The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dog Lunges in Front of Bus, Saves Blind Owner's Life

key2thecup

Heroic service dog threw himself in front of an oncoming bus to save blind owner

service-dog-.jpg

Figo may be a service dog, but on Monday he went above and beyond the call of duty to protect his blind owner from an oncoming bus.

The golden retriever was out with owner Audrey Stone in Brewster, New York, when a bus driver turned a corner without looking. Leaping into action, Figo threw himself in front of the oncoming mini-bus in an attempt to shield Stone from harm's way.

service-dog-II.jpg

Stone fractured her elbow and ankle, broke three ribs, and cut her head from the imapct Figo received a deep, severe cut on his leg; his fur clung to the bus' bumper and the pavement.

Paul Schwartz, a manager at the local Xtra Mart, saw the incident and ran out to help. He told The Journal News how good-natured Figo was throughout, despite his injury.

The dog was being a good sport, really calm. He sat with me the whole time. He was limping as we put him on a big blanket on the sidewalk and it started to rain. He let us wrap up his leg without any problem. He wasn't barking or crying or yelping. But he kept pulling toward her. After she was put on a gurney and taken away, he stopped doing that. He seemed a little lost after she left.

service-dog-IV.jpg

Stone was taken in an ambulance to Danbury Hospital. Since dogs are not allowed in ambulances, Figo rode with the fire department to Middlebranch Veterinary, where he went into surgery for the wound on his leg.

"The dog took a lot of the blow," Brewster Police Chief John Del Gado told The Journal News. "And he did not want to leave her side. He stood right with her. He was there to save her."

Figo is out of surgery, and he and Stone are both recovering.

The driver of the mini-bus has been issued a summons for failing to yield to a pedestrian.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/09/service-dog-saves-owner-from-bus/

Such a feel good story, I'm not going to lie though I kind of feel bad for those dogs for having to be tied down their whole life like that just to adhere to someone elses disability.

Probably just an ill informed opinion on my part but do they get any exercise or freedom from people who aren't blind outside of travelling as a guide?

Such a feel good story, I'm not going to lie though I kind of feel bad for those dogs for having to be tied down their whole life like that just to adhere to someone elses disability.

Probably just an ill informed opinion on my part but do they get any exercise or freedom from people who aren't blind outside of travelling as a guide?

I know what you mean. I'd assume that guide dogs get reasonable freedom when inside the house of a blind person, though. Just like a normal dog.

Archived