The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[speculation] Why not Lack for Yakupov straight up?

I was just looking at the bleacher report for today and saw:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2494569-hypothetical-nhl-trades-based-on-the-latest-rumors/page/3

Lack for Buffalo's second rounder at this years draft

and then

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2494569-hypothetical-nhl-trades-based-on-the-latest-rumors/page/4

Robin Lehner from Ottawa for Yakupov straight up.

I just thought right away, Yakupov on the Canucks would be awesome, should this not be reversed?

If we are losing Lack, whom I'd must prefer to keep and sacrifice either of Miller of Markstrom instead, can we get Yakupov instead of a 2nd rounder and do a straight up trade?

Yakupov would look good in Canuck colours and would take the sting of losing Lack away. Throw in a pylon like Gaunce if we have to sweeten it?

These too reports don't make sense to me, would prefer to have it the other way around.

Because a smart GM would never trade a good goalie to the competition. Our division is already tough. We don't need to give them the goalie they might be looking for.

I think it's because a smart GM would never trade a great young prospect to the competition for a mediocre and likely never excellent goalie

I was just looking at the bleacher report for today and saw:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2494569-hypothetical-nhl-trades-based-on-the-latest-rumors/page/3

Lack for Buffalo's second rounder at this years draft

and then

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2494569-hypothetical-nhl-trades-based-on-the-latest-rumors/page/4

Robin Lehner from Ottawa for Yakupov straight up.

I just thought right away, Yakupov on the Canucks would be awesome, should this not be reversed?

If we are losing Lack, whom I'd must prefer to keep and sacrifice either of Miller of Markstrom instead, can we get Yakupov instead of a 2nd rounder and do a straight up trade?

Yakupov would look good in Canuck colours and would take the sting of losing Lack away. Throw in a pylon like Gaunce if we have to sweeten it?

These too reports don't make sense to me, would prefer to have it the other way around.

The 'too' reports don't make sense to you because they aren't reports. They're a writer at BR making up proposals based on any available rumour that's related.

1. Lack is anything from average. Many goaltenders peak later in their careers, Lack has steadily improved at every turn. Not his fault the team has been in shambles defensively the last two years.

2. Lost me @ "throw in a pylon like Gaunce". If you'd actually care to follow our prospects, Gaunce included you would know he's anything but a pylon, and certainly not a "throw in".

Lack for Yakupov is enticing, and certainly fair value for all included, Lehner is certainly far less proven than Lack, and thus is worth less and more deserving of a high 2nd round pick that you have no idea what will come of it.

1. Lack is anything from average. Many goaltenders peak later in their careers, Lack has steadily improved at every turn. Not his fault the team has been in shambles defensively the last two years.

2. Lost me @ "throw in a pylon like Gaunce". If you'd actually care to follow our prospects, Gaunce included you would know he's anything but a pylon, and certainly not a "throw in".

Lack for Yakupov is enticing, and certainly fair value for all included, Lehner is certainly far less proven than Lack, and thus is worth less and more deserving of a high 2nd round pick that you have no idea what will come of it.

There is nothing overly special about Lack's game and trading him for a young 1st overall player is retarded. Now if it were Kassian and Lack for Yakupov, maybe they would consider

I think it's because a smart GM would never trade a great young prospect to the competition for a mediocre and likely never excellent goalie

I wouldn't call nail yakupov a great prospect. Bo horvat is a great prospect. Yakupov has had nothing but red flags raise through his first few years. 14 goals last year and only showing up when he feels like it is not a great prospect.

Except what if Niemi doesn't want to sign with Edmonton?

Niemi is going to go to whatever team wants him and willing to pay the most. A true playoff contender will not be interested as their goalie is already better

I wouldn't call nail yakupov a great prospect. Bo horvat is a great prospect. Yakupov has had nothing but red flags raise through his first few years. 14 goals last year and only showing up when he feels like it is not a great prospect.

We can have a difference of opinion. Pretty hard to learn when you are on a broken team. His talent is top notch.

totally agreed... and the pylon comment was unnecessary, just think Gaunce could possibly become redundant in our prospect pool... And for the record I'd prefer Markstrom for Yakupov but if it came done to it, would prefer Yakupov more for Lack than a second rounder.

Archived