The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[speculation] Why not Lack for Yakupov straight up?

Lack is better than that and there are too many question marks around Yakupov. If Edmonton does want Lack I say either:

Lack for 16 overall and a 5th rounder

Or

Lack for Yakupov and a 4th rounder

I don't even want Yakupov anywhere near this team. Why do ppl put so much value to this guy? Because he was wrongly picked 1st overall? The guy is a minus 200 so far after his 3rd season. The first time he scores 18 goals, he is going to command $6mil+. He can't back check to save his life and is softer than Cottonelle.

I would rather take the chance on #31 from Buffalo than Yakupov. Chances are whoever is selected also has more heart than young Nail.

If Benning is offered #31 for Lack, He best be taking it.

Andersson

Meloche

Fischer

Carlsson

Larson

Novak

Beauvillier

Carlo

Will all likely be available at that pick and each would help this team

I'd be down for Yakupov, the guy was a canuck fan and idolizes Bure.

It'd be a treat to have him here.

let's get something clear, there will never be another Bure. Especially not out of Yakupov. Bure has wheels, skill, and more balls than Yakupov could ever dream of. There won't be another Bure for a longgg LONG time.

Heck, Russian hasn't even produced the next Larionov, Fedorov or even Fetisov.

Yakety Yak isn't needed here.

1. Lack is anything from average. Many goaltenders peak later in their careers, Lack has steadily improved at every turn. Not his fault the team has been in shambles defensively the last two years.

2. Lost me @ "throw in a pylon like Gaunce". If you'd actually care to follow our prospects, Gaunce included you would know he's anything but a pylon, and certainly not a "throw in".

Lack for Yakupov is enticing, and certainly fair value for all included, Lehner is certainly far less proven than Lack, and thus is worth less and more deserving of a high 2nd round pick that you have no idea what will come of it.

I know right? Gaunce actually played pretty damn well for his first pro season. Sounds like he will be a good bottom nine player in the NHL

let's get something clear, there will never be another Bure. Especially not out of Yakupov. Bure has wheels, skill, and more balls than Yakupov could ever dream of. There won't be another Bure for a longgg LONG time.

Heck, Russian hasn't even produced the next Larionov, Fedorov or even Fetisov.

Yakety Yak isn't needed here.

Let's get something clear, someone mentioning a player idolizing Bure does not mean that someone is saying that player is going to become another Bure.

Ovechkin // Malkin ?? great players man don't know why they have to live up to these "legends"

You don't even know Yakupov lol the kid is fast, he is 21, and the kid obviously has skill seeing as he was drafted 1rst overall.

The kid's problem is defensively and his compete level which he can learn and grow out of..

I don't even want Yakupov anywhere near this team. Why do ppl put so much value to this guy? Because he was wrongly picked 1st overall? The guy is a minus 200 so far after his 3rd season. The first time he scores 18 goals, he is going to command $6mil+. He can't back check to save his life and is softer than Cottonelle.

I would rather take the chance on #31 from Buffalo than Yakupov. Chances are whoever is selected also has more heart than young Nail.

If Benning is offered #31 for Lack, He best be taking it.

Andersson

Meloche

Fischer

Carlsson

Larson

Novak

Beauvillier

Carlo

Will all likely be available at that pick and each would help this team

I wouldn't even say that's so much value. But if you could flip Eddie Lack for a guy with Yakupovs talent, that is a GREAT trade. Yakupov has elite talent, but the risk follows in worth ethic and overall rounded out game. It's possible to reach that, and if you did, the returns would be unbelievable. I for one would take that risk any day if its at the cost of a 2nd backup goalie when we already have Markstrom. I don't think there's any truth to this rumor but hey, If I'm JB and I get a call for this trade… Done...

The fact your getting all worked up over some random BR writer making his own proposals is embarrassing.

Lack and Lehner will not fetch Yakupov. Lack on the open market is worth a early 2nd to late 1st

If Buffalo came calling and was offering there 2nd #31, i would play hardball as long as i can trying to get there 1st #21. If the rumours of Edmonton giving #16 up to the Rangers for Talbot are true, Buffalo giving up #21 for Lack wouldn't be unrealistic. And if they dont Hopefully we could pinch another 2nd out as well i would settle for #21 by itself or #31+#51

The fact your getting all worked up over some random BR writer making his own proposals is embarrassing.

Lack and Lehner will not fetch Yakupov. Lack on the open market is worth a early 2nd to late 1st

If Buffalo came calling and was offering there 2nd #31, i would play hardball as long as i can trying to get there 1st #21. If the rumours of Edmonton giving #16 up to the Rangers for Talbot are true, Buffalo giving up #21 for Lack wouldn't be unrealistic. And if they dont Hopefully we could pinch another 2nd out as well i would settle for #21 by itself or #31+#51

The Sabres are using their #21 to get Samsonov.

I was just looking at the bleacher report for today and saw:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2494569-hypothetical-nhl-trades-based-on-the-latest-rumors/page/3

Lack for Buffalo's second rounder at this years draft

and then

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2494569-hypothetical-nhl-trades-based-on-the-latest-rumors/page/4

Robin Lehner from Ottawa for Yakupov straight up.

I just thought right away, Yakupov on the Canucks would be awesome, should this not be reversed?

If we are losing Lack, whom I'd must prefer to keep and sacrifice either of Miller of Markstrom instead, can we get Yakupov instead of a 2nd rounder and do a straight up trade?

Yakupov would look good in Canuck colours and would take the sting of losing Lack away. Throw in a pylon like Gaunce if we have to sweeten it?

These too reports don't make sense to me, would prefer to have it the other way around.

Gaunce is not a pylon. He's playing very well. Could be a great third liner for us. As for Yakupov, his value is still signifcantly higher than Lacks, or Lehners for that matter. Bleacher Report is trash.

Lack and Hamhuis for Yakupov and Edmonton's 2nd (33rd) would benefit both clubs. It would be win win. Edmonton will lose the losing by adding a veteran shut down defenseman and a legit number one goaltender who loosens up the room with a sense of humour and a big smile. McDavid and Draisaitl will not start their illustrious careers missing the playoffs. Nurse will have someone to look up to and respect.

Canucks get a step up on rebuilding. Baertshi and Yakupov could be a new front line for when the Sedins retire.

Yakupov is a typical russian floater, who is inconsistent and streaky. I dont see how everyone here wants him so bad, he hasnt even scored 20 in the NHL yet. Perimeter russian floaters are also not valuable during the playoffs once the checking gets tight, he is a poor man's Alex Semin.

People who want Yakupov should work for the Oilers, they also drooled at his speed etc but forgot you dont win championships with these type of players as your centerpiece.

Because a smart GM would never trade a good goalie to the competition. Our division is already tough. We don't need to give them the goalie they might be looking for.

Gillis wasn't smart, yet he refused to trade Schneider to Edmonton.

4th round pick + Bieksa to Pittsburgh or St. Louis for a 2nd round pick (Alone, Bieksa's probably only worth a 3rd).

Vancouver sends 2nd round pick (40-50ish overall) + Markstrom to Edmonton for Yakupov?

We keep Lack, get Yak.

Future forward group:

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Jensen - Cassels - Yakupov

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Gaunce - McCann

Speculation was that Edmonton was willing to give up a 1st, 2nd and prospect for Scheids. Then Gillis shows up at the draft and trades him for 9th overall.

I hadn't heard that - source? The rumour that was going around at the time was the 7th overall and MPS. The Canucks needed more assurance than that before they traded Schneider to a division rival with lots of young talent.

Archived