The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ryan Miller won't be moved & looking for a 2nd rounder or hockey trade for Lack/Markstrom

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-defencemen-a-hot-commodity-at-draft/

3. Obviously, the goalie debate is the big one in Vancouver. (That topic just never goes away, does it?) After their scouting meetings, Benning was willing to say two things: First, Ryan Miller is not the one being traded. Second, while he is looking to get a second-round draft pick for the one he traded earlier, "We are also looking to make hockey trades." So, if it is Eddie Lack, for example, it's not guaranteed to be Lack for a pick. Possible, but not a lock.

2. "Have you ever been to the rink in Manchester?" Canucks GM Jim Benning said Saturday. (No.) "They have a banner showing all of the players who played here on their first Stanley Cup team. Then, they have a banner with all of those who played on the second one. They are the gold standard of our business, drafting and developing. Thats what we want to get to." It was a good run for Vancouvers AHL team. So, how many Comets are ready to contend for an NHL job next season? " I'd say, three-to-five of them," Benning replied. My guess is that includes goalie Jacob Markstrom, defencemen Adam Clendening and Frankie Corrado and forward Sven Baertschi

I guess trading 34 year old Miller with a $6m cap hit was too unrealistic as much as getting younger is the goal. Plus it'd hurt GM rep trading away Miller right after we signed him with future free agents and he brings stability which is always a great thing.

So, either Lack/Markstrom for a 2nd or a hockey trade.

For some reason I feel like Eddie Lack is the Canucks, he's the heart of the team...

If they move him I just don't know how much i will care about this team anymore... Trading Eddie Lack will have a very very negative effect on the fanbase...

Edit: I know I will catch flack for it but I don't care, it's my opinion...

For some reason I feel like Eddie Lack is the Canucks, he's the heart of the team...

If they move him I just don't know how much i will care about this team anymore... Trading Eddie Lack will have a very very negative effect on the fanbase...

Meh. What I thought initially a few months back but as much as Lack is the fan fav, personality can only take you so far. He's a 1B goalie and not a guy you can count on to be a 60+ starter and carry your team. He's 27 and won't get a whole lot better at this point in his career. I'm happy with trading either one of Lack/Markstrom. Whoever catches the best return, I'll be understanding.

I agree. He is a personality. He is tough to hate while it seemed like Lou was easy to hate by a select few

People are slowly turning into that phase where they'll defend the move just to defend it.

90% of people would keep lack if given the choice.

There is no logic behind keeping a goaltender who's eight years older, makes 4x as much money, and performed as a backup.

The only reason Miller is here is because he's not movable, and Benning does not want to go back on his mistake. I would treat it as a win for Benning if he moved him for a 7th, or paid a team a 6th to take him - something along those lines. Unless Miller gives top 10 performance like his contract dictates, it's not worth it.

960mqsq.gif

Marincin is a really good prospect. Problem is he has limited upside, and plays left side which is not of use to us ATM.

For some reason I feel like Robert Luongo Cory Schneider Eddie Lack is the Canucks, he's the heart of the team...

ftfy

Tom you seen to forget that Miller was the reason we started off so well. Sure he had some bad games that brought down his stats, but he also stole at lot of games for us and was consisently bailing out the defence in the first 40 games

Edit: IT WASN"T AN ERROR SIGNING MILLER, if we didn't everyone would be screaming fire Benning because we would have missed the playoffs. You can't say that the Markstrom who lead Utica to the finals would have been the same Markstrom we would have seen with the Canucks, infact I believe that the Markstrom at the beginning of the year would have failed miserably. He has made great strides this year, some of which is mental and some of which came from getting a lot of work in Utica.

Lack would have not handled a full 82 game schedule as well as he did in the last 2 months, being able to learn from a Vezina winner goalie has helped him.

I hate how everyone thinks that the goalie we have at the end of the year is the same as the goalie we had at the beginning of the year

Higgins + Lack for grigs and buffs 2nd is more than fair. Lack is more proven than grigs and the 2nd and Higgins balance the difference b/c higgy is prob worth a 3rd. This would be fantastic b/c we could potential have our #1 C that we've been coveting. Of course it comes with some risk but the reward would be worth it. If higgy is gone it frees up some cap space and a roster spot(Baertschi). Buff gets lack a young, solid starting G, and higgy to mentor the kids. Higgins is from NY also so maybe he'd waive. Works out for both teams.

Its your opinion that your opinion is the opinion of the fanbase though, so according to your opinion you shouldn't catch any flack.

The ONLY reason this is an issue is because there are some who believe Lack IS a #1 goalie. Hmmmm? Then why is he being paid as a back up and is a back up to Miller? Go figure. :)

Precisely this. Can't word it any better. Yea Miller's cap hit makes it unlikely to move him but still doesn't change this fact.

Archived