The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

27 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

My point is no prospect is above or better than the Young Stars Tourney. Why do you think Brock gets an exception? I am sure he doesn't mind the extra play time at all. 

I think you didn't read my post.  

I'm all for him playing and believe there's a strong chance that he starts in Utica.  My post was a comment on all the people who have him as a 100% lock to be in the Canucks lineup opening night.

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree and that is why I suspect the waiver exempt prospects will start in Utica unless they are lites out in camp. That gives Green some time to access the waiver eligble players and decisions made. If BB plays 30 -40 AHL games there is absolutely no problem with that. IMO the whole exercise is about what this team looks like in 5 years not the coming year. 

Could not possibly agree more.  Why would JB sign guys and then expose them to waivers out of camp when he can send young guys down without waivers.  To say nothing about making prospects paying their due.

Edited by stawns

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think you didn't read my post.  

I'm all for him playing and believe there's a strong chance that he starts in Utica.  My post was a comment on all the people who have him as a 100% lock to be in the Canucks lineup opening night.

Yes, I did - maybe I don't understand why him being a lock for the roster has anything to do with him playing in the Young Stars tournament. I think they are two separate things. Wasn't that your question? 

23 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

:picard:

Goodness HW, don't take everything so literally...you're like a dog with a bone with these things. I said what 'could' be, not what 'will' be. I can't wait for you to 'Higgins' this for the next 2 years :rolleyes: But nobody should be simply assuming Boeser, or anyone else on the bubble, is on the team.

And FWIW, Chaput showed himself to be a very capable, bottom 6 player who can win draws, drive possession and generally play that role well at this level. Though I'd wager he'd push out a player like Gaunce or Burmistrov, long before Boeser in reality. But I'd not be remotely surprised to see him on the team.

As for Boucher, I believe it will be between him and Rodin for 13th forward. They're not going to have a promising kid sitting in the press box when they can be playing down in Utica. Whichever of the two doesn't earn that spot gets waived and is either picked up, or available depth/'veteran' skill in Utica.

If I had to make a guess on what 'will' be:

Sedin, Sedin, Gagner (offensively sheltered party!)

Baer, Horvat, Boeser

Granlund, Sutter, Eriksson (though IMO I'd prefer not 'wasting' Granlund/Eriksson with Sutter and prefer to have him in a match up role...but I digress)

and some mix of: Gaunce, Chaput, Burmistrov, Dorsett on the 4th

one of Rodin/Boucher as spare/13th.

Edited by J.R.

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Goodness HW, don't take everything so literally...you're like a dog with a bone with these things. I said what 'could' be, not what 'will' be. I can't wait for you to 'Higgins' this for the next 2 years :rolleyes: But nobody should be simply assuming Boeser, or anyone else on the bubble, is on the team.

And FWIW, Chaput showed himself to be a very capable, bottom 6 player who can win draws, drive possession and generally play that role well at this level. Though I'd wager he'd push out a player like Gaunce or Burmistrov, long before Boeser in reality. But I'd not be remotely surprised to see him on the team.

As for Boucher, I believe it will be between him and Rodin for 13th forward. They're not going to have a promising kid sitting in the press box when they can be playing down in Utica. Whichever of the two doesn't earn that spot gets waived and is either picked up, or available depth/'veteran' skill in Utica.

If I had to make a guess on what 'will' be:

Sedin, Sedin, Gagner (offensively sheltered party!)

Baer, Horvat, Boeser

Granlund, Sutter, Eriksson (though IMO I'd prefer not 'wasting' Granlund/Eriksson with Sutter and prefer to have him in a match up role...but I digress)

and some mix of: Gaunce, Chaput, Burmistrov, Dorsett on the 4th

one of Rodin/Boucher as spare/13th.

I am still of the opinion that Rodin will surprise you guys and be more deserving of a spot on any line than Chaput, Gaunce, Burmistrov or Eriksson and maybe even Gagner (who I suspect will be much weaker on D. than Rodin)

It may take some time....until Green gives up on Eriksson or there is an injury but Rodin will be moving up the roster and can start on the 4th line if need be.

....Rodin is simply better than Eriksson in most every way... and certainly better than Chaput and Boucher....too much there to keep him down.

• Upvote 1

Yes, we all know you would put Higgins on the second line ahead of Boeser if he were still with the team.

I'll spell it out for you.  Right now Boeser is the crown jewel of NHL-ready prospects for this team; they showed that with the way he was brought in last year.  Short of massive injuries or Boucher suddenly becoming something he's never shown, there is absolutely NO WAY he makes this team ahead of Boeser, not for any conceivable reason.  Same goes for Chaput, short of a C like Gaunce or Sutter being out.  This isn't about "tempered expectations" it's about reality.  Virtanen and Goldobin sure, they're on the bubble, but simply put, outside of him falling flat on his face there is no way Boeser does not make the team out of pre-season.  Save the aforementioned injuries, by the start of the season Boucher and Chaput will be in the minors or with other teams.

