The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

A little late, but a couple thoughts on the Ottawa game.  Man Brock looked dangerous, he did everything but score, was buzzing around the net all night, but especially in the first.  Second, and this one is not going to be popular, but, his back checking quite frankly, sucked.  It lead to one Ottawa goal, and I didn't see much of a commitment from him in his own end at all.  I'm pretty sure that if he was anyone other than Brock, he would have been benched at some point in the game.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dungass said:

A little late, but a couple thoughts on the Ottawa game.  Man Brock looked dangerous, he did everything but score, was buzzing around the net all night, but especially in the first.  Second, and this one is not going to be popular, but, his back checking quite frankly, sucked.  It lead to one Ottawa goal, and I didn't see much of a commitment from him in his own end at all.  I'm pretty sure that if he was anyone other than Brock, he would have been benched at some point in the game.  

I saw the same thing unfortunately... He seems a little jeckyl & Hyde to me lately. He did look pretty pissed / embarrassed / flustered when his turnover caused that goal the other game tho.. 

Maybe a coincedence but I don't see him grinning like last season.. I was wondering if he's jealous of the new golden boy... is that a thing.?

• Wat 1

On 1/5/2019 at 6:30 AM, Glug Datt said:

I saw the same thing unfortunately... He seems a little jeckyl & Hyde to me lately. He did look pretty pissed / embarrassed / flustered when his turnover caused that goal the other game tho.. 

Maybe a coincedence but I don't see him grinning like last season.. I was wondering if he's jealous of the new golden boy... is that a thing.?

They are great friends off the ice i thought so i can't see that.

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2018 at 7:59 AM, Boudrias said:

I watch Boeser with interests other than his shot. He is not a very physical player for a +200 pound player. Does not finish checks with much gusto. He does use his size for positioning to keep possession. I am looking for a tad more assertiveness in his development.  

Last night's game was a tad concerning to watch Brock last night.

While at the game, I watched closely to see how Brock would respond to such a big game, but his body language wasn't very positive to start.  I think he is used to having Petey wire passes right to his stick and finding open places to receive them with ease.  However, playing with Bo and Baer, Boeser is often the one that has to handle the puck and retrieve with them as it is there style.  He struggled in that department, he looked quite uncomfortable being the one to control the puck majority of the time, as he bobbled it regularly.

His body language in both the o-zone and d-zone he kept pointing to the puck for Bo and Baer to get the puck but literally he was 2-3 strides away from it himself.  He did the same in the o-zone where he was watching the puck rather than proactively skating into areas to get the puck.  When he did, he held the puck far too long that he skated himself into a corner and turned it over with an ill-advised pass or took too long to shoot and lost a shooting lane.  Even as an offensive threat, he needs to work on quickening those shots, he winds up way too long.

He was pretty lackadaisical on the backcheck where you could tell his skating was laborious.  For a guy who is struggling to score without his prime offensive center feeding him passes on the regular, Brock has to start getting back to basics.  Skating hard, hard on the forecheck (since that is his responsibility as a winger), getting back to cover passing lanes, and making smarter passes.  He was touted to be a two way hockey player too, but I find his defensive game fairly mediocre for now.  He reads plays well but he doesn't pick up his feet fast enough to get to those positions, so he is either chasing the play or watching it.

Like Brock, but there are areas he needs to get better in so it doesn't look like he depends solely on Petey to elevate his game.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

I think the only thing that hinders Brock from being able to carry his own line is his skating. It seems like sometimes he isn't fast enough to separate himself from the D and make a play. 

He's a really good sniper, but will need to have a talented playmaker to unlock his potential of 40-50 goals. 

i don't agree

last season when healthy whatever line brock was on was the #1 line on that team

this season brock has not been the same player except in flashes

not clear why that is... maybe never quite healthy, sophomore slump, more attention by other teams?

but i think he will be able to elevate his play again

my eyes do tell me he is different then last season

and i do not accept that his play this season reflects his potential

he was magical last season

and i think he can be again better then his showing this season

i'm prepared to give him time

he is a quality asset presently

and can be a more valuable asset with a bit more time, seasoning, and health

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Last night's game was a tad concerning to watch Brock last night.

While at the game, I watched closely to see how Brock would respond to such a big game, but his body language wasn't very positive to start.  I think he is used to having Petey wire passes right to his stick and finding open places to receive them with ease.  However, playing with Bo and Baer, Boeser is often the one that has to handle the puck and retrieve with them as it is there style.  He struggled in that department, he looked quite uncomfortable being the one to control the puck majority of the time, as he bobbled it regularly.

His body language in both the o-zone and d-zone he kept pointing to the puck for Bo and Baer to get the puck but literally he was 2-3 strides away from it himself.  He did the same in the o-zone where he was watching the puck rather than proactively skating into areas to get the puck.  When he did, he held the puck far too long that he skated himself into a corner and turned it over with an ill-advised pass or took too long to shoot and lost a shooting lane.  Even as an offensive threat, he needs to work on quickening those shots, he winds up way too long.

