The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

39 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He is a fine  prospect but he far from assured a spot in NHL this coming season let alone comparing him to a top 2 pick who scored at a rate not seen in a long while in the NHL for a rookie.  A successful season for BB would be to make the team and get into 55 to 65 games with 10 to 15 goals and as many assists.   That would be VERY good season for him.  Anything more is absolute gravy and, to be fair, a bit unrealistic to expect.   He looks capable, if his skating improves, to be a 25 and even 30ish goal scorer at NHL level which is pretty significant accomplishment.

I did say more like he is this year's Laine, and as you know this year's draft crop wasn't as rich at the top end as it was Laine's year. My guess is that 25 goals will take the rookie goal lead this season. I don't really expect him to score that many, I expect him to score 15 to 20. But it wouldn't really surprise me either. I think Brock has as good a chance of doing that as do any of his competition.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...here I will....they are both capable of the super quick release while looking not at the net shot....that actually hits the net.

Austin is a bit faster and has deadlier moves but Brock can make people look stupid as well.....

Brock will score 20+ goals this year unless he gets injured....and be a 30+ goal scorer from there on. 

I think he hits 22 this year and 28-30 next year and away we go....!!!!

Horvat was our first sure fire prospect in a decade....I could see that from his rookie pre-season onward....Brock is our second sure fire prospect but will be scoring even more goals than Bo's perennial 25-30 goals (this season onward).

....just watch...

Horvat wasn't exactly 'surefire'. They had him pencilled in as a 3C on the draft floor. He's blown the roof off his expectations already. It's been an absolute treat to watch him progress. Brock was known to be more dynamic offensively from the beginning.

9 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I agree that they're both mainly shoot first players, but that's pretty much it. Mathews is a center, Boeser is a winger. Mathews' release is also pretty different than most I would say. His stick is fairly short and he applies a lot of downward force to bend his stick almost in half. Boeser's stick doesn't flex as much when he shoots, and he uses a relatively longer stick. Mathews' release is also quicker, although Boeser's could be a bit harder. 

Also, how often have people seen Boeser's one-timer? Cause I've only seen it on like the first 2 clips in his highlight video. I don't think that's enough to suggest that it'll be a major weapon for him. He seems like the type of player that would prefer to settle it down, look for the pass and then rip a wrist shot. His one-timer is obviously very good, I just don't know how often we'll see it. 

My comparison to Matthews was strictly from the hashmarks in. Neither Auston nor Brock will force a play, but will take literally every opportunity they get with it. It's a rare gift.

A goalscorer's gift.

That's why Matthews was the best goalscorer of the '16 draft. He doesn't have the deluxe clapper like Laine, but he gets the job done by driving it home forcefully every time.

Here's hoping it all translates to the NHL for Boes, and sure, we'll look like babbling fools if it doesn't... but I just don't see those traits not equating to goals at the NHL level.

Yeah, Matthews does have a distinct style. Not disputing that. Again, I wasn't actually referring solely to the technique, but the application in realtime scenarios...

They play different positions, they are of different handedness... I was simply making a comparison to another young American-born player who stakes his claim around the net.

I don't think Brock has the patience to settle in one place waiting for a one-timer all shift, he's more interested in pursuing the puck, but if somebody's going to dish it to him, he will blast it home. Be prepared to see it become a "major weapon" on the Vancouver powerplay...

Edited by nergish
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, nergish said:

Horvat wasn't exactly 'surefire'. They had him pencilled in as a 3C on the draft floor. He's blown the roof off his expectations already. It's been an absolute treat to watch him progress. Brock was known to be more dynamic offensively from the beginning.

My comparison to Matthews was strictly from the hashmarks in. Neither Auston nor Brock will force a play, but will take literally every opportunity they get with it. It's a rare gift.

A goalscorer's gift.

That's why Matthews was the best goalscorer of the '16 draft. He doesn't have the deluxe clapper like Laine, but he gets the job done by driving it home forcefully every time.

Here's hoping it all translates to the NHL for Boes, and sure, we'll look like babbling fools if it doesn't... but I just don't see those traits not equating to goals at the NHL level.

Yeah, Matthews does have a distinct style. Not disputing that. Again, I wasn't actually referring solely to the technique, but the application in realtime scenarios...

They play different positions, they are of different handedness... I was simply making a comparison to another young American-born player who stakes his claim around the net.

I don't think Brock has the patience to settle in one place waiting for a one-timer all shift, he's more interested in pursuing the puck, but if somebody's going to dish it to him, he will blast it home. Be prepared to see it become a "major weapon" on the Vancouver powerplay...

I agree with pretty much everything you said. They both seem to find that soft spot in coverage in the prime scoring areas and have an innate ability to put the puck in the open spots. Of course it's easier for Mathews because of size mainly over Boeser, but that's why he was a 1st overall pick. 

