The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

On 2017-03-22 at 11:38 PM, vancan2233 said:

All players know they do not have a choose who drafts them. It an unwritten truth as a player you will do what it takes to help the team that showed the honor of drafting you. Lindros was a joke for what he was able to do to Quebec, but if the return for a player not signing was equal to the Lindros deal teams would not care. Could you image if all players were able to get away with telling teams they should not draft them. 

It should be a written rule that if a first round player ask for a trade before playing one game for the team that drafted him, then the team willing to take him in traded should have to over compensate. Called it the Lindros clause. Now a draft pick should also be protected if a team is not giving him every opportunity to succeed, a number of scenarios can happen in this case.  

I agree. Hockey does not need primadonnas like that. It is a self-placed label which is likely to shorten your career one way or another. Ultimately Forsberg was the better player, and a cup winner (unlike Lindros). But I agree, that sort of arrogance has no place in hockey. Before the league became as big as it is now, players were under paid compared to other pro athletes. A friend was making less than 100k as a full time big heavyweight in the mid 80`s. Before that many guys used to work in the summer including a former Leaf captain whose son I played with in Europe. I am glad players are getting there due these days but there should never be room given for arrogant prix.