The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would you be willing to do to keep Lack?

VIC_CITY

It seems like a lot of the fan base is in love with Eddie Lack...and who can blame them? The guy's a beaut! I know he is likely a goner and from a business stand point, that could very well be the right decision to make? But he's a fan favorite, a team first guy, he loves playing here, he's on a killer contract this year and should be an easy re-sign for Benning. These are players you want to keep.

Having said that, I think it's pretty obvious that Markstrom is staying. You can't be paying $10.0M in goaltending in 16/17 once you re-sign Lack and are still stuck with Miller. It's either Miller or Lack that goes. So let's get creative here!

What would you be willing to do to keep Lack?

Would you give away mid-level picks/prospects to a team that would just take Miller's contract off our hands? Would that even be enough?

Would you eat half of Miller's salary to fascilitate a trade?

Those ideas are not ideal and are both a big pill for Benning to swallow, but neither is trading Lack for a 2nd when Miller is clearly in a decline and coming off a significant injury.

So tell me (and Benning, because you know he's basing his decision solely on what he reads on CDC!) how bad you want to hear those EDDIE chants at Rogers Arena this year!

Personally, I'd trade a mid-late pick and a C+ prospect if someone would take Miller at full value.

I'd also absorb half of Miller's contract if it meant we would get back something close to Talbot's return. The money isn't an issue if the alternative is to keep Miller. This way we still pay the same money but get to keep Lack over Miller and probably get a better return for 2 years of Miller @ $3.0M per, rather than 1 year of Lack at $1.1M.

Thoughts?

Me? I would have merely not signed Miller.

I respectfully disagree. We need a veteran goalie if we want to go deep in the playoffs. I'm not sure Lack could handle a full season as a starter. I would say that Miller is in line for at least 30- 40 wins a season, with a playoff team like the Canucks. Could you say the same about Lack? Maybe I'm wrong. Keep Miller, develop Markstrom as the backup for the next two years, then make him the starter OR resign Miller and have him split games with Markstrom.

It's been a year since he was signed, so you can either give some input to this thread or go post in threads from last summer. Your choice...

Okay, then mulligan the Miller signing and trade him to the team of his choice for futures. San Jose?

What? The contract is untradable? Why if he's this veteran goalie that is needed to win? That makes no sense. Doesn't San Jose want to win too?

What I would do to keep Lack?

Simple.

Trade Markstrom.

Lack needs a mentor. He had Luongo for a bit, and now he has Miller.

If you wanted to better your game, wouldn't you want someone who has had a great career so far?

IE, a 20 something year old wouldn't make a great mentor (in hockey unless it was to someone younger - like bantam-juniors).

/thread

Sigh... I guess there is nothing to be done but dream up potential moves until we lose Markstrom on waivers. Our goaltending, as half-decent as it is, has virtually no value on the trade market because of where the team is at with contracts and cap space.

Even trading Lack, the most-tradeable goaltender here, means that a team has to be really sold on Lack for them to not just wait Benning out and pick Markstrom up on waivers. It might happen, but there's a lot of other better goaltenders on the block.

I would offer to walk Benning's dog for a year and mow his lawn for three summers.

+ I'd wash his car. And water his plants.

Must be worth something since I never wash my own car or water my plants.

Mentor? Roy (Penney), Brodeur (Terreri)... Quick (Labarbera), Crawford (Khabibulin).... Where did this mentor thing come from? lol.

I respectfully disagree. We need a veteran goalie if we want to go deep in the playoffs. I'm not sure Lack could handle a full season as a starter. I would say that Miller is in line for at least 30- 40 wins a season, with a playoff team like the Canucks. Could you say the same about Lack? Maybe I'm wrong. Keep Miller, develop Markstrom as the backup for the next two years, then make him the starter OR resign Miller and have him split games with Markstrom.

Is he an amazing veteran head and shoulders above Lack or is he unmovable?

The pro-Miller crowd can't have it both ways...

Is he an amazing veteran head and shoulders above Lack or is he unmovable?

The pro-Miller crowd can't have it both ways...

Can't he be a bit of both? Veteran who can be trusted when it comes down to the wire, but we only got him because of a slight overpayment, which might make him difficult to move in this market.

Nothing. He's a good kid, but he has no value to us. Miller is our starter for this season, and most likely next, and Jacob Markstrom is the future. Thatcher Demko could likely be his backup in 3-4 years. I'm already getting attached to whatever prospect the guy can bring in. No offense. But it's just simply time for us to part ways

Archived