remembering to eat and sleep in the real world while playing the difficulty. Crazy different perspective. I'm level 26, only have the map unlocked from sanctuary to Lexington and only Sanctuary, Red Rocket, Starlight, Abernathy and Tenpines opened as settlements. (next on the list is sunshine Co-op) Been great to discover so many neat little things I never saw before when I was running in straight lines to missions and fast traveling

The plan is to not enter certain zones until achieving certain levels to ensure I lock enemies at the highest level per zone they can be in order to maximize xp gains (I could run a mod for that but I am an achievement whore) (also no using exploits as it would make survival pointless to cheat it)

Rocking a Stealth crit build with Local leader and Lone wanderer (with Dogmeat) that has had some hairy moments but been effective over all. Using well rested/Squirrel Stew and idiot savant has me leveling fast while building (I did try a power armor tank build first that was effective as hell but I really want a character that snipes and uses the deliverer or a magnum in close)

Getting quite good at making settlements, nice work areas, brahmin pens, and three to four storey buildings complete with accessible sleeping quarters, drinking fountains, lighted recreation areas complete with a working bar and comfy seating (love it when my settlers finish work and gather to them and lift weights or screw around on pommel horses.) 

Most butt clenching moment so far was clearing Lexington and running back and forth to Starlight dropping loot off and resting. In the Superduper Mart that is infested with ghouls I got my stupid self cornered while the zombies were alerted, I was reloading and out of Vats when I thought I killed them all. A stronger feral had flanked me and I'm pretty sure he had me dead and beat.

Dogmeat came out of nowhere and grabbed the ghoul by the ankle before he could land a hit and saved my butt. Whew, considering I play permadeath rules.  

ON my first playthrough I went into super duper Mart and pulled a legendary 10mm pistol of a feral ghoul reaver the perks were

Unlimited ammo 

No reloading

Bottomless clip

36 minutes ago, Violator said:

ON my first playthrough I went into super duper Mart and pulled a legendary 10mm pistol of a feral ghoul reaver the perks were

Unlimited ammo 

No reloading

Bottomless clip

He dropped a hunting rifle that does extra damage to supermutants on this run (meh). Survival modes gets for legendary enemies but most drops have sucked (except a shoulder guard that injects a stim at low health) also bought the mantis greave as I am stacking perception and agility

Hoping to get and instigating or two shot but barring that I'll buy the overseers rifle when I open that vault and use that for sniping. 

6 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Is this game worth buying again on PC? I thought it was pretty bad on PS4 as are most Bethesda games are when it comes to PlayStation.

Had no problems on my XBONE and it's been fun there so I imagine it's amazing on a souped up PC.

5 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Had no problems on my XBONE and it's been fun there so I imagine it's amazing on a souped up PC.

I got Skyrim SE on Xbox and it runs really well, Bethesda hasn't had a bad history with Xbox consoles. I figured since it was the same thing as a PS4 basically it would be similar but I was wrong. It was a framerate mess especially in the DLC areas and froze with mods. I just wanted to save taxes from buying on PSN but it's the worst version of Fallout 4 and ultimately killed my experience.

I think you're right, I wanna see Fallout on my stupidly powerful rig lol. I'll wait until the inevitable steam sale. 

31 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

He dropped a hunting rifle that does extra damage to supermutants on this run (meh). Survival modes gets for legendary enemies but most drops have sucked (except a shoulder guard that injects a stim at low health) also bought the mantis greave as I am stacking perception and agility

Hoping to get and instigating or two shot but barring that I'll buy the overseers rifle when I open that vault and use that for sniping. 

I find it's so hit and miss it gets annoying played on very hard for a while and was getting the worst stuff all mele.Dropped it down to hard and got a whole bunch of fun stuff chameleon chest piece two shot radium rifle.It also depends on what level you are when you do everything the higher the level the better stuff.

Just make a quick save before entering a building and keep re-loading it until you get the item you want. Once you do, reload the autosave until you get the exact roll you want.

