The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

With no generational talents in the fray this time, it’s a more wide-open Calder field than we’ve seen in several seasons.

The question I’ve been asked most this summer: “Who will win the Calder Trophy?”

Our readers and my fellow pundits seem particularly fascinated with the 2017-18 rookie class. That’s an ironic sentiment for what, on paper, is the least fascinating field in years.

But that’s just it. No one knows what to expect. The 2015 draft yielded Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel. The 2016 draft gave us Auston Matthews and Patrik Laine. The 2017 draft class provided some talented kids at the top in Nico Hischier and Nolan Patrick, but their ceilings aren’t nearly as high. There’s a decent chance the league’s best rookies in 2017-18 are older kids drafted before 2017. Who are the top candidates? Keep an eye on these 10 names. But remember, some of them could wind up not making their teams this year. Think of the list as “best chance to win the Calder – if they do make the team.”

1. Clayton Keller, C, Arizona Coyotes

The Derek Stepan acquisition doesn’t scare me away nor does the presence of Dylan Strome or Christian Dvorak in Arizona. You can’t keep Keller’s shifty, dynamic talent down. Whether he ends up playing center or gets shoehorned into a wing spot this year to ensure he plays on a scoring line, Keller should get a major opportunity. He has the upside to become a Patrick-Kane-like scorer. He’s my pick to lead rookies in points this season and win the Calder. That said, in a relatively modest year for freshmen, I see something like 55 points pacing the class.

2. Charlie McAvoy, D, Boston Bruins

That the Bruins could toss McAvoy right into playoff action to make his NHL debut on a pair with Zdeno Chara says a lot about how much they need and value McAvoy. He’s a gifted offensive player and a real leader, too. His coach at Boston University, David Quinn, told me everyone on the team worshipped McAvoy. He has a bright NHL future and has the poise and swagger to handle big minutes and pressure right away. He’s my pick to lead all rookies in ice time.

3. Nico Hischier, C, New Jersey Devils

The bigger, stronger Patrick was deemed the more NHL-ready draft prospect by most scouts, but Hischier possesses the niftier offensive skill set and landed on a team that needs him more right away. Patrick will have a tough time cracking Philly’s top two lines, whereas Hischier could realistically start the year centering the Devils’ top line with Taylor Hall riding shotgun. It’ll depend on what Hischier shows in camp and the pre-season.

4. Joel Eriksson Ek, C, Minnesota Wild

There’s no more polished rookie in 2017-18 than Eriksson Ek, a two-way center who was good enough to amass seven points in 15 games last year. He spent most of the year back in Sweden because Minnesota wanted him to play more minutes. With Erik Haula and Martin Hanzal gone, Eriksson Ek has a chance to step right in as the Wild’s No. 3 center this year. Some rookie forwards have the skill sets that only allow them to play “scoring line or bust,” but not Eriksson Ek. He has nice scoring ability but can also play a defensive role. He should earn Bruce Boudreau’s trust quicker than most rookies do. He’s less of a “sexy” Calder pick than most but is probably the safest bet to finish top-five in voting.

5. Thomas Chabot, D, Ottawa Senators

Chabot isn’t a guarantee to crack the Senators this season, but Marc Methot’s departure helps. Yes, the Senators added left-shot Johnny Oduya, but he’ll be 36 when the season starts. Chabot can force the issue with a strong camp. He’s built to be a true horse on defense, capable of chewing up massive minutes while providing nice mobility and puck-moving acumen. Chabot had a monster 2016-17, winning MVP at the world juniors with Team Canada and reaching the Memorial Cup with QMJHL Saint John.

6. Nolan Patrick, C, Philadelphia Flyers

Patrick lands in a tougher situation than some of the other rookies on this list. There’s no way he unseats Claude Giroux for No. 1 center duties, and even if Sean Couturier is listed as a No. 3, his role is major and secure. He’ll play a lot. The Flyers thus don’t have to rush Patrick into a high-leverage gig right away. More concerning are Patrick’s multiple off-season abdominal surgeries, which kept him off the ice into the summer. Ideally, a teenage rookie gets to put hard work in all off-season in hopes of getting his body ready to compete against grown men in the NHL. Patrick had some of that time stolen from him.

7. Brock Boeser, RW, Vancouver Canucks

Don’t sleep on Boeser. He arrived in Vancouver late last season with NHL-ready polish, joining the Canucks after a great college career at North Dakota. Boeser scored four goals in nine games. He doesn’t have stiff competition for playing time on a rebuilding Canucks team. He’s a legit threat to lead Vancouver in goals as a rookie.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

With no generational talents in the fray this time, it’s a more wide-open Calder field than we’ve seen in several seasons.