He was pretty lackadaisical on the backcheck where you could tell his skating was laborious.  For a guy who is struggling to score without his prime offensive center feeding him passes on the regular, Brock has to start getting back to basics.  Skating hard, hard on the forecheck (since that is his responsibility as a winger), getting back to cover passing lanes, and making smarter passes.  He was touted to be a two way hockey player too, but I find his defensive game fairly mediocre for now.  He reads plays well but he doesn't pick up his feet fast enough to get to those positions, so he is either chasing the play or watching it.

Like Brock, but there are areas he needs to get better in so it doesn't look like he depends solely on Petey to elevate his game.

I agree and noticed that too and wonder if he is hurt?

In the dying seconds, he was slow on the backcheck and looked lost not even covering the open man in from and was watching the game, instead of playing it, was lucky the puck never found the open man and in the game before, In a scrum where guys were punching our guys in the face , I watched Brock skate away instead of grabbing a guy, then a defencemen came into get a hold of Brock and he turned away to the boards and didn't want no part of it. Is he wanting to be a pretty boy and nice guy to the players or a team guy first? That behaviour confused me when I witnessed it. 

I wish everyone of these young guys would instead of just praising EP, would follow his lead and work hard and tenacity not only on the forecheck , BUT, backcheck

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

He definitely needs to work on his conditioning IMO, but I'd say he's slumping right now.

This is only his second year in the league and he's on pace to have a similar if not better year than last year.

He seems to wake up when he plays with EP lol.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i don't agree

last season when healthy whatever line brock was on was the #1 line on that team

this season brock has not been the same player except in flashes

not clear why that is... maybe never quite healthy, sophomore slump, more attention by other teams?

but i think he will be able to elevate his play again

my eyes do tell me he is different then last season

and i do not accept that his play this season reflects his potential

he was magical last season

and i think he can be again better then his showing this season

i'm prepared to give him time

he is a quality asset presently

and can be a more valuable asset with a bit more time, seasoning, and health

Last season he had a lot of space when he played with the sedins on the PP.

I maybe wrong but when he was playing with Vanek last season they would get 2nd pairing D with Sedins getting the first pair of D.

It might be a sophomore slump as well, but this season it feels like he doesn't have as much space to shoot as he did last season.

13 minutes ago, bree2 said:

why is it always brock under the microscope. him and petey gelled well this year. Brock, every player goes into slumps.  as for Bo , well he is struggling right now also, what is it, 10 games without a goal. 

Horvat does a LOT of other things even when he's not scoring. And Horvat's looked better while not scoring (still creating space and offense etc, just not burying).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Horvat is in a slump too. he might do other things , but he still needs to score!!!   remember Boeser was out for several games,  just can't get over all the crap a lot of people are  throwing at Boeser. last season everyone loved him, remember Bo's second year.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

On a good note, this mediocre year for Brock likely spells a more affordable, 1-3 year bridge deal :lol:

I still think he's a candidate to get moved to fill a hole at another position.  His shot will always be enough to garner a significant return 

34 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I agree and noticed that too and wonder if he is hurt?

In the dying seconds, he was slow on the backcheck and looked lost not even covering the open man in from and was watching the game, instead of playing it, was lucky the puck never found the open man and in the game before, In a scrum where guys were punching our guys in the face , I watched Brock skate away instead of grabbing a guy, then a defencemen came into get a hold of Brock and he turned away to the boards and didn't want no part of it. Is he wanting to be a pretty boy and nice guy to the players or a team guy first? That behaviour confused me when I witnessed it. 

I wish everyone of these young guys would instead of just praising EP, would follow his lead and work hard and tenacity not only on the forecheck , BUT, backcheck

I don't think he's hurt, he's just not a multi dimensional player.  If he's not scoring, he's not effective........luckily, he scores at a pretty decent clip.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I still think he's a candidate to get moved to fill a hole at another position.  His shot will always be enough to garner a significant return 

Perhaps a possibility in a few + years when we need to start making hard decisions on cap dollars (and have more possible replacements ready). Not now.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't think he's hurt, he's just not a multi dimensional player.  If he's not scoring, he's not effective........luckily, he scores at a pretty decent clip.

I think some of it is still recovering from his injuries/summer, some of it's sophomore slump, some of it's a little less time and space etc, etc.

I'm not particularly worried long term, but he's not have a great year. One dimensional might be a bit harsh but no, he's certainly not an 'all around' guy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Perhaps a possibility in a few + years when we need to start making hard decisions on cap dollars (and have more possible replacements ready). Not now.

I think some of it is still recovering from his injuries/summer, some of it's sophomore slump, some of it's a little less time and space etc, etc.

I'm not particularly worried long term, but he's not have a great year. One dimensional might be a bit harsh but no, he's certainly not an 'all around' guy.

That's my thinking, once they know what they have in other prospects and they start graduating from Utica, he may become a chip to play.