Regarding his one-timer on the powerplay, I think he has a couple of adjustments to make before he can use it to its full potential. I think the main thing he needs to do is move more, he seemed too stationary to me last year. I don't think he can play it like Ovechkin yet as Boeser doesn't have people like Backstrom or Kuznetsov working the other team from the opposite side freeing up space for him. He did score a couple of goals on the powerplay, but I'd say one was a gift from the Sedins. He scored that goal because he moved into the open spot like they drew up, which is what he should be doing more.  They won't be around much longer to run the powerplay from the other side. 

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I would be shocked and upset.  I predict he sticks with the big club and is in Calder contention with at least 20 goals this year.

Agreed!  He might be perfect with the Twins, especially on the PP.

16 hours ago, nergish said:

A goalscorer's gift.

Bo was absolutely surefire in my book and I also think that there is no way they traded Schnied's if they thought Bo's ceiling was 3C......

Brock is more dynamic now but he is also coming into the league 2 years older than Bo did....so in my mind Brock is even more surefire to make the team....

...and outscore most of the rest of the team to boot....

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, nergish said:

Horvat wasn't exactly 'surefire'. They had him pencilled in as a 3C on the draft floor. He's blown the roof off his expectations already. It's been an absolute treat to watch him progress. Brock was known to be more dynamic offensively from the beginning. ....

Just for fun I went back and checked out the Canucks Army assessment of Horvat at the end of his draft+1 regular season (by Rhys Jessop). Here is a summary quote:

"Bo Horvat will, by all accounts, be an NHL player. He’s a very good CHL’er and possesses a skill set that is fawned over by NHL GMs. When prognosticating these sorts of things, though, we need to evaluate what the most likely outcome is moving forward. For Horvat, the most likely route his career takes sees him topping out as a decent 3rd line C, scoring in the mid-40s in points just once or twice,"

That assessment is obviously a long way off the mark, but I think it was widely held at the time. On CDC most people were more positive (of course) given normal home bias but even on CDC I think that the standard opinion was that being a good 2C who can also play PK, play shutdown, and take key faceoffs was the top end of his likely range. He has already hit or exceeded that "top end". Have to give some credit to Gillis for that pick.

As for Boeser, we have to remember that there is still a fair amount of uncertainty, but he is a high skill player with a lot of character. And, based on league conversion numbers, a guy who did as well as he did in his first two seasons in the NCAA should be able to successfully go straight to the NHL. And he looked good with the Canucks at the end of last year. Not sure where he plays but, like a lot of people, I would like to see him get a long look with the Horvat and Baertschi on what would be the de facto first line.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

That assessment is obviously a long way off the mark, but I think it was widely held at the time. On CDC most people were more positive (of course) given normal home bias but even on CDC I think that the standard opinion was that being a good 2C who can also play PK, play shutdown, and take key faceoffs was the top end of his likely range. He has already hit or exceeded that "top end". Have to give some credit to Gillis for that pick.

Uh...no, he hasn't. That is pretty much where he sits now. In fact, Horvat is probably an average 2C right now. And his PK numbers have been atrocious.

He has a lot to prove before being considered an NHL 1C, let alone a good one. But he's young and developing, so he could get there.

Edited by D-Money

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Bo was absolutely surefire in my book and I also think that there is no way they traded Schnied's if they thought Bo's ceiling was 3C......

Brock is more dynamic now but he is also coming into the league 2 years older than Bo did....so in my mind Brock is even more surefire to make the team....

...and outscore most of the rest of the team to boot....

Yeah, I agree that Gillis had much higher hopes for Bo than the TSN analysts. He saw something in the kid that went beyond his obvious traits (leadership, maturity, no glaring weakness, size) and knew his offensive game just hadn't been tapped into yet. 

Remember, Pierre McGuire for example was raving about the Horvat pick but still thought Schneids was worth MORE.

• Upvote 1

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/28/tsp-vancouver-canucks-prospects/

Top Prospect: Brock Boeser

Right Wing — shoots Right
Born February 25 1997 — Burnsville, Minnesota
Height 6’1″ — Weight 191 lbs [185 cm / 87 kg]
Drafted by the Vancouver Canucks, in the 1st Round, 23rd Overall at the 2015 NHL Draft

Boeser, had another strong season at North Dakota, even with both of his 2015-16 linemates no longer on the team and playing in the NHL. He emerged as a team leader as a sophomore and had 16 goals and 34 points in 32 games. When the season was done he signed in Vancouver, and scored four goals and one assist in nine games.

Skating

Brock Boeser has very good top end speed. He has worked to improve his first few steps and acceleration recently. His start up is a little choppy and if he can make it a bit smoother he could really improve this area of his game. He has made strides in this area since joining North Dakota, but there are still a few more refinements to make. Its not a liability, but is an area that can still use some small improvements. Boeser has good agility, and the edge work to make quick cuts on defenders. His balance and power are very good at the college level and allow him to fight through checks; but again a little more lower body strength is needed before he goes pro.

