The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mitch Marner vs. Nikolaj Ehlers

Devoted

Mitch Marner vs Nikolaj Ehlers  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys, you might remember me from such topics as, 'Dylan Larkin vs Nikolaj Ehlers' and some posts in the prospect forums preaching patience and the need to almost* always draft for best player available. Well i'm back again to ask you, the knowledgable users of CDC, who is better. Mitchell Marner or Nikolaj Ehlers.

Who do you see having the greatest impact going forward for a keeper league squad?

Easy set of parameters.. Value is placed on: Goals, Assists, +/-, PPP, SHG..

Nikolaj Ehlers: Displaying the pedigree of an offensive wizard, Ehlers has proven all he can at the Major Junior level and will certainly press for a spot in Winnipeg's top nine set of forwards next season. He's slight at only 6'0 and roughly 175lbs, so the concern will be if he's able to get into the tough scoring areas against bigger, stronger NHL defensemen. Can he turn into the point producing winger he appears to be headed towards or will be become another softer, skilled middle 6 guy? Will the Big, Bad, Jets be able to protect Ehlers as he transitions to the bigs, and will Paul Maurice give him the opportunities to succeed? Many questions surround former QMJHL superstar players, and this offensive dynamo is no exception.

Top End Potential and Comparable: Elite producing winger - Jonathan Drouin/Markus Naslund

Ehlers_Mooseheads2_672x412.jpg

Mitch Marner: Patrick Kane, Claude Giroux, Marc Savard.. these are the players that Mitch Marner has been compared to. While he appears to be pre-pubescent, he has in fact grown 7 inches and put on close to 40 lbs in the 2 years he's spent in London. A cerebral player with lightening quick hands and an uncanny ability to create open space, this 5'11 160lbs centre is lauded as the most talented 2015 prospect not named McEichel. Dan Marr, the Director of NHL Central Scouting on Marner,

"High end skill set with puck handling and playmaking ability. Plays bigger than his size and is not afraid to get involved in traffic or battle for pucks. He is an excellent skater with very good quickness and agility. He possesses some of the quickest hands in this year's draft class.”

Big questions surround Marner are his ability to put on weight to survive the rigours of the pro game, and who his supporting cast will be, as it is still unsure where he will end up playing. Does this player make the NHL straight out of camp, or is he sent back to London to try for a Memorial Cup and WJC gold before moving on to the big leagues? Will he be a centre or winger when it all shakes out? Does he live up to the lofty comparables or does he evolve into a smaller, offensive middle 6 forward?

Top End Potential and Comparable: Patrick Kane/Claude Giroux
1297657828065_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

Who do YOU think will be the better fantasy player long term? Thanks in advance!

Tough to say at this point. The two biggest differences at this point is age and team.

Ehlers will likely play for the Jets next season, as he's not eligible to play in the AHL, and he has nothing left to prove in junior. Also, Ehlers will be playing on a team that will most likely make the playoffs over the next few years.

As for Marner, his size is an issue, much like Ehlers was during his draft year (weight more than anything). However, the biggest issue with Marner right now is the team that will draft him. The way it is set right now, either Toronto or Carolina will select him.

Now, I'm no expert on predicting who will be the better player; however, the Jets team right now is a lot further ahead in competing than either Toronto or Carolina is.

If it were me, I would take Ehlers.

Tough to say at this point. The two biggest differences at this point is age and team.

Ehlers will likely play for the Jets next season, as he's not eligible to play in the AHL, and he has nothing left to prove in junior. Also, Ehlers will be playing on a team that will most likely make the playoffs over the next few years.

As for Marner, his size is an issue, much like Ehlers was during his draft year (weight more than anything). However, the biggest issue with Marner right now is the team that will draft him. The way it is set right now, either Toronto or Carolina will select him.

Now, I'm no expert on predicting who will be the better player; however, the Jets team right now is a lot further ahead in competing than either Toronto or Carolina is.

I definitely like Ehlers' situation as it stands. Winnipeg is definitely a team on the rise and he should be sufficiently protected in their system. Marner to Carolina is a concern. No real plan, no real A-list talent now or coming in the pipeline. Otherwise I think either Arizona or Toronto should be good. Arizona will surround him with talent, but not experience (Domi, Duclair, OEL). While Toronto is at least trying to build properly and will have Babcock at the helm. A potential line of JVR-Nylander-Marner could be pretty fun in 3 years. - That made me feel ill just saying that..Toronto..gross.

Marner looks like he could be a franchise player, but i'm not sure the same can be said for Ehlers.

To add to my comment, Ehlers is expected to start on the second line next season, as the Jets are letting Frolik walk. If he sticks with the club, he'll be playing second line minutes, possibly first if he exceeds expectations or Ladd regresses.

Again, I don't know who is the better long term player, that won't be decided for years. But short term, Ehlers will be playing on a team next year that will be competitive. Marner may play next season, but certainly not on a team that will be competitive.

To add to my comment, Ehlers is expected to start on the second line next season, as the Jets are letting Frolik walk. If he sticks with the club, he'll be playing second line minutes, possibly first if he exceeds expectations or Ladd regresses.

Again, I don't know who is the better long term player, that won't be decided for years. But short term, Ehlers will be playing on a team next year that will be competitive. Marner may play next season, but certainly not on a team that will be competitive.

Thanks for your comments, I believe we are on the same level of thinking. Ehlers is likely destined for a much better situation than Marner; however I see Marner's skills translating better to the NHL. Should be very interesting to watch these players grow. They are fairly comparable in my mind for their high skill level, off the charts skating and slight statures.

Archived