The question I’ve been asked most this summer: “Who will win the Calder Trophy?”

Our readers and my fellow pundits seem particularly fascinated with the 2017-18 rookie class. That’s an ironic sentiment for what, on paper, is the least fascinating field in years.

But that’s just it. No one knows what to expect. The 2015 draft yielded Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel. The 2016 draft gave us Auston Matthews and Patrik Laine. The 2017 draft class provided some talented kids at the top in Nico Hischier and Nolan Patrick, but their ceilings aren’t nearly as high. There’s a decent chance the league’s best rookies in 2017-18 are older kids drafted before 2017. Who are the top candidates? Keep an eye on these 10 names. But remember, some of them could wind up not making their teams this year. Think of the list as “best chance to win the Calder – if they do make the team.”

1. Clayton Keller, C, Arizona Coyotes

The Derek Stepan acquisition doesn’t scare me away nor does the presence of Dylan Strome or Christian Dvorak in Arizona. You can’t keep Keller’s shifty, dynamic talent down. Whether he ends up playing center or gets shoehorned into a wing spot this year to ensure he plays on a scoring line, Keller should get a major opportunity. He has the upside to become a Patrick-Kane-like scorer. He’s my pick to lead rookies in points this season and win the Calder. That said, in a relatively modest year for freshmen, I see something like 55 points pacing the class.

2. Charlie McAvoy, D, Boston Bruins

That the Bruins could toss McAvoy right into playoff action to make his NHL debut on a pair with Zdeno Chara says a lot about how much they need and value McAvoy. He’s a gifted offensive player and a real leader, too. His coach at Boston University, David Quinn, told me everyone on the team worshipped McAvoy. He has a bright NHL future and has the poise and swagger to handle big minutes and pressure right away. He’s my pick to lead all rookies in ice time.

3. Nico Hischier, C, New Jersey Devils

The bigger, stronger Patrick was deemed the more NHL-ready draft prospect by most scouts, but Hischier possesses the niftier offensive skill set and landed on a team that needs him more right away. Patrick will have a tough time cracking Philly’s top two lines, whereas Hischier could realistically start the year centering the Devils’ top line with Taylor Hall riding shotgun. It’ll depend on what Hischier shows in camp and the pre-season.

4. Joel Eriksson Ek, C, Minnesota Wild

There’s no more polished rookie in 2017-18 than Eriksson Ek, a two-way center who was good enough to amass seven points in 15 games last year. He spent most of the year back in Sweden because Minnesota wanted him to play more minutes. With Erik Haula and Martin Hanzal gone, Eriksson Ek has a chance to step right in as the Wild’s No. 3 center this year. Some rookie forwards have the skill sets that only allow them to play “scoring line or bust,” but not Eriksson Ek. He has nice scoring ability but can also play a defensive role. He should earn Bruce Boudreau’s trust quicker than most rookies do. He’s less of a “sexy” Calder pick than most but is probably the safest bet to finish top-five in voting.

5. Thomas Chabot, D, Ottawa Senators

Chabot isn’t a guarantee to crack the Senators this season, but Marc Methot’s departure helps. Yes, the Senators added left-shot Johnny Oduya, but he’ll be 36 when the season starts. Chabot can force the issue with a strong camp. He’s built to be a true horse on defense, capable of chewing up massive minutes while providing nice mobility and puck-moving acumen. Chabot had a monster 2016-17, winning MVP at the world juniors with Team Canada and reaching the Memorial Cup with QMJHL Saint John.

6. Nolan Patrick, C, Philadelphia Flyers

Patrick lands in a tougher situation than some of the other rookies on this list. There’s no way he unseats Claude Giroux for No. 1 center duties, and even if Sean Couturier is listed as a No. 3, his role is major and secure. He’ll play a lot. The Flyers thus don’t have to rush Patrick into a high-leverage gig right away. More concerning are Patrick’s multiple off-season abdominal surgeries, which kept him off the ice into the summer. Ideally, a teenage rookie gets to put hard work in all off-season in hopes of getting his body ready to compete against grown men in the NHL. Patrick had some of that time stolen from him.

7. Brock Boeser, RW, Vancouver Canucks

Don’t sleep on Boeser. He arrived in Vancouver late last season with NHL-ready polish, joining the Canucks after a great college career at North Dakota. Boeser scored four goals in nine games. He doesn’t have stiff competition for playing time on a rebuilding Canucks team. He’s a legit threat to lead Vancouver in goals as a rookie.

