The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Kevin Bieksa to ANA

You heard it here first.... Bieksa, Markstrom, and our first round draft pick for the 9th overall pick from San Jose. I have a source but will not name it. That is what is being worked on.

Flame away, as I know you love to do!

We were talking about that rumour since last night.

I'd actually prefer getting the seconds, as opposed to putting all eggs into one basket... unless Werenski's on the board.

If it's only Bieksa for the 39th, it would have been announced already. Would seem to be a bigger deal in the works.

Well apparently they're working out details. I'm assuming it involves Bieksa's extension, which is part of the deal.

This is what we need to dial our expectations back to. All this talk about the 9th overall pick might be complete BS.

Realistically, if we can get two 2nds and a prospect for Bieksa and Lack, it would be a very successful day.

A 39th pick for Bieksa isn't exactly paying the traded-within-the-division tax though. Especially considering Bieksa would be expected to resign in SJ. Multiple pieces to the trade targeting the 9th overall makes a lot more sense.

Have been wondering since last night what the Sharks fans' reactions are to this...

They're freaking out. Most of them are saying they'd give up a 4th round pick at most for him.

These are the same people that thought Ehrhoff sucked though.

Only thing I can add is I like Benning trading players that are getting up in age and still worth something to make the team better, I have always liked Bieksa but glad he is will to move shows he does respect the team and fans!Wonder who will be next besides a goalie!

Well, think about this:

Markstrom played in the only non televised preseason game from this past season... against SJ and was very good by all accounts, and then Vancouver quickly ushered him to the AHL.

Then look at the season he had in the AHL, and the playoff run he had.

Markstrom was always good at the AHL level, but not THIS good at the AHL level. He maybe has finally put it all together, and if that's the case he is valuable not just from a skill perspective, but also asset retention wise. He's young and currently an RFA. He's 3 years away from UFA status.

Plus, it's Doug Wilson we're talking about.

Oh since you can’t do it, It’s not about Markstroms talent, it’s about SJ teams need. You know the team that would be paying to acquire him, lets think about it from SJ’s point of view

Does picking up Bieska mean they want to win now or in the future? Let’s assume now.

Is Stalock/ Markstrom tandem going to increase your chances at winning now? Let’s assume no

That means SJ will still be in the market for a #1 goalie to help them win. So they will have to trade/sign someone to fill that hole.

Acquiring another goalie means they will have 3 goalies. Are they going to run the whole year with 3 goalies? Let’s assume no

One goalie will be put on waivers/traded. Markstrom being the low man on the totem pole means good bye Markstrom.

Markstrom has zero value to the sharks.

Sharks aren’t in the Markstrom for an almost NHL ready goalie that can play back up. They already have Stalock, who has pretty impressive career NHL numbers. Again it’s not rocket science. Just connect the dots.

Can't wait for the outrage when Lack + Bieksa only nets us 2 2nds...

Only people that would be outraged is the casual fans.

All along knowledgeable fans have said Lack is worth a 2nd and Bieksa worth a 3rd or 4th.

So getting 2 2nds would be a win for me if we got that for both !!

I'd gladly trade Bieksa and Lack for two of :

Sprong

Dermott

Dunn

Juulsen

Kylington

Beuavaullier

Boesser

Last year's news. We brought in more 35yr olds to complement our current 35yr olds.

What happened to the winning atmosphere when a guy who's clearly a Canuck at heart, a mentor, the only remaining guy on the team with a sack, is cast off like nothing? It's confusing, that's all. But nobody said the Canucks weren't confusing.

Complain complain complain. IS that all you do? "I can't believe the Canucks are keeping old vets over giving young guys a shot. This team is going downhill." The Canucks ask one of their oldest vets to waive their NTC so they can, most likely, give 2 rookies a shot. "I can't believe the Canucks are trading a vet like Kevin Bieksa." Dude, make up your mind.

Nobody is confused, but you. It's a business. Even in a business, Vets who are Canucks at heart, still get traded. If that's what is good for the team, and possibly the player as well, well that's what is good. This isn't the first time I've seen you default to the "it's just confusing is all.' argument. Are you 9? "Golly gee, the Canucks are exploring options for Kevin Bieksa? Oh nooooo!" You don't understand that sometimes you have to trade 34 year old vets for assets, while giving young guys opportunities to stay competitive? Or you do understand that very well, and you just want to complain and tell everyone about who the sky is falling?

Right now we have both Clendening, a PMD, and Corrado, a do it all swiss army like defenceman, are both ready to play right side next year. Or at least Benning things so. Clendening is the offensive defensman we have been begging for, and Corrado is the replacement to Bieksa. He brings a similar skill set and will be molded to fill the whole Bieksa left.

Stop crying, especially when the Canucks do exactly what you want them to do. I will repeat both Benning and Linden's philosophy for the next few years. "The goal is to GET YOUNGER while maintaining a winning atmosphere, and making the playoffs every year." Well this is how you do it. Literally never has been a better time to trade Bieksa than now. Love the guy, bleeds blue and green. But Iginla got traded, Alfredsson got traded, St Louis got traded, Callahan got traded, etc. These guys were team Captians (aside from St Louis who would have been if not for Vinny Lecavalier), and bled their team colors. It's the cost of business.

Archived