The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Last year was luck IMO.. if he starts in the NHL (and that's a BIG if) he probably won't hit 20. Hopefully he proves me wrong but i doubt it as a huge % of prospects never acheive their potential

that's my CDC politically correct answer.. need to fit in around here.. being to positive is trolling.. who knew?

• Upvote 1

On 7/20/2017 at 5:39 AM, SynysterGates said:

Brocks looking awesome, but gotta do something about that hideous number.

Bite your tongue good sir. 6 was Sami's number and he was one of the finest gentleman to grace our lineup IMO. 6 looks just fine.

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Last year was luck IMO.. if he starts in the NHL (and that's a BIG if) he probably won't hit 20. Hopefully he proves me wrong but i doubt it as a huge % of prospects never acheive their potential

that's my CDC politically correct answer.. need to fit in around here.. being to positive is trolling.. who knew?

Alright dude fine I'll give you a negative if you really want one that bad

8 hours ago, nergish said:

We haven't had a surefire prospect in the better part of a decade. Hodgson scared us from being confident in our player development, but Brock is one we'll likely never have to worry about. He will have as large an impact on this franchise as he's willing to make.

From the hashmarks in, he makes the same push to the net and quick release as Auston Matthews (may they both represent team USA internationally), but has that token Hull/Stamkosian one-timer.

Feel free to get excited, he's a gem... and by all accounts an excellent character. 20 goals perennially is a low bar for somebody who can shoot like Brock, and when have we ever been able to say that about one of our guys?

Could you please explain the shot that Boeser executes that it similar to Mathews?

On 2017-07-21 at 8:17 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Could you please explain the shot that Boeser executes that it similar to Mathews?

Umm ya... not the shot itself, but the drive to net. That switch into attack mode is so sudden.

Auston has a bit more size than Brock, and that helps him get into prime areas better, but I'd argue Brock has an even deadlier release.

From the hashmarks in it's like they both get blinders, where some players may opt for a backdoor pass, these two almost always think shot. More often than not, it's the right call.

I'm not suggesting Boeser will put up 40 as a rookie, Matthews is a very special player... but he comes from the same school of goalscoring where he knows if nobody takes it to the net, it's not getting there. He doesn't crash the crease like Bo, but he does take that extra step to get into a quality scoring position.

With his one-timer though, he's almost a hybrid of Matthews AND Laine. Again, those two are in a special league of young talents, but if Brock can put it all together, he could legitimately be in some kind of conversation with those guys, and potentially play along Auston for Team USA down the road. Huge upside with him, obviously.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, nergish said:

Umm ya... not the shot itself, but the drive to net. That switch into attack mode is so sudden.

Auston has a bit more size than Brock, and that helps him get into prime areas better, but I'd argue Brock has an even deadlier release.

From the hashmarks in it's like they both get blinders, where some players may opt for a backdoor pass, these two almost always think shot. More often than not, it's the right call.

I'm not suggesting Boeser will put up 40 as a rookie, Matthews is a very special player... but he comes from the same school of goalscoring where he knows if nobody takes it to the net, it's not getting there. He doesn't crash the crease like Bo, but he does take that extra step to get into a quality scoring position.

With his one-timer though, he's almost a hybrid of Matthews AND Laine. Again, those two are in a special league of young talents, but if Brock can put it all together, he could legitimately be in some kind of conversation with those guys, and potentially play along Auston for Team USA down the road. Huge upside with him, obviously.

I agree that they're both mainly shoot first players, but that's pretty much it. Mathews is a center, Boeser is a winger. Mathews' release is also pretty different than most I would say. His stick is fairly short and he applies a lot of downward force to bend his stick almost in half. Boeser's stick doesn't flex as much when he shoots, and he uses a relatively longer stick. Mathews' release is also quicker, although Boeser's could be a bit harder. 

Also, how often have people seen Boeser's one-timer? Cause I've only seen it on like the first 2 clips in his highlight video. I don't think that's enough to suggest that it'll be a major weapon for him. He seems like the type of player that would prefer to settle it down, look for the pass and then rip a wrist shot. His one-timer is obviously very good, I just don't know how often we'll see it. 

I swear, we could have drafted McDavid and this forum would have found some way to be incredibly cynical about his potential.

Boeser is going to be a beast and I would be absolutely amazed if he doesn't make the team this season or doesn't score at 20 goals this season.

Edited by BowtieCanuck
  • Upvote 3

On 7/21/2017 at 8:17 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

...here I will....they are both capable of the super quick release while looking not at the net shot....that actually hits the net.

Austin is a bit faster and has deadlier moves but Brock can make people look stupid as well.....

Brock will score 20+ goals this year unless he gets injured....and be a 30+ goal scorer from there on. 

I think he hits 22 this year and 28-30 next year and away we go....!!!!

Horvat was our first sure fire prospect in a decade....I could see that from his rookie pre-season onward....Brock is our second sure fire prospect but will be scoring even more goals than Bo's perennial 25-30 goals (this season onward).

....just watch...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tystick said:

I personally believe he has Calder potential.

If he works on his skating this summer, and then continues where he left off last season, yes, he will be in the running for the Calder. Doesn't look like he has any McDavid or even any Matthews or Laine to compete with this season. More like he is this year's Laine that the other rookies will be competing with.

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

If he works on his skating this summer,

Not "if" as Brock has already stated he's focussed on making big gains with his skating this summer. Improvements were already on display at development camp. Apparently he's contracted a skating coach. Add in his summer league play and some work in the weight room and I expect his skating to be significantly improved when he hits main camp.

18 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not "if" as Brock has already stated he's focussed on making big gains with his skating this summer. Improvements were already on display at development camp. Apparently he's contracted a skating coach. Add in his summer league play and some work in the weight room and I expect his skating to be significantly improved when he hits main camp.

Ok, fine. He will be in the running for the Calder. Lol.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well, I didn't mean to say we should just call the engraver and put his name on the Calder. Just that his skating should be a lot better than last season. :lol: 

Well, if his skating improves as much as Bo's did, I think we should at least call the engraver and get him started practicing spelling Brock's name. Lol.

I have seen his one timer, at prospects camp and in the games he has played both with the canucks and UND. it is deadly , and very much a go to weapon when the opportunity presents himself.

He is a good passer and has good vision, but he is defineatly a shoot first player

6 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

he is this year's Laine that the other rookies will be competing with.

He is a fine  prospect but he far from assured a spot in NHL this coming season let alone comparing him to a top 2 pick who scored at a rate not seen in a long while in the NHL for a rookie.  A successful season for BB would be to make the team and get into 55 to 65 games with 10 to 15 goals and as many assists.   That would be VERY good season for him.  Anything more is absolute gravy and, to be fair, a bit unrealistic to expect.   He looks capable, if his skating improves, to be a 25 and even 30ish goal scorer at NHL level which is pretty significant accomplishment.

• Upvote 1