The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Mario Lemieux wants To Sell The Pittsburgh Penguins

SPORTSMONEY 6/09/2015 10:18AM

Why Mario Lemieux wants To Sell The Pittsburgh Penguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins have peaked. The great turnaround led by Mario Lemieux, who paid $107 million for the NHL team in 1999, is complete.

Although some have speculated the Penguins will sell for six times the $107 Lemieuxs group paid in 1999, I doubt it.

As Mike Colligan has so expertly pointed out in his three-part series on the Penguins, the team already has a new building, is set with a long term cable television deal with Root Sports that runs through the 2028-29 season and has been selling out every home game for years. The league also has its Canadian and U.S. media deals set for several years.

In addition, it will be very difficult for the team to improve and be more than a two-round playoff team. Stars like Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin are locked up in long term deals, and the teams payroll is among the highest in the league and has no cap space.

How big a score would a sale mean for Lemieux? Assuming the sale would include the hockey team and lease to CONSOL Energy Center, but not the real estate development project at the former Civic Center, I figure a buyer would be looking at an enterprise value of $565 million or soabout four times revenue.

Last November we pegged the value of the Minnesota Wild at $370 million, which was the precise enterprise value Matthew Hulsizer paid to get Philip Falcones stake the following January. The $370 million price worked out to 3.3 times trailing revenue. Both the Wild and Penguins play in new, state-of-the-art, single tenant arenas that are controlled by their NHL teams. But the Wild have been losing money while the Penguins are profitable.

Selling now would be smart. Interest rates and equity valuations have been in a bull market for several years. Who knows how long it can last? Given the teams been profitable in aggregate during his 15 year ownership tenure, selling for $565 million would yield pure profitand a 12% compound annual return.

Hall of Famers like Lemieux have a great knack of knowing when to shoot or pass. By exploring his options to sell, Lemieux is showing he has a knack for this off the ice as well.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2015/06/09/why-mario-lemieux-wants-to-sell-the-pittsburgh-penguins/

I don't understand how having stars like Crosby and Malkin limits the ability to go beyond two rounds. I understand their stupidly high cap hit, but it seems like a bad excuse to me.

I don't understand how having stars like Crosby and Malkin limits the ability to go beyond two rounds. I understand their stupidly high cap hit, but it seems like a bad excuse to me.

It is a weak excuse. They have no one to blame but their front office's absolutely horrible asset management.

This.

The simplest explanation is usually the right one. They had a chance to be Chicago east and blew it.

Yes. theminister and I were discussing this elsewhere - in the Martin/Ehrhoff thread.

When you look at the list of young defensemen alone that they squandered for a pathetic sum return it becomes fairly clear how incompetent that franchise's management is.

Despres, Muzzin, Morrow, Samuelsson, Bortuzzo... not to mention the picks they spent on horrible rentals, year after year. Two 2nd round picks to rent a finished Douglas Murray for example. Rent Iginla for a 1st. Rent Morrow for Morrow. Just way too much wasted futures.

They've been lit up in the playoffs perenially, and they've chased shiny forward assets instead of building a solid team from the back forward.

Blaming Crosby and Malkin, or their contracts is nonsense.

Yes. theminister and I were discussing this elsewhere - in the Martin/Ehrhoff thread.

When you look at the list of young defensemen alone that they squandered for a pathetic sum return it becomes fairly clear how incompetent that franchise's management is.

Despres, Muzzin, Morrow, Samuelsson, Bortuzzo... not to mention the picks they spent on horrible rentals, year after year. Two 2nd round picks to rent a finished Douglas Murray for example. Rent Iginla for a 1st. Rent Morrow for Morrow. Just way too much wasted futures.

They've been lit up in the playoffs perenially, and they've chased shiny forward assets instead of building a solid team from the back forward.

Blaming Crosby and Malkin, or their contracts is nonsense.

I have never been a fan of rental players. Most of the time they are wasted draft picks. Teams get caught trying to supplement a shallow free agency pool by jumping on a deadline deal. Not to mention that since all of this league parity has come about it has almost always been a sellers market.

What are you going to do with 600 mil Lemieux? Keep the team, fire your management team and get back to Championship hockey.

Would Lemieux himself get $565,000,000?

With 12% interest... the gain would be $67,000,000 after the first year.

in 7 years, if the money was left to gain interest the entire time: it would total $1,249,035,000....

I would F***ing sell now too.

How are you making 12% interest? Can u please let me know so I can do it with my money?

in 7 years, if the money was left to gain interest the entire time: it would total $1,249,035,000....

I believe he owns the team with at least one other guy. I'm sure he probably didn't pay cash for his stake in the team either. I imagine there is some level of debt with the team - especially with a new arena being built somewhat recently. That's generally how a business operates.

So as fun as it is to imagine.. I doubt mario would see anything remotely close to 565M cash in his pocket. That's not to say he wouldn't have made a significant return on his investment, but I'm sure it's not even in the same ball park.

Also.. where is this 12% coming from (in op)? I want in on that.

How are you making 12% interest? Can u please let me know so I can do it with my money?

Beat me to it, I love how everyone who talks about investment brings out the 12%...like 12% is guaranteed just for investing....nevermind that 10 year annualized returns usually average below 5%.

where the heck would you find 12% interest rates in the US? nowhere.

the article says that he's had an average 12% return on investment per year since he bought the team if he sells right now at the price they believe he would get. lemieux would not get 12% interest on the 565 million after he sells.

Archived