The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I'm excited for the future.

kill_the_avs2

so much doom and gloom around a team that's missed the playoffs 1 once in six years. Yes are core is aging but the guys coming up are exciting.

I'm a die hard since my dad took me to my first game in 96 vs avs round 1 game 6. (Any one reminder the goal scorers frim that game).

The thing with sports is its for our entertainment. As much as we hate seeing the Canucks come up short year after year, I'm still glued to the TV every game to see what happens.

I've lived in Edmonton for the last 13 years and grew up in Courtenay. I've got to watch Van steam roll the oilers live for the last 13 years (with the exception of a few games). And living here and seeing their pain believe me we have had it good!!

K I'm obviously off track my point is every day van plays Is a day I'm sitting at work excited because I know I have something fun to do that night! Not listen to my wife bitch, or the kids whine... I lock the basement door put on on the blue and green and think.... Maybe this is the F...ing year.

I love hockey, I love Canucks.... Yes I am drunk. Goodnight:)

The guys coming up are not franchise-saving players

They aren't Toews/Kane/Crosby/Stamkos/Tavares types that can completely change a franchise

They are going to be good, but this team is going to suck for a long time once the Sedins and co. retire

Lol, tell me more about your crystal ball.

They aren't Toews/Kane/Crosby/Stamkos/Tavares types that can completely change a franchise

They are going to be good, but this team is going to suck for a long time once the Sedins and co. retire

I don't think it's as bleak as you make it out to be. I'm pretty proud of the 2-way, gritty, responsible centers our management has drafted.

Horvat

Gaunce

McCann

Cassels

These are guys that you build around. They win you championships. Combine that with some impressive size on the wings and it's not all that bad. Relax.

Wow..good thing we have you around.....

We don't have a so called "franchise saviour" because our franchise doesn't need saving. What do the guys that you mentioned have in common? For one, all of them but Toews were first overall picks which we have never had in the history of our team. But another similarity between them is that they were drafted into a franchise that literally needed saving. Chicago and Pittsburgh were on the verge of moving cities, Tampa and New York had struggled for years. They needed a franchise saving guy to come in and turn things around.

What about the Canucks? Obviously it'd be great to have one of those guys. I'm sure all the other teams in the NHL would give an arm and a leg to get these players. But they don't grow off trees. We still have the Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Bieksa and other depth players to help us transition into the next period. That's why winning is a key part of Benning's strategy. Without a "franchise saving" player it'll be hard for a team to pull out of an endless cycle of losing. See Edmonton and Florida.

With the Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Bieksa (2011 core players) we can slowly mentor our prospects and let them grow as players so they can take over when ready. A player who isn't deemed a "franchise saviour" at the age of 18 can still carry a team on their backs and lead the team to victory. They just need more time to adjust to the NHL and being in a leadership role. It's cliche, but look at Detroit. Datsyuk and Zetterberg were not supposed to be game-changes, let alone franchise players when they were drafted. But they were raised in the right environment under the tutelage of Yzerman, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Osgood, Hasek, etc. and look at the players they are today. That's exactly what the Canucks are trying to emulate.

Wow..good thing we have you around.....

it's really not that complicated lol, every team goes through it. (except detroit)

They're garbage for a few years (like we were in the mid to late 90's) finally get that top 3 draft pick (we got 2, the Sedins) those guys become the franchise players that you build around and then once they and the core age and retire you go back to being garbage again for a few years and do it all over again.

We don't have a so called "franchise saviour" because our franchise doesn't need saving. What do the guys that you mentioned have in common? For one, all of them but Toews were first overall picks which we have never had in the history of our team. But another similarity between them is that they were drafted into a franchise that literally needed saving. Chicago and Pittsburgh were on the verge of moving cities, Tampa and New York had struggled for years. They needed a franchise saving guy to come in and turn things around.

What about the Canucks? Obviously it'd be great to have one of those guys. I'm sure all the other teams in the NHL would give an arm and a leg to get these players. But they don't grow off trees. We still have the Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Bieksa and other depth players to help us transition into the next period. That's why winning is a key part of Benning's strategy. Without a "franchise saving" player it'll be hard for a team to pull out of an endless cycle of losing. See Edmonton and Florida.

With the Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Bieksa (2011 core players) we can slowly mentor our prospects and let them grow as players so they can take over when ready. A player who isn't deemed a "franchise saviour" at the age of 18 can still carry a team on their backs and lead the team to victory. They just need more time to adjust to the NHL and being in a leadership role. It's cliche, but look at Detroit. Datsyuk and Zetterberg were not supposed to be game-changes, let alone franchise players when they were drafted. But they were raised in the right environment under the tutelage of Yzerman, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Osgood, Hasek, etc. and look at the players they are today. That's exactly what the Canucks are trying to emulate.

The Canucks never have been and never will be as good at developing players as the Red Wings are.

They are the best in the league at it, which is why they've made the playoffs for 24 straight seasons

so much doom and gloom around a team that's missed the playoffs 1 once in six years. Yes are core is aging but the guys coming up are exciting.

