The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wind or Mobilicity

Lui's Knob

I've been using Wind now for three or so years and I haven't really had any trouble with them? The signal isn't as good as the big telecoms which means that in places like Skytrain tunnels and Rogers Arena you'll find that your signal cuts out. The coverage area itself is pretty good and I've had no problem getting myself online across Greater Van, and even out in Abbotsford. Most of their plans are unlimited talk, text and data. The data will throttle if you exceed a cap (which eludes me because I've done it maybe once?) but even when the throttle is on, you're still getting data at a pretty decent clip.

Would recommend.

I know people with wind and each of them wouldn't reccomend it

I recommend it.

I've been using Wind now for three or so years and I haven't really had any trouble with them? The signal isn't as good as the big telecoms which means that in places like Skytrain tunnels and Rogers Arena you'll find that your signal cuts out. The coverage area itself is pretty good and I've had no problem getting myself online across Greater Van, and even out in Abbotsford. Most of their plans are unlimited talk, text and data. The data will throttle if you exceed a cap (which eludes me because I've done it maybe once?) but even when the throttle is on, you're still getting data at a pretty decent clip.

Would recommend.

I agree with what's said here.

My Moms on wind. She wanted a cheap plan and doesnt really travel outside of the city so her reception is usually decent. She pays $39 a month for unlimited talk/text/data Canada wide I think. Its a cheaper deal that offers a lot more than my Telus plan but I need 100% coverage throughout the lower mainland for work. No exceptions. Wind cant offer that.

My girlfriend's had Wind for a couple of years, as has a friend. They both HATE it. It's cheap but the reception is spotty as hell. They basically only have a couple towers in the Van area, so depending on where you are, you can be in the shadow of a hill or some buildings and have zero reception. Also Rogers owns them now, so expect some major changes to plan costs in the next year or so.

Koodo is the way to go in my mind. All plans are nationwide but still the cheapest next to Wind. I'm moving to Toronto in 2 days and don't have to change plans or numbers or anything. If you go over on data, minutes or texts, the charges are small and you're always warned when you've used up the majority of your plan's allotted amount.

Fido is almost the exact same as Koodo (literally, they just copied their plans) but the big difference is that Koodo has it's own dedicated customer service people you can talk to who have been awesome. I've probably been given $50 in free $&!# and waived fees from 3 minute phone calls. Fido directs to Rogers' awful service centres, so good luck with that

I am Mobilicity. The plans are very cheap and do the job quite well, in most places. There are some zones that reception just wouldn't work, but they work 95 percent of the time.

Worth checking out as an alternative.

I have unlimited texting/data.

My girlfriend's had Wind for a couple of years, as has a friend. They both HATE it. It's cheap but the reception is spotty as hell. They basically only have a couple towers in the Van area, so depending on where you are, you can be in the shadow of a hill or some buildings and have zero reception. Also Rogers owns them now, so expect some major changes to plan costs in the next year or so.

Koodo is the way to go in my mind. All plans are nationwide but still the cheapest next to Wind. I'm moving to Toronto in 2 days and don't have to change plans or numbers or anything. If you go over on data, minutes or texts, the charges are small and you're always warned when you've used up the majority of your plan's allotted amount.

Fido is almost the exact same as Koodo (literally, they just copied their plans) but the big difference is that Koodo has it's own dedicated customer service people you can talk to who have been awesome. I've probably been given $50 in free crap and waived fees from 3 minute phone calls. Fido directs to Rogers' awful service centres, so good luck with that

Koodo was started by Telus: http://about.telus.com/community/english/about_us/company_overview/diversity/our_customersWhile the targets markets for Koodo are different than Telus, the service levels at Koodo would be no different than what you would get from Telus and Telus is by far the telecom/TV services leader in customer service.

Koodo was started by Telus: http://about.telus.com/community/english/about_us/company_overview/diversity/our_customersWhile the targets markets for Koodo are different than Telus, the service levels at Koodo would be no different than what you would get from Telus and Telus is by far the telecom/TV services leader in customer service.

Sounds a lot like a spin-job by a Telus employee.

Sounds a lot like a spin-job by a Telus employee.

Nope, but I have used different service providers, now been with Telus for years for all my services and it is largely because of the service levels. And in a sense you are right because a lot of it has to do with Telus' corporate culture moving towards the degree of customer-oriented.

Furthermore, statistically Telus by far has the least complaints among national carriers and they get a fraction of the number of complaints that their competitors get, according to the CCTS. In fact for the 2014-2015 CCTS report, Telus did not even crack the top 5 for complaints. http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/en/2014-2015/CCTS-Mid-Year-Report-2014-2015.pdf

Telus is so good in fact that Bell-owned Globe & Mail couldn't avoid pumping them up! :lol:

And as with previous CCTS reports, Vancouver-based Telus Corp. stands out as an example of the success that can stem from a strong focus on customer service, which the company has placed at the centre of its corporate culture for more than half a decade.

Despite being one of Canada’s three biggest wireless carriers and a major Internet provider in the west, Telus attracts only a fraction of the number of complaints aimed at its peers BCE Inc. and Rogers Communications. (BCE owns 15 per cent of The Globe and Mail.)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/ccts-reports-drop-in-complaints-over-phone-and-internet-services/article23749378/

I think eventually wind and mobilicity will merge anyways, so it doesn't make a difference.

Telus/Fido/Rogers is a non-starter for me, i really need the data and with mobilicity slow data speed, i manage to use almost 5GB every month. I couldn't imagine how much data i would use if i have LTE. 500MB for a month? Is that a joke, what is the point of LTE then? You will use all your data in a matter of hour.

I would gladly pay 100 dollars per month for unlimited LTE, too bad no such option available.

Im with Telus and pay $70/month (minimum for 2 year contract plans) and I've been with them for well over 8 years and I've had no complaints. Just recently switched to a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 for $100 and that's because they price matched it. I pay a lot but I get a lot back and I only need 1 GB of data which is enough for me.

i'm with WIND, and have been a customer since day 1, but right now, i'm exploring my options for either koodo or virgin. i started off with fido, but they started to put the screws to me, which made me switch over to WIND. it was a good ride, and i have nothing bad to say about WIND, but they're growing too slowly, while other companies are starting to take notice of what WIND has to offer and have much better service. WIND data is the drizzling ****s. thats one thing i can complain about. if you don't have a busy social life, and just mainly use your phone for work, or your parents, or the 2-3 friends that you have, locally, go with WIND or mobilicity. they "get the job done"

Archived