The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Chiarelli willing to trade their non-McDavid picks for preferably younger players

I didn't yet see this posted, but if it is already a topic, please delete.

Anyways, not anything we didn't already know, but this is from the GM himself, so I thought I could post it. Please note that this is not the McDavid pick, but all the rest could potentially be had for roster help.

Source: www.tsn.ca

Peter Chiarelli is ready to declare the Edmonton Oilers open for business ahead NHL Draft, in which the Oilers own six of the first 90 picks.

The Oilers own the first overall in the draft and are fully expected to draft Erie Otters star Connor McDavid - that pick is not being shopped. However, when it comes to picks No. 16, 33 and 57 overall, Chiarelli says the Oilers are willing to make moves.

"I certainly would look at moving any of those picks for something that would help us right now," Chiarelli told 630 CHED radio in Edmonton on Tuesday, "but also that could grow with our organization, so relatively speaking a younger player."

"It's good to have a lot of picks and develop players, but we also want to hit the ground running with some more game-ready players. Discussions are picking up, they'll continue to be ongoing until the draft, they might subside a little bit, and then pick up again around the free agency date."

Chiarelli was hired by the Oilers in April as president of hockey operations and general manager.

The 2015 NHL Draft will open on June 26 with the Oilers on the clock.

Edmonton can really grow here. They can seriously compete over the next 7+ years....

Sign Franson and Ribeiro

Trade their 33rd and 79th for Eddie Lack

Trade 16th Overall for Dennis Wideman and 53rd

Hall RNH Eberle

Ribeirio McDavid Yakupov

Pouliot Draisaitl Purcell

Fraser Roy Pitlick

Ference Franson (Lol -48)

Wideman Nurse

Schultz Klefbom

Lack

I won't even bother writing a proposal.

But there IS in fact a partner here in Edmonton

And it centers around young D players (Stanton, Corrado, Sbisa, Clendenning) Goalies (Lack, Markstrom) and forwards (Kassian, Vey, Dorsett, Grenier)

And the possibility of picking up multiple picks from the oilers in the first 3 rounds makes trading between two former associates in Benning/Chiarelli very intriguing

When you got McDaybid you don't need nuttin' else.

Good to see Chiarelli is getting them on the right track. We do definitely have some assets we could send them for picks, both young and veteran. One caveat for them though is that their prospect pool is very thin beyond what's already in their lineup, so I'm not sure how many of those picks they should be willing to give up.

Pick out some anchors (er, assets) and send them over, JB!

This is a new oilers team with an actual nhl gm and coach, not some former players and ahl coaches

Chiarelli could really put this team into playoff contention with 2-3 smart moves. They don't need anymore prospects, they need nhl players now. 9 years has been long enough

Edmonton can really grow here. They can seriously compete over the next 7+ years....

Sign Franson and Ribeiro

Trade their 33rd and 79th for Eddie Lack

Trade 16th Overall for Dennis Wideman and 53rd

Hall RNH Eberle

Ribeirio McDavid Yakupov

Pouliot Draisaitl Purcell

Fraser Roy Potluck

Ference Franson (Lol -48)

Wideman Nurse

Schultz Klefbom

Lack

No way Calgary moves Wideman after the year he had, especially to Edmonton. The rest is possible though.

Ribeiro is cancer. No way they want him around their young players

I had Ribeiro in my hockey pool. He put of decent #'s but for a 1st line Center... His Faceoff % was TRASH. When he went up against centers like toews bergeron kopitar is was just a free faceoff win for the other team. Oh yeah and Ribeiro is a loser so yea id pass on him.

I won't even bother writing a proposal.

But there IS in fact a partner here in Edmonton

And it centers around young D players (Stanton, Corrado, Sbisa, Clendenning) Goalies (Lack, Markstrom) and forwards (Kassian, Vey, Dorsett, Grenier)

And the possibility of picking up multiple picks from the oilers in the first 3 rounds makes trading between two former associates in Benning/Chiarelli very intriguing

Yeah, there are a LOT of fits there, plus the existing relationship.

I would not be surprised to see a multi-player/pick deal go down.

Yeah, there are a LOT of fits there, plus the existing relationship.

I would not be surprised to see a multi-player/pick deal go down.

There's far to many fits for a deal to NOT go down with the history between Benning and Chiarelli.

But....sadly the things in this league that make the most sense never happen

Hmm

Maybe Lack + Corrado / Stanton / Clendening for 33 & the other 2nd

Not sure what it would take to land the 16th + 33th maybe Lack & Hamhuis?

I guess we could draft the next Hamhuis at 16 and give him big minutes in 2020?

Archived