Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Bold prediction in this article on Boeser:

http://thehockeywriters.com/vancouver-canucks-brock-boeser-calder-trophy/

Did I write that?....my thoughts exactly....here is the last paragraph:

quote;

With all of this in mind, Brock Boeser can and will win the Calder Trophy for best rookie of the year. He has the skills to be a great hockey player and the mental toughness that will help him to dig deep when times are tough. I predict that he will score north of 50 points this upcoming season, placing him in Calder contention. Starting on the first line with Bo Horvat and Sven Baertschi and with power play time anything is possible.

• Upvote 2

From the Hockey News:

“Erase the memory of last season,” said rookie right winger Brock Boeser. “Start fresh. I heard the Sedins had a great summer of training and I know they’ll be in shape like they are every year. Everyone is super-excited to get here. They signed some really good free agents, so it should be a good year.”

Boeser, who won an NCAA championship as a freshman with the University of North Dakota, hooked up with the Canucks last year once his sophomore campaign with the school was complete. The Minnesota native found immediate success, notching four goals and five points in a nine-game stint, while also finding chemistry on a line with Bo Horvat and Sven Baertschi. “Right off the bat they were welcoming and took me under their wings,” Boeser said. “They always communicated if I was doing something wrong or if I had to do something differently. The way Bo plays and how hard he works, and how Sven is super-skilled, that’s what clicked. We really meshed together.”

I absolutely love this kid, and I have no problems admitting I wanted a few other players instead at the time. Shortly after the draft and hearing the things people here said about him I started to turn. Then he had that phenomenal season. Boeser looks like a really good kid with a great head on his shoulders. I am really excited to see how he does this season. I am trying not to put huge expectations on the guy, but he looks like a legitimate steal at 23rd overall. Looks like he could be one of the top 10 players outta that draft. Which is saying something, it was suppose to be a pretty deep draft no?

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Very excited for BB, but these horribly unrealistic expectations are setting him up for failure........at least for CDC and various media hacks.

My thoughts exactly. All this talk of him winning the calder is just setting him up to fail in fans eyes. Im hoping he starts in Utica for a month, gets called up and pots about 15 goals this year. Lets worry about his development and not trophies he might be able to win.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

My thoughts exactly. All this talk of him winning the calder is just setting him up to fail in fans eyes. Im hoping he starts in Utica for a month, gets called up and pots about 15 goals this year. Lets worry about his development and not trophies he might be able to win.

The temptation to play this kid will be immense. Hoping they put him in Utica for at least a month as well. If he does well in camp that might not happen. 

• Upvote 1

There is nothing wrong with pumping Brock's tires... it is way better then assuming he will be a bust or even just unable to make the team....

What would you rather read about yourself...how everyone thinks your going to be great or how everyone thinks your just AHL material....

Brock is a lock....

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

There is nothing wrong with pumping Brock's tires... it is way better then assuming he will be a bust or even just unable to make the team....

What would you rather read about yourself...how everyone thinks your going to be great or how everyone thinks your just AHL material....

Brock is a lock....

Lock is a bit bold but he should be confident, he IS that good and will be given a great opportunity to secure a top 6 spot. 

35 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Lock is a bit bold but he should be confident, he IS that good and will be given a great opportunity to secure a top 6 spot. 

If he's not a lock, he's just about as close to being a lock as a player can be without actually being a lock :P

That being said, I think expectations are being blown up a bit. While I fully expect him to make the team, be a regular top six forward, and possibly be in Calder contention, I'll be thrilled if he can hit 20 goals and 40 points in his first full NHL season.

The fact is that he's never played a full season of pro hockey like this before. I expect that he'll have peaks and valleys as the season progresses. Some stretches he'll get 8 points in 10 games, some stretches he'll get 2 points in 10 games.

It's important to remember that if he does struggle at points during the season that it's not the end of the world. Making the adjustment to a regular NHL schedule is probably going to be pretty taxing for him.

38 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If he's not a lock, he's just about as close to being a lock as a player can be without actually being a lock :P

That being said, I think expectations are being blown up a bit. While I fully expect him to make the team, be a regular top six forward, and possibly be in Calder contention, I'll be thrilled if he can hit 20 goals and 40 points in his first full NHL season.

The fact is that he's never played a full season of pro hockey like this before. I expect that he'll have peaks and valleys as the season progresses. Some stretches he'll get 8 points in 10 games, some stretches he'll get 2 points in 10 games.

It's important to remember that if he does struggle at points during the season that it's not the end of the world. Making the adjustment to a regular NHL schedule is probably going to be pretty taxing for him.

I'll be happy if he can pop over 30points while not being a liability in his own end. He's a smart player, I don't see his defensive game being too far behind.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Lets start with training camp before we start piling on the Calder and points predictions huh?

Have we not put enough pressure on past prospects to learn our lesson yet?

The eternal Vancouver curse haha 

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why? Because he scored 4 goals in meaningless games?  I was very happy with his intro to the league, but it means absolutely nothing at this point.  He's at 50/50 whether he starts in Van or Utica, imo.

23 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I'll be happy if he can pop over 30points while not being a liability in his own end. He's a smart player, I don't see his defensive game being too far behind.

I would rather see him get 50-60 points and big mins in Utica, than 25-30 points in a limited role on a possible cellar dweller in Van.

• Upvote 2

My biggest concern with him at the end of last year was his skating. There seemed to be times on the forecheck when he wouldn't pressure very much because he would get caught if he did. Granted, that's probably the right thing to do in that situation, but I wanted to see his skating improve so he could be more aggressive. I also notified he wasn't very mobile on the powerplay sometimes. 

By all accounts, his skating has improved by a solid margin from the end of last year. If he can display that, then he should be even more effective. I still expect him to gas out at around the same point Hutton did last season, but it would be pretty unrealistic to not expect that. 

With BB, are we projecting too high?/farm too low?, etc...

One aspect that we should rightfully get excited about: the synergy between these youngins, if a couple of them really take off. No one can deny, the Maple Fleas benefited from that, last season.

It might not start 'til later in the Fall/winter, or even perhaps next yr. But when a few of our kids gets rolling, probably lots of that energy/skill/chemistry will lift up any laggards by the boot straps. With this depth in youth, there's a potential to shift into an enthused, competitive team, over a relatively short period.

Historically, the 2011 team is probably the only competitive-incarnation we've built(basically, from grass roots). Quinn's '94 beaut was mostly through timely trades(& a couple great picks). What JB's doing now seems similar to the growth of our 2008~2012 period..yet probably deeper.

I could see Brock being one of the leading forces in such a speedy transition.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would rather see him get 50-60 points and big mins in Utica, than 25-30 points in a limited role on a possible cellar dweller in Van.

Meh, if he's playing good and holding his own it would be better to play against the toughest competition in the world. 

• Upvote 1