The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marijuana dispensary regulations approved in Vancouver

Marijuana dispensary regulations approved in Vancouver

City becomes 1st in Canada to license and regulate pot shops, with about 100 retailers already open

Vancouver city council has voted to regulate and license the roughly 100 medical marijuana retailers in the city, making it the first city in Canada to do so and drawing fire from Health Minister Rona Ambrose.
The bylaw was supported by Mayor Gregor Robertson, the dominant Vision Vancouver councillors, and Green Party Coun. Adriane Carr. Opposed were the city's three Non-Partisan Association councillors.
Coun. Kerry Jang called the controversial bylaw "a common-sense approach to dealing with the explosion of medical marijuana shops in our city."
The bylaw will charge retail dealers a $30,000 licence fee — the city's highest permit cost — and prevent shops from operating within 300 metres of community centres, schools and other pot shops.
Under the rules, dozens are expected to be forced to close because they fall within those limits.
The B.C. Compassion Club Society's dispensary on Commercial Drive is one of the outlets that may need to move.
Jamie Shaw, the society's spokeswoman, said it could be difficult to find a new location.
"We've had dispensaries or potential dispensary operators looking for every available space in this city for the last two years... available space is now severely diminished," she said.
The non-profit society is Canada's oldest and largest medical cannabis dispensary and says it helps more than 10,000 members with a wide range of illnesses.
Shaw said she's glad the compassion club designation should mean the group only has to pay a $1,000 licence fee, but she thinks they should be able to sell edibles.
The bylaw does not allow the sale of edible products like pot brownies, with the exception of edible oils, which would include tinctures and capsules.
Public hearings
The city held four nights of public hearings on the proposed bylaws, with dozens of speakers for and against the new regulations.
"We're not regulating the product, we're simply regulating the business itself," said Jang.
Federal Health Minister Rona Ambrose opposed the bylaw, sending letters to Vancouver's mayor and city councillors telling them marijuana is illegal and the bylaw will increase marijuana use and addiction, and she issued a strongly worded statement after today's vote.

"I am deeply disappointed by the City of Vancouver's decision to 'regulate' illegal marijuana storefronts across the city," wrote Ambrose in a statement Wednesday.
"Storefronts selling marijuana are illegal and under this Conservative government will remain illegal. We expect the police to enforce the law."
In city council Wednesday, Coun. Geoff Meggs called that position "backward and destructive." He repeated the city's position that it's taking action because the federal government has not.
"Wake up, you are completely out of touch with the realities on the ground," said Meggs, aiming his comments at Ambrose.
Meggs also called the remarks in public hearings from some marijuana dispensary owners "tone deaf," and said that the city is acting because of evidence the retailers have not been good neighbours and have marketed pot sales toward children.
Great news, the city profits and we can have a legitimate industry that can grow under in the light, so to speak. While I think pot is benign enough that strict regulation of the pot itself is overboard, I do welcome a licensing scheme on these businesses. I don`t even mind the high fee, since they sell a legal substance at black market prices (which magically haven`t changed in more than 15 years since I puffed my first doobie). I also think they'll bring more legitimacy to the movement as a whole by exposing wholes in Conservatives' talking points. At least to the few deaf, dumb, and blind conservatives that still don't get it.
Thanks Ms. Ambrose for reminding us why voting Conservative is a mistake! Maybe after this election we can stop ruining lives of typical Canadians. That would be something, eh?

I've never smoked weed a day in my life and I don't plan to ever, but how is it a sin?

because he said it was. I heard you grow hair in your throat when inhaling marij******* smoke.

Didn't type the full word because I didn't want to go to H-E-double hockey sticks

Smoking weed is a sin against God.

On a similar note...

Christ says, "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God what is God's." Under the regulatory state and rule of law, there are very few commodities which remain outside the strictures of law and regulation. It's strange to me that people who are pro-marijuana, the counter-culture, anti-authority types, clamour to have it co-opted and brought into the system they supposedly despise. How many stoners are there out there who go out and buy a sack of dope from a guy their buddy knows, go and smoke it with some friends and say to each other, "this sucks, I wish instead of doing things in this informal, collegial manner we could buy our dope from an evil corporation and pay taxes to the government so that they can oppress us more effectively." Seems to me everyone on both sides has got it exactly backwards.

I've never smoked weed a day in my life and I don't plan to ever, but how is it a sin?