Boucher is less an NHL player than Boeser by any metric, even with only 9GP.  What's next, Subban makes the team ahead of Stecher so he can go to Utica to develop further?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I am still of the opinion that Rodin will surprise you guys and be more deserving of a spot on any line than Chaput, Gaunce, Burmistrov or Eriksson and maybe even Gagner (who I suspect will be much weaker on D. than Rodin)

It may take some time....until Green gives up on Eriksson or there is an injury but Rodin will be moving up the roster and can start on the 4th line if need be.

....Rodin is simply better than Eriksson in most every way... and certainly better than Chaput and Boucher....too much there to keep him down.

I don't disagree on Rodin. I think if he can ever get his feet under him and stay healthy, there's definitely a player there. But yes, it will likely require an injury etc to get him in there.

Though he's not going to force out a Chaput/Gaunce/Burmistrov (or Eriksson) etc. If anything he'll make trading Baer easier. Then he either slots in for Baer or Granlund moves to Baer's slot and Rodin takes Granlund's.

23 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yes, we all know you would put Higgins on the second line ahead of Boeser if he were still with the team.

I'll spell it out for you.  Right now Boeser is the crown jewel of NHL-ready prospects for this team; they showed that with the way he was brought in last year.  Short of massive injuries or Boucher suddenly becoming something he's never shown, there is absolutely NO WAY he makes this team ahead of Boeser, not for any conceivable reason.  Same goes for Chaput, short of a C like Gaunce or Sutter being out.  This isn't about "tempered expectations" it's about reality.  Virtanen and Goldobin sure, they're on the bubble, but simply put, outside of him falling flat on his face there is no way Boeser does not make the team out of pre-season.  Save the aforementioned injuries, by the start of the season Boucher and Chaput will be in the minors or with other teams.

Boucher is less an NHL player than Boeser by any metric, even with only 9GP.  What's next, Subban makes the team ahead of Stecher so he can go to Utica to develop further?

No we don't 'all know' that. Your frankly not being intellectually honest with silly remarks like that.

Let me spell THIS out for you:

Boeser is not competing with Chaput.

Gaunce, Burmistrov etc are.

Boeser is also not competing with Boucher for 13th forward. If Boeser's only good enough to be 13th forward this fall, he'll be in Utica with Boucher (more likely Rodin) eating popcorn in the press box 'ahead' :rolleyes: of him.

I highly doubt that will be the case.

Edited by J.R.

23 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Eriksson has racked up 580 points in just shy of 800 NHL games while playing a solid defensive game. He had a down year last year, but twice is his career has passed 30 goals and more often then not scores 20+. Rodin has 1 NHL point, and 3 good seasons in a lesser league. While I agree Rodin has a ton of potential to be a good player, I think it's pretty crazy to say he is better then Eriksson is most every way. I'm not even entirely confident he will be able to recover from his knee injury, since he has shown no sign of a real recovery so far.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Could not possibly agree more.  Why would JB sign guys and then expose them to waivers out of camp when he can send young guys down without waivers.

Some folks on CDC don't understand that making space for a young guy who proved himself isn't the same as forfeiting all our depth at that position.  Same guys who complain about depth while ignoring we regularly lead the league in injuries.  Can't make them happy.

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

Eriksson has racked up 580 points in just shy of 800 NHL games while playing a solid defensive game. He had a down year last year, but twice is his career has passed 30 goals and more often then not scores 20+. Rodin has 1 NHL point, and 3 good seasons in a lesser league. While I agree Rodin has a ton of potential to be a good player, I think it's pretty crazy to say he is better then Eriksson is most every way. I'm not even entirely confident he will be able to recover from his knee injury, since he has shown no sign of a real recovery so far.

....ya, I know what Eriksson has done before...I am just using my eyes from the bits I have seen of him before he was a Canuck, but mostly watching him this past year.

Eriksson has lost a step or 2 and he was never a flash, his hockey sense was good...but slow to process the thoughts for today's fast paced game, he didn't work on any line he was put on and in fact made Horvat's line useless...literally useless.  Bo would be "looking" for him to much and he just generally muddled up the line.

I think I have seen enough of Rodin to know what he is....we shall see...I think he is faster, smarter, better on D., way better at stealing pucks, more accurate shot, quicker release AND is a much better passer.

....all Eriksson has over Rodin is size but he's not really big enough to take the pounding in front of the net which seems to be the only place he can score from now....

....Please prove me wrong Eriksson.....Please stay healthy enough to prove me right Rodin....

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Holy smokes @Hutton Wink and @J.R. in a battle....wow.  Who is going to vaporize first?!?!?:frantic:

of course the real pissing match only starts and ends with @oldnews.

B)

It's fine to be conservative, but not at the expense of reality.  I think he's still recovering from the Higgy-trauma of years gone by, poor feller...

9 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...Crap...I forgot I was in the Boeser  thread...

Brock is a lock

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I don't see Rodin not being in the top 9, most likely with Baer and Bo

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

I'm offering "hugs for higgy"

HW just has trouble understanding the difference between understanding a coach's motivation for playing certain players 'up' on the roster doesn't equate one with actually 'wanting' them there.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Wut??

• Upvote 3