The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I know it's a beer league for pros but damn, slicker than *** on a gold tooth.

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure that's Alex Stalock in goal, one of the better goalies in this league. He made an unreal save in a previous game, should check it out.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Boudrias said:

For sure there are lots of criteria that go into assessment. Also consider the span of a season over 5 1/2 months. To some extent I think fans might be shocked at Green's approach. I see a lot more patience out of Green than Desjardin. Not saying this as a critic of either coach as their imperatives will be different. Green knows that he has talent coming and likely more being drafted in 2018. Green has always developed his teams over the span of a season which means he was patient. With less pressure on making assessment decisions I can see Green playing his waiver prospects longer. I also suspect that Green will advocate for the benefits of AHL experience for the younger prospects.

If as I suspect the season is mediocre at best on the standings side the preference for the org might be a positive season in Utica and a patient game in Vancouver. Ideally that would be my preference as well. Start rotating the younger prospects through Vancouver in February and let the chips fall where they may for the Canucks.    

Agree about your comments on the coaches.  They do have a different approach and that is the simple answer as to why Willie is coaching Team Canada; win now.  

I think we know this is not a "chips fall where they may" organization (is your real name Tony Gallagher? :lol:)  It's a put players in a position to succeed and earn your ice time from there organization.

Also, I would say, competition is a great opportunity to assess players

Edited by Crabcakes

On 7/20/2017 at 5:01 PM, Hortankin said:

Last year was luck IMO.. if he starts in the NHL (and that's a BIG if) he probably won't hit 20. Hopefully he proves me wrong buti doubt it as a huge % of prospects never acheive their potential

that's my CDC politically correct answer.. need to fit in around here.. beingto positive is trolling.. who knew?

I wished I had a ban hammer.

• Upvote 1

If BB doesn't make the Canucks and is in Utica to start the year. Then does he make team USA for the Olympics?

I personally think he should play in Utica this year, at least until the new year if not the whole season. 

As for the Olympics, I could care less about team USA, or any other team other than Canada. However if BB was to make the USA squad, I would attempt to watch some of there games as well. I think it would be an excellent development opportunity for Brock. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Brock will be in the running for the Calder....he can't do that from Utica.....Brocks a lock....Brocks lock's are a lock....Brocks lock is a deadbolt.

....there is no way he plays in Utica this year....short of an injury and then conditioning assignment....

the idea we could have a player in the calder conversation even as a distant possiblity is really a nice feeling.

i long for the days of superstar snipers.  this influx of talent has really made me feel good about our future.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2017 at 8:49 AM, stawns said:

If BB is such a lock for the big club, why is he playing in the young stars tournament?

The expectations and pressure that fans and media are putting on this kid are not good for his development, imo.

I remember hearing kids like Kole Lind in interviews speaking about how great of a role model was and how helpful it was for them to just watch how he conducted himself both on and off the ice. I think the idea was to show the kids what kind of effort it takes to make it to the next level. Brock was head and shoulders above pretty much everyone there and for a freshly drafted prospect to see someone barely 3 years older than you pretty much ready to make the show...

I think it was more of a motivational factor for the younger guys and perhaps some leadership training for Brock.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, John McClane said:

If BB doesn't make the Canucks and is in Utica to start the year. Then does he make team USA for the Olympics?

I personally think he should play in Utica this year, at least until the new year if not the whole season. 

As for the Olympics, I could care less about team USA, or any other team other than Canada. However if BB was to make the USA squad, I would attempt to watch some of there games as well. I think it would be an excellent development opportunity for Brock. 

I don't think Brock is eligible for Olympics because he still has an NHL contract.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, John McClane said:

I really hope Brock goes to the "A" for one season just to be sure he's ready. 

The Canucks have unanswered questions that need to be dealt with before bringing in more youth. 

Let Brock go to a situation that carries a lot of promise for success. Utica should have a strong roster for the upcoming season and Brock definitely makes them better. Let him grow more in a positive situation, rather than the chaotic season, I think, the Canucks are going to have this year.

He could have great influence on someone like Dahlen, should he go to Utica. Put Gaudette in the middle and I see a lethal top line.

The AHL makes a lot of sense for him.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

I really hope Brock goes to the "A" for one season just to be sure he's ready. 

The Canucks have unanswered questions that need to be dealt with before bringing in more youth. 

Let Brock go to a situation that carries a lot of promise for success. Utica should have a strong roster for the upcoming season and Brock definitely makes them better. Let him grow more in a positive situation, rather than the chaotic season, I think, the Canucks are going to have this year.

He could have great influence on someone like Dahlen, should he go to Utica. Put Gaudette in the middle and I see a lethal top line.

The AHL makes a lot of sense for him.

Gaudette is still in college....Dahlen will likely be in Sweden...Brock will be in the running for the Calder....so it is similar to saying Lainne (sp.) should have been in the "A" last season "to be sure he's ready"

Brock is 20 years old now and ready to be a star.

....just watch....

24 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Gaudette is still in college....Dahlen will likely be in Sweden...Brock will be in the running for the Calder....so it is similar to saying Lainne (sp.) should have been in the "A" last season "to be sure he's ready"

....just watch....

I disagree. Two totally different situations.

Lainne went into an, already, up trending situation and was, clearly, ready for the next step.

My mention of Gaudette was merely an example of what I'd like to see and, I do believe, I said, "should he go to Utica", referring to the possibility that Dahlen is not a sure thing for the AHL. 

Brock's professional career consists of 9 games and you have him being a star already. I want to see him over a 76 game AHL season to see how consistent he is over a long stretch and possibly playoffs.

I need, only point out Virtanen's situation, to remind people of the negatives of rushing a prospect before they're, truly ready.

I would've said the same thing about Horvat. He worked out but I still think it was a risky, unessessary move that could've went the other way. Imo, management rushed him too but got lucky.

It is, also my opinion that Vancouver will not be playing for anything other than another high draft pick again. So letting him mature a little more in the AHL next season will not hurt. As was stated, I feel the upcoming season would be better spent weeding out the expendables and making room for a more streamlined, directed line up without the log jam of confusion there is now.

This is not a positive situation for him to come into and I'd rather make sure he's ready.

Edited by komodo0921

38 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

I disagree. Two totally different situations.

You disagree, yet, your entire post is littered with inaccuracies. Gaudette and Dahlen won't be playing in Utica this year. Most of Vancouver's top prospect depth is still in junior or overseas and Travis Green is gone, so there's no reason to suspect that Utica is going to be all that much better than they were last season. Thinking he should be stuck in the minors to mentor other players, when he's never even played pro hockey himself, or to over-ripen him is not the solution.

When a prospect is ready, they're ready. Brock has proven he's ready. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

....just watch....

Did you just compare BB to Laine?  There's some serious stretches in this thread, but that one is out there.  Why not McDavid?