I could quote the bible but to put it simply- Since smoking weed was never a command of God, Christians should not smoke marijuana where doing so is illegal. Christians are also not supposed to drink alcohol but most do anyway.

I could quote the bible but to put it simply- Since smoking weed was never a command of God, Christians should not smoke marijuana where doing so is illegal. Christians are also not supposed to drink alcohol but most do anyway.

Fair enough.

Btw, it says don't get drunk (because of what can happen). Says nothing about drinking being bad. Jesus had wine.

But yeah, follow the law of the land that all may go well with you. I get that.

In my lifetime weed has never been really "illegal" in Canada in a general sense. Yeah it is technically but back in the 80s-90s we used to smoke a LOT of weed and the cops found it on us regularly but they didnt even confiscate it let alone arrest anyone. We didnt try to hide it either. They confiscated beer if we were drinking in public and maybe write a ticket or 2 for public consumption but never bothered doing anything about the weed.

We went to a Boston concert in Seattle once and the guy driving had a big bag of weed rolled up in his sleeve as he hung it out the window talking to the US customs guy. God he loved to push it.

Genesis chapter 1:29 a few different versions of the same passage.....

"All seed bearing plants and herbs I give to you"

"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed."

"Then God said, "I now give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the entire earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."

Genesis chapter 1:29 a few different versions of the same passage.....

"All seed bearing plants and herbs I give to you"

"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed."

"Then God said, "I now give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the entire earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."

Also this:

The strongest and most profound piece of evidence was established in 1936 by Sula Benet, a Polish etymologist from the Institute of Anthropological Sciences in Warsaw. Benet later stated that: "In the original Hebrew text of the Old Testament there are references to hemp, both as incense, which was an integral part of religious celebration, and as an intoxicant". Through comparative etymological study, Bennett documented that in the Old Testament and in its Aramaic translation, the Targum Onculos, hemp is referred to as q'neh bosm which (variously translated as kaneh bosem, keneh bosem, kaniebosm ) . . .

Benet's etymological research regarding the Hebrew terms q'eneh bosem' and q'eneh' was based upon tracing the modern word 'cannabis' back through history to show the similarities between the cognitive pronunciation of cannabis and q'eneh bosem' and as well as compared the term to the names used for cannabis by contemporary kingdoms, such as the Assyrian and Babylonians terms for the plant 'qunubu'. . . .

This use of an Indo-European word in the Semitic language shows that the ritual use of cannabis came to the Hebrews from foreign sources and as an item of trade, it retained the core aspects of its original name. . . . "Chrismation was ...a mode of administering healing balms . . . Cannabis sativa (kaneh bosm, usually translated "aromatic cane") is combined with perfuming spices (cinnamon, cassia, and myrrh) in oil.

Don't even see this as an issue anymore personally.

My neighbour lost his 32 year old daughter to cancer three weeks ago. She was consuming marijuana for comfort in the last few months of her life. What kind of idiot would have a problem with that?

Ftr: I don't smoke weed.

Edit: autospells.

On a similar note...

Christ says, "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God what is God's." Under the regulatory state and rule of law, there are very few commodities which remain outside the strictures of law and regulation. It's strange to me that people who are pro-marijuana, the counter-culture, anti-authority types, clamour to have it co-opted and brought into the system they supposedly despise. How many stoners are there out there who go out and buy a sack of dope from a guy their buddy knows, go and smoke it with some friends and say to each other, "this sucks, I wish instead of doing things in this informal, collegial manner we could buy our dope from an evil corporation and pay taxes to the government so that they can oppress us more effectively." Seems to me everyone on both sides has got it exactly backwards.

You know it's not just rebellious teens and patchoulie-scented hippies that smoke pot, right? You're presuming an awful lot about pot smokers. An awful lot.

Hey look, you found a pot smoker that isn't "counter culture, anti-authority type, clamouring to have it co-opted and brought into the system I despise". And neither are any of my friends. :rolleyes:

lol god.

You can regulate retail stores. You cant regulate Joe street dealer. It makes it easier for police, government and the patients.

I also dont understand why edibles arent allowed for medicinal consumption. It makes more sense than smoking it. Maybe because children could mistake it for sweets. But that could easily be solved with warning labels on the packaging.

The anti-legalization position is basically willful, head in the sand ignorance. They know nothing about the issue, dont care enough to know more or know anyone who benefits from the medicinal use. Control freaks. Anti progress. Modern day puritans.

Archived