Offensive Game

Brock Boeser is a pure sniper who has a tremendous one-timer. He also has a hard wrist shot with a hair trigger release. He has the hockey sense and ability to find holes in the opposing defence and set himself up for a shot. A good skater and puck handler, Boeser also has the ability to create openings for himself or others. He can also be a play maker, with good vision and solid passing skill.

Over the last two years Boeser has added muscle on his frame. He can still get even stronger though. This would make him even more effective in the corners and in front of the net. He doesn’t show fear to go to dirty areas right now, but he could simply win more battles at the NHL leviel with more core strength. Boeser has a low centre of gravity and cycles the puck well now, but should be even better in time if he can add that muscle. He forechecks hard and can punish defencemen in the corners with hits if they don’t move the puck quickly. Boeser also has the soft hands necessary to finish plays in close to the net.

Defensive Game

Brock Boeser’s defensive game is inconsistent. At times he looks very strong, with strong backchecking, good positioning and the active stick to break up plays and start the transition game. He gets involved in board battles and shows a willingness to put his body on the line to block shots. At other times, he gets caught puck watching and cheating for the long stretch pass through the neutral zone. The talent to play a two-way games is there. It is hoped that he will become more consistent with added maturity.

Outlook

Expect to see Boeser make the Canucks out of camp. He could have a big season, and even be in the conversation for the Calder Trophy. Boeser is looking like a late first round steal.

• Upvote 2

If BB is such a lock for the big club, why is he playing in the young stars tournament?

The expectations and pressure that fans and media are putting on this kid are not good for his development, imo.

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

If BB is such a lock for the big club, why is he playing in the young stars tournament?

The expectations and pressure that fans and media are putting on this kid are not good for his development, imo.

My guess is because he's a young star :P

I hear what you're saying... but I'd also wager if there was Vegas odds on the prospect most likely to make the Canucks this fall, Brock would be well in the lead there and for good reason. He looks to be a pretty special player in the not distant future and didn't look out of place at this level in his (granted, short) try-out last spring.

He also plays for Vancouver, he's going to have to deal with fan/media pressure regardless of where he plays (Van/Utica). Thankfully he appears to have the level demeanor suited to playing in our city fishbowl. 

I'm personally fine with him playing in either city but I will be a bit surprised if he doesn't start here. It's certainly not impossible though given the signings we've made this summer and it wouldn't be the 'horrible' situation many on here will certainly make it out to be if he is sent down.

Something like...

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Gagner

Chaput, Sutter, Granlund

Gaunce, Burmistrov, Dorsett

Rodin/Boucher

...nary a prospect in sight :shock: :lol: 

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

If McJesus can play in this tournament, then Brock can. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

My guess is because he's a young star :P

I hear what you're saying... but I'd also wager if there was Vegas odds on the prospect most likely to make the Canucks this fall, Brock would be well in the lead there and for good reason. He looks to be a pretty special player in the not distant future and didn't look out of place at this level in his (granted, short) try-out last spring.

He also plays for Vancouver, he's going to have to deal with fan/media pressure regardless of where he plays (Van/Utica). Thankfully he appears to have the level demeanor suited to playing in our city fishbowl. 

I'm personally fine with him playing in either city but I will be a bit surprised if he doesn't start here. It's certainly not impossible though given the signings we've made this summer and it wouldn't be the 'horrible' situation many on here will certainly make it out to be if he is sent down.

Something like...

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Gagner

Chaput, Sutter, Granlund

Gaunce, Burmistrov, Dorsett

Rodin/Boucher

...nary a prospect in sight :shock: :lol: 

To me, that's a good thing.

Just now, stawns said:

To me, that's a good thing.

It's neither good, nor bad IMO. It would just 'be'.

Either he's (or others) good enough to make the club (yay!) or he (they) aren't quite there yet and need more development. In which case Utica's all the better and we have them available as quality depth who will get their opportunity in due time, as they become ready.

^^^ True patience for the rebuild.

21 minutes ago, J.R. said:

It's neither good, nor bad IMO. It would just 'be'.

Either he's (or others) good enough to make the club (yay!) or he (they) aren't quite there yet and need more development. In which case Utica's all the better and we have them available as quality depth who will get their opportunity in due time, as they become ready.

^^^ True patience for the rebuild.

True patience for the rebuild is starting prospects in the minors unless it's obvious they are game changers at the NHL level.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

True patience for the rebuild is starting prospects in the minors unless it's obvious they are game changers at the NHL level.

Totally agree and that is why I suspect the waiver exempt prospects will start in Utica unless they are lites out in camp. That gives Green some time to access the waiver eligble players and decisions made. If BB plays 30 -40 AHL games there is absolutely no problem with that. IMO the whole exercise is about what this team looks like in 5 years not the coming year. 

• Upvote 1