What about:

Pool Party, good chance he takes Eberle's spot in the top 6

• Upvote 1

https://www.nhl.com/news/brock-boeser-hoping-to-build-on-start-with-vancouver-canucks/c-290538820

Boeser hoping to build on start with Canucks

Forward prospect learning from veterans after scoring five points in nine games last season

cut.jpg

VANCOUVER -- Vancouver Canucks forward Brock Boeser had an NHL debut to remember late last season, but that doesn't mean he has arrived for good.

Less than 24 hours after his college season with the University of North Dakota ended with a loss to Boston University in the NCAA championship, Boeser signed an entry-level contract with the Canucks and played his first NHL game in front of a large group of family and friends in his home state, scoring the winning goal in a 4-2 victory at the Minnesota Wild on March 25.

Boeser, 20, finished with five points (four goals, one assist) in nine NHL games, but he has not earned a roster spot for this season. That point was reinforced by the fact the Canucks had him attend a third straight development camp.

"I think that's the right thing to do," Boeser said. "I'm still a rookie and a prospect."

Boeser had good chemistry on the second line with Bo Horvat and Sven Baertschi during those nine games and displayed a nice finishing touch on a power-play unit with Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin, scoring two goals. But if his presence at development camp wasn't enough proof that Boeser needs to earn a spot, the additions of free agent forwards Sam Gagner and Alexander Burmistrov, and the re-signing of Anton Rodin, were other indicators that the 20-year-old has work to do.

"I think it's going to be really competitive," Boeser said. "Just signing those guys turns things up another notch."

Director of player development Ryan Johnson said he has seen some differences in Boeser, who was selected by Vancouver with the No. 23 pick in the 2015 NHL Draft.

"The way he is carrying himself, his demeanor, his intensity from drill to drill, he has a professional way about him now," Johnson said. "Whereas last year maybe [he was] just getting through things, everything he does now has a purpose to it. … He realizes how hard things are going to be (at training camp) in September, a lot of competition, so he's doing things the right way to put himself in a good spot."

The right wing (6-foot-1, 191 pounds) stayed in Vancouver for an extra week after development camp to work out with Canucks veterans, who last season showed him a lot about how to prepare.

"What it takes to be an everyday NHLer, how in shape they are, and how they take care of their bodies and the way they eat," Boeser said. "Just watching those guys do all those things taught me a lot."

Boeser has skated with a handful of NHL players the past two summers, including Washington Capitals right wing T.J. Oshie, Wild left wing Zach Parise and New York Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh. In the past, Boeser simply skated at the same time they did, but this summer he planned to work out with them.

Boeser, who broke Parise's freshman record at North Dakota with 27 goals two seasons ago, expected it would be different being around them as a fellow NHL player.

"It's a daily routine thing now," Boeser said. "It's a job. I've gotten to know those guys a little bit over the past summer or two, but now I am really a lot closer with them."

I think Boeser will make the club right out the gates and won't have much problems producing points.  He has that scorers instinct and knows where to go to shoot the puck.  I can only hope that Edler fricken passes to him on the power play, (Boeser looks like he can release a wicked slapshot from the left slot), or if that keeps happening then hope Coach switches him with Hutton or Stecher.

34 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

I think Boeser will make the club right out the gates and won't have much problems producing points.  He has that scorers instinct and knows where to go to shoot the puck.  I can only hope that Edler fricken passes to him on the power play, (Boeser looks like he can release a wicked slapshot from the left slot), or if that keeps happening then hope Coach switches him with Hutton or Stecher.

We can only hope that Baer-Bo-Boeser become the defacto #1 line on the Canucks this year. If the Twins do not recover their ppg's then that is how it plays out. The challenge then becomes how well this line will do against the #1 checking lines of competitors. A whole new learning curve of intensity. It will be a great reminder to fans that this is a rebuilding team and years away from strong contention. 

• Upvote 1

I think he's going to be solid top 6 player.

I hope he spends this coming season in the AHL with a few call ups sprinkled throughout the season. Play in a "winning environment" Utica looks like they should ice a strong  deep team with a good chance to win and for the young guys to taste some success.

Sprinkle call ups for all of top prospects to give them a taste and keep them hungry. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

We can only hope that Baer-Bo-Boeser become the defacto #1 line on the Canucks this year. If the Twins do not recover their ppg's then that is how it plays out. The challenge then becomes how well this line will do against the #1 checking lines of competitors. A whole new learning curve of intensity. It will be a great reminder to fans that this is a rebuilding team and years away from strong contention. 

That has Playmaker-Power Forward-Sniper written all over it.

• Upvote 3