The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Merkley at 23rd.. not bad

icycold

whether or not we go for better or throw it in with a trade if need be, nick merkley, from what I saw of the youtube vids which yes I know don't mean anything really but he keeps his head up with decent vision, decent smooth skating, and a sense for passing at the right time and a he knows where the back of the net is which is fairly easy to see. If this equates to the pro level after development it's anyone's guess but it certainly wouldn't be a bad pick.

Although... more than anything we need to draft some prospects on D with size and skill but hope JB pulls off something to get us heading in the right direction on that.

Thoughts on it? would you stay with him or trade up or down and for who etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhAdo0aFg_0

i like merkley...but he'll probably be gone at 23...benning knows the players he wants...we'll find out in a week...i like chabot but don't know enough about all prospects accept for what i've read...if he gets a high 2nd round pick, i could see picking a d-man in the second round...

Merkley is the guy I am hoping for. I think Konecny will be gone by the time we pick so hopefully Merkley is stil there at 23. What I really like about Merkley is his elite level compete/drive. He competes extremely hard every second of his shift and all over the ice. Offensively, defensively and physically he is tenacious. He gives it his all every shift and is driven to win. I feel this elite level compete and drive is the surest predictor of NHL excellence. All his other hockey abilities is a bonus.

i thought Merkley was a huge threat in the Memorial Cup. He was making plays and getting shots from the slot. Small player with a lot of heart. He does remind me of Gallagher like mentions earlier. We can keep getting big forwards but sooner or later we will need our Cliff Ronnings. Be nice if we could get a 1st from Oilers or Buffalo for Lack and a minor league player. They both have two first round picks and both need a goalie. Still good goalies in Free Agency so hopefully JB can make a miraculous trade before the draft.

i like merkley...but he'll probably be gone at 23...benning knows the players he wants...we'll find out in a week...i like chabot but don't know enough about all prospects accept for what i've read...if he gets a high 2nd round pick, i could see picking a d-man in the second round...

I watched the kid more than once this year. In fact , watched Cassels and the generals kick the snot out of him and Leon. linden vey 2.0 ( although he's a winger). Not inerested at all

Archived