I'm a die hard since my dad took me to my first game in 96 vs avs round 1 game 6. (Any one reminder the goal scorers frim that game).

The thing with sports is its for our entertainment. As much as we hate seeing the Canucks come up short year after year, I'm still glued to the TV every game to see what happens.

I've lived in Edmonton for the last 13 years and grew up in Courtenay. I've got to watch Van steam roll the oilers live for the last 13 years (with the exception of a few games). And living here and seeing their pain believe me we have had it good!!

K I'm obviously off track my point is every day van plays Is a day I'm sitting at work excited because I know I have something fun to do that night! Not listen to my wife bitch, or the kids whine... I lock the basement door put on on the blue and green and think.... Maybe this is the F...ing year.

I love hockey, I love Canucks.... Yes I am drunk. Goodnight:)

Thanks - saves on speculation

The Canucks never have been and never will be as good at developing players as the Red Wings are.

They are the best in the league at it, which is why they've made the playoffs for 24 straight seasons

While Detroit is the 'golden standard' when it comes to development, there are also many other teams that can develop young players well. Just because our development sucked in the past doesn't mean it can't get better in the future. (Also, part of our lack of good young players is also related to our poor drafting from 2005-2011.)

If you have been following the Utica Comets (our AHL team) you would know that they are in the final round of the Calder Cup Playoffs. The team they just beat? Detroit's affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins. Travis Green has done some amazing work with our prospects in the AHL and the fact that we made the finals with many of our prospects playing key roles on the team is a sign of improved development.

Since you brought up Stamkos earlier, I'll make a comparison with Tampa Bay. Tampa got a great player in Stamkos in 2008 and another great player in Hedman in 2009. They are both a huge part of Tampa's success in this year's playoffs. However, their best line all season has been the triplets line of Kucherov, Palat and Johnson. Other key players for them include Alex Killorn, Cedric Paquette, Vladislav Namestnikov, JT Brown and Andrej Sustr. All these guys (with the exception of Kucherov) played together 2 years ago in the AHL and made a deep run in the Calder Cup Playoffs. They eventually lost to Griffins but two years later many guys on that team made the jump to the NHL and look at how well they are doing. I see something similar happening for the Canucks.

Since you brought up Stamkos earlier, I'll make a comparison with Tampa Bay. Tampa got a great player in Stamkos in 2008 and another great player in Hedman in 2009. They are both a huge part of Tampa's success in this year's playoffs. However, their best line all season has been the triplets line of Kucherov, Palat and Johnson. Other key players for them include Alex Killorn, Cedric Paquette, Vladislav Namestnikov, JT Brown and Andrej Sustr. All these guys (with the exception of Kucherov) played together 2 years ago in the AHL and made a deep run in the Calder Cup Playoffs. They eventually lost to Griffins but two years later many guys on that team made the jump to the NHL and look at how well they are doing. I see something similar happening for the Canucks.

Inspiring, apt, and current example considering the Comets success this year :)

You're right the guys coming up aren't franchise savers or on the same levels as some of those other players. Many on CDC are under the illusion that Virtanen is going to be a consistent 40 goal scorer - it's possible but far from likely.

The team won't suck though. More needs to be done (and I trust JB to do it) but we won't be as horrible as you think.

U spoke too soon. Have you watched Utica?

How, on Earth, do you know?

And teams shouldn't need "franchise saving" anything...you're looking for a Superman in a team game. That's a bad focus because it puts all the eggs in one or two baskets. The Oilers had some that were touted as "those" types of players...where did it get them? So it proves that there isn't a magic hero solution...that coaching, work ethic, mentoring, etc. all come into play.

Tell me this...who better to mentor young players than the Sedins? Not many.

What are you even doing here with an attitude like that? Honestly.

And yes, Utica? How about Cole Cassels?....heard his name lately? These are solid prospects and no one, including you, has any idea how they'll fare in the NHL.

and

Tampa needs to play like that every game to even have a chance, and that is simply not happening.

They aren't winning this series

This is where you lose any chance of credibility. Because no one knows what the future holds, including you oh mighty one.

So, in one breath, you've said Stamkos is franchise saving. In the next, his team won't be winning. See how that works? One golden player does not guarantee success. Thanks for making my point.

as someone else said, the franchise does not need saving, persay. What is coming up is a pretty solid stable of young talent who are finally being developed in the proper manner, and it will be a good two way lineup, form top to bottom in 5 years time I think. I know the thinking is that if you have 5-6 prospects, 2 maybe 3 make it to the show, but I feel like the majority of the young Canucks are going to end up with solid careers in the NHL.

Until they seriously up grade their defense they will not go too far

once some of the bloated contracts are off the books, JB will have some money to bolster the d corps. In my mind defense is better bought than developed anyway.

It also helps that the some of the guys they have picked then played at a very high level for around 20 years. Not many (any?) other teams can say they have had that kind of success.

regards,

G.

Archived