The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBC Sports chairman asked NHL to ban playoff beards

NBC Sports chairman asked NHL to ban playoff beards

CHICAGO – The playoff beard. One of the Stanley Cup Playoffs’ greatest traditions, as players go from baby-faced athletes to burly mountain men the deeper their teams advance in the postseason.

(Or, in some cases, go from baby-faced athletes to … baby-faced athletes with terrible patchy beards.)

The players love them. The fans love them. But someone has to be the Scrooge of Scruff, and that man is Mark Lazarus, the chairman of NBC Sports.

According to Ed Sherman of the Chicago Tribune, Lazarus actually lobbied the NHL to end the tradition of playoff beards because, in his opinion, they hinder the development of new stars in the League during the playoffs.

It’s not the logo on the front. It’s not the name on the back. It’s the whiskers around their collar.

From the Tribune:

“The players won't like this, but I wish they all would stop growing beards in the postseason,” Lazarus said. “Let's get their faces out there. Let's talk about how young and attractive they are. What model citizens they are. (Hockey players) truly are one of a kind among professional athletes.

“I know it's a tradition and superstition, but I think (the beards do) hurt recognition. They have a great opportunity with more endorsements. Or simply more recognition with fans saying, 'That guy looks like the kid next door,' which many of these guys do. I think that would be a nice thing."

Look, we respect the hell out of Lazarus. He knows sports television, he knows how to sell it. (See: Olympics.)

But the idea that sports fans are like children who see their fathers shave off facial hair and are like “where did daddy go?!” is sorta … preposterous?

NHL stars are sold on two things: Skills and story. A beard doesn’t change what they do on the ice. A beard doesn’t change who they are intrinsically, if NBC would spend the time to churn out the same level of vignettes for the Stanley Cup Final that it does, say, for the Olympics.

And the idea that some of these players are less attractive with beards?

Well, it wouldn’t be the first time the sports media has shown a tone deafness for the women (and some men) in its audience. Our own Chuck and Pants must be going apoplectic right now.

Luckily for all involved, the NHL and the NHLPA have ignored his requests.

“I’m just a TV guy,” Lazarus said. “They don’t want to listen to me.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nbc-sports-chairman-asked-nhl-to-ban-playoff-beards-190308592.html

What a numpty. You want to see players without beards? How about televising some games during the regular season.

What a numpty. You want to see players without beards? How about televising some games during the regular season.

You are being far too kind to use the word 'numpty'..... I have a few more and they conclude with 'brain dead American idiot'

Can I get a cascade of face palm memes for this moron? Good Lord liftin' Jaysus some peoples' stupidity never ceases to amaze me. Lazarus just leapt to the top of the list with his comments.

57373.jpg

umm, the guy isn't wrong?

a cleanly shaven (or at least not bearded), recognizable, handsome yet relatable face is certainly more marketable than a mike commodore or paul mara style beard.

that said, you can tell by his wording and approach in the article that lazarus:

a ) was respectful and understanding of the tradition despite his belief that getting rid of it would be beneficial, and

b ) knew that his idea was a lost cause.

take this as an opportunity to grow as people, respect and understand someone else's unpopular opinion, and not get yourself in a tizzy over nothing, ad most of you are wont to do.

umm, the guy isn't wrong?

a cleanly shaven (or at least not bearded), recognizable, handsome yet relatable face is certainly more marketable than a mike commodore or paul mara style beard.

that said, you can tell by his wording and approach in the article that lazarus:

a ) was respectful and understanding of the tradition despite his belief that getting rid of it would be beneficial, and

b ) knew that his idea was a lost cause.

take this as an opportunity to grow as people, respect and understand someone else's unpopular opinion, and not get yourself in a tizzy over nothing, ad most of you are wont to do.

It's fine to respect and understand his opinion and still think it's wrong and stupid.

I can see the sentiment, how can you have a "face of the NHL" or <insert team> and market it when during the regular season they can potentially look vastly different than the playoffs.

However, long live the tradition of playoff bears (coming from someone who can't grow one <_< )

Well...it falls under the personal hygiene / appearance clause used by work place environments all over the place...ie you must be presentable at all times...

That said, NHL Hockey players aren't in the food service industry for example.

Playoff beards are a tradition!

What next, no tats neither?

You know what we should do? We should all fling our poo out the window instead of flushing it down the toilet. Think about how much we'll save on plumbing and water usage. And in the short time of 3-4 weeks, we'll all be used to the poo smell.

Dont fix something that isnt broken. Fans love it, players love it, who cares what some white collard suit that watches maybe 10 games a year thinks.

I saw this and chuckled.

Especially with the NFL and NBA being so broadcast

You know, beards are bad.

But

PEDs, Sexual abuse, sexual assaults, spousal assaults and abuse, robbery, gun charges, theft, assaults, murder, attempted murder, child abuse, animal abuse and so much more....

Need not be commented on

But dem beards yo.

“The players won't like this, but I wish they all would stop growing beards in the postseason,” Lazarus said. Let's get their faces out there. Let's talk about how young and attractive they are. What model citizens they are...

I missed the memo that says a beard means you're not a model citizen.

Archived