This is how I ended up with so many OP weapons. Wounding Gattling Laser, Explosive Shotgun, 2 Shot Gauss, Instigating .50cal Silenced Sniper ect. 

29 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Just make a quick save before entering a building and keep re-loading it until you get the item you want. Once you do, reload the autosave until you get the exact roll you want.

This is how I ended up with so many OP weapons. Wounding Gattling Laser, Explosive Shotgun, 2 Shot Gauss, Instigating .50cal Silenced Sniper ect. 

That wasn't working for me I think they fixed that exploit

17 hours ago, Xbox said:

Damn, that was such a good exploit too

It was i tried it on the abandoned house beside bunker hill.

Saved before i went inside killed all of the ghouls then killed the one in the room in the top of the stairs got nothing special reloaded and went again.

37 minutes ago, Violator said:

It was i tried it on the abandoned house beside bunker hill.

Saved before i went inside killed all of the ghouls then killed the one in the room in the top of the stairs got nothing special reloaded and went again.

What? That doesn't mean they fixed the exploit. Have some patience dude.

Check out the mega thread on Reddit to see how to farm properly.

17 minutes ago, Xbox said:

What? That doesn't mean they fixed the exploit. Have some patience dude.

Check out the mega thread on Reddit to see how to farm properly.

Must be a glitch then Everytime I read and do it again it's a legendary enemy but with only a normal gun.did krup Manor last night again and the ghoul didn't have anything Everytime I reload.

1 hour ago, Violator said:

Must be a glitch then Everytime I read and do it again it's a legendary enemy but with only a normal gun.did krup Manor last night again and the ghoul didn't have anything Everytime I reload.

Maybe that place isn't eligible or it's only a 1 time thing? A lot of places are. I farmed and got my guns in the VIM factory from Far Harbour and the 1st building you enter in the Machine DLC. So either of those places I highly recommend. Even the places Preston Garvey constantly gives you to raid are good places to farm if it's indoors.

If you load the games quick save once or twice before entering the building, don't assume it'll be broken if it doesn't work especially since you can't toggle Survival mode on/off anymore. It could take like 5-6 tries for an enemy to appear, and that's on Very Hard. Once you find a legendary enemy, reload the last autosave you have (Should be when you enter the building) and if you did it right the same enemy should appear legendary with the same item, just a different perk. It took me 32 autosave loads before the shotgun I was farming finally dropped Explosive (VIM Factory).

i've now started to really understand settlements and im using sunshine co as like my main hub. i'm using that large barn for all of my stores and the farm land for foods and the littler building for my crafting stations, then all the cabins have power and beds and i've build smaller sheds with beds and lights, it's looking at an actual little town

i have like a wall all around the place, like alexandria in walking dead xD with turrets around the wall. it's well fortified. my next big settlement project is finch farm. one annoying thing ive had happen was doing the defending missions and like 4 supermutants all had mini guns :x

ive started having fun with mods, like a foggy world, it's almost like silent hill in FO4. i like how it adds another difficulty in the game, making it harder to aim

Decided on a tank instead of the stealth build. 

On survival mode: Chemist, Buffats, overdrive and ultra jet = Good times.  Made it to level 29 before putting any points into weapon skills (commando/heavy/demo) using this combo. (Blood cleanser in the power armor torso helps a great deal) More drugs than a weekend with Keith Richards. 

Right now using auto Righteous Authority and an auto 10mm for back up and easy targets, planning to move on to Spray And Pray till I can luck up an explosive minigun and Party starter (automaton companion will carry the extra missiles, hah)

Also using Lone Wanderer with Dogmeat all armored up, (though wish he could have power armor too)

This allowed me to put more perks into settlement leveling, lockpicking, science, gun nut, armor, scrounger and idiot savant (surprisingly good with a 9 int on survival) giving me the ability to level fast before I zone into new areas. 

Archived