The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hiking the Diez Vistas trail at Buntzen Lake

sakage.shinga

Hi guys, looking for some feedback from people who have hiked the Diez Vistas trail at Buntzen Lake. I'm doing this hike with a few friends this weekend for the first time and I'm not an experienced hiker at all. I'm moderately fit, kayak a lot and lift, but the only "real" hiking I've done thus far is Dog Mountain, which I found to be moderate in terms of physical exertion.

I'm wondering if I should leave my SLR camera at home and just take my GoPro instead. Also how steep and dangerous is the trail? Any other tips are more than welcome.

It is an amazing hike. It is anywhere from 5-7 hours depending on your pace.

It is not easy, but it is nothing to be scared of.

Someone in average shape will be sore and tired as hell, but you'll make it and be happy you did.

The views you get are insane. I'd bring a camera.

Really great hike took my group about 6 1/2 hours when half of the trail was flooded so we had to take detours, you don't have to be an experienced hiker by any means. It gets pretty steep at some points, nothing too bad to make you scramble but honestly if you're in moderate shape you should be fine.

Also do bring your camera, there's great views into the salmon arm, overlooking deep cove and vancouver way in the back

Just a question. Is it a few hours, day hike overnight?

How many hikes of any significant nature have you done?

It's just a day hike. Like I said the only "hiking" I've done is at Dog Mountain. I've done plenty of park trails but I don't count those as hiking.

Although long, its a fairly intermediate hike. Don't hesitate to bring your SLR if you want to get some good shots; you won't be grabbing on to anything to climb up and the trail is moderately steep at about a 8% grade average. There are some good view points of both the Lake and the lower mainland.

In comparison, to Dog Mountain, it definitely is more challenging, longer and isn't as maintained in a few spots, so you will find roots and rocks on the trail but that's the norm for hiking, pretty comparable to Dog Mountain but steeper.. I'd say the danger level is pretty low on Diez. You'll be perfectly fine!

If anything be sure to pack a lot of water and a few snacks as it'll be extremely warm his weekend. I myself have a 2L water reservoir in my backpack from MEC and usually bring 2 Cliff bars.

I normally bring my SLR on most hikes and my GoPro on a chesty to record anything if I'm solo hiking. It depends truly on how you want to hit the trail. Normally when I go running on a trail like Elk Mountain I won't bring my SLR and just my GoPro. However, If i'm going to a rewarding spot like Joffre Lakes, I'll bring my SLR.

i'd say Diez Viestas is a fairly average hike; however, I've been pretty spoiled as I go hiking every sunday. I like to use Vancouver Trails for local hikes or Trailpeak/ClubTread http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/sendero-diez-vistas/

Just last week I did a 48km hike starting from Lynn Headwater, up to Hanes Valley, to Crown Mountain down to the Grind and then back over to Lynn Valley on the Baden Powell. Got this sweet shot.

1545577_10153300278885359_74520079160760

I'll be hitting Golden Ears this weekend. http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/golden-ears/

Although long, its a fairly intermediate hike. Don't hesitate to bring your SLR if you want to get some good shots; you won't be grabbing on to anything to climb up and the trail is moderately steep at about a 8% grade average. There are some good view points of both the Lake and the lower mainland.

In comparison, to Dog Mountain, it definitely is more challenging, longer and isn't as maintained in a few spots, so you will find roots and rocks on the trail but that's the norm for hiking, pretty comparable to Dog Mountain but steeper.. I'd say the danger level is pretty low on Diez. You'll be perfectly fine!

If anything be sure to pack a lot of water and a few snacks as it'll be extremely warm his weekend. I myself have a 2L water reservoir in my backpack from MEC and usually bring 2 Cliff bars.

I normally bring my SLR on most hikes and my GoPro on a chesty to record anything if I'm solo hiking. It depends truly on how you want to hit the trail. Normally when I go running on a trail like Elk Mountain I won't bring my SLR and just my GoPro. However, If i'm going to a rewarding spot like Joffre Lakes, I'll bring my SLR.

i'd say Diez Viestas is a fairly average hike; however, I've been pretty spoiled as I go hiking every sunday. I like to use Vancouver Trails for local hikes or Trailpeak/ClubTread http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/sendero-diez-vistas/

Just last week I did a 48km hike starting from Lynn Headwater, up to Hanes Valley, to Crown Mountain down to the Grind and then back over to Lynn Valley on the Baden Powell. Got this sweet shot.

1545577_10153300278885359_74520079160760

I'll be hitting Golden Ears this weekend. http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/golden-ears/

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. I was just gonna pack my 0.7L water bottle, but guess I'll pick up a camel or something.

Archived