The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That's my thinking, once they know what they have in other prospects and they start graduating from Utica, he may become a chip to play.

Maybe. Or we just keep our elite shooter :P

A problem for another day and another thread... a long ways in to the future though.

I think he has the capacity to round out his game more too. He can be more physical, he's shown ability to be a play maker as well at times so he can be more of a dual threat in that regard as he adapts. And I think we'll see him both learn to adapt to the lesser time and space he's seeing now as well as hopefully be in better game shape as long as he stays healthy and gets some proper off seasons.

Also adding the likes of Hughes/Juolevi over the next couple years isn't going to hurt him either.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

On a good note, this mediocre year for Brock likely spells a more affordable, 1-3 year bridge deal :lol:

I still feel Benning will want to give him a 5-8 year deal, even if he has a slightly mediocre season, though his deal will be, of course, cheaper.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I still feel Benning will want to give him a 5-8 year deal, even if he has a slightly mediocre season, though his deal will be, of course, cheaper.

A shorter bridge actually deal works for both sides. Boes's side will gamble that he'll be able to earn a bigger contract after couple good years and take 'medium' money in the interim and Benning will take a shorter deal that gives him more cap flexibility the next two'ish years to perhaps chase a Karlsson or a Stone etc and allow more high dollar vet deals to expire/be traded in the interim and comes with less risk should Boes never take that next step.

If Boes signs a long term deal now, he's looking at closer to Horvat + type $. That's fine if he's game for it but I don't see it happening.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

A shorter bridge actually deal works for both sides. Boes's side will gamble that he'll be able to earn a bigger contract after couple good years and take 'medium' money in the interim and Benning will take a shorter deal that gives him more cap flexibility the next two'ish years to perhaps chase a Karlsson or a Stone etc and allow more high dollar vet deals to expire/be traded in the interim and comes with less risk should Boes never take that next step.

If Boes signs a long term deal now, he's looking at closer to Horvat + type $. That's fine if he's game for it but I don't see it happening.

I think he's still at $6.5M to $7M based on what we've seen now on a long-term deal. His season has been a bit worse than last year, but not enough for a big discount, just enough to prevent it from going above $7M like many (including myself) predicted it might. A bridge is possible and Boes could prove himself and get more like $8M if he waits with a bridge deal, but he might rather just take a smaller pay and have more immediate security.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think he's still at $6.5M to $7M based on what we've seen now on a long-term deal. His season has been a bit worse than last year, but not enough for a big discount, just enough to prevent it from going above $7M like many (including myself) predicted it might. A bridge is possible and Boes could prove himself and get more like $8M if he waits with a bridge deal, but he might rather just take a smaller pay and have more immediate security.

Clearly Boeser is a top six goal scorer, who compliments other top line players (like Petey or Bo)  

If JB is wise he locks up Boeser for six years.  I see a 6x6 as being fair.  That's what we did with Bo, and his contract is great now.  that stupid Dubass though, giving Nylander 7 might have messed it up for all the other teams' caps. 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't think he's hurt, he's just not a multi dimensional player.  If he's not scoring, he's not effective........luckily, he scores at a pretty decent clip.

If that is the case

What do you pay a player who is only a benefactor of someone creating the plays and isn't great defensively?

If you pay him too much and your star centres get hurt then what are you paying for? (Nylander says Hi, even with leagues top centres around)

I like Brock, but this is only his second year and don't want to overpay and hurt the team cap of building  a contender

This idea of a restricted free agent was to control costs and that they would hit the payload when they had proven their worth and consistency over the years and hit free agency

Pretty hard to think even a player making 5 million a year in their 3rd year is hard done by

43 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

If that is the case

What do you pay a player who is only a benefactor of someone creating the plays and isn't great defensively?

If you pay him too much and your star centres get hurt then what are you paying for? (Nylander says Hi, even with leagues top centres around)

I like Brock, but this is only his second year and don't want to overpay and hurt the team cap of building  a contender

This idea of a restricted free agent was to control costs and that they would hit the payload when they had proven their worth and consistency over the years and hit free agency

Pretty hard to think even a player making 5 million a year in their 3rd year is hard done by

youre preaching to the choir.  I agree completey

47 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

If that is the case

Pretty hard to think even a player ANY HUMAN making 5 million a year in their 3rd year AT ANY POINT IN THEIR LIVES is hard done by

FIFY

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2019 at 3:53 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

If that is the case

I look at Phil Kessel as a compareble for roles. In Phil’s 4th year he was making 5.4 million. This is coming fresh off a 60 point in 70 games season (contract year). This was also back in 2010 when the cap was much lower.

2010 cap 57 800 000

kessel salary 5 400 000

9.3 percent

2019 projected cap 83 000 000

so seeing Boeser around 9.3 percent of that wouldn’t be far off

Boeser would be getting 7.7/season

another look

kessel points during ELC 

125 points in 222 games, 66 goals and 0.56 points per game

Boeser points during ELC

91 points in 107 games, 49 goals and 0.85 points per game and on pace for 60 points in 70 games this year (contract year)

now or of course one would have to consider the leafs signed Kessel to that contract so it’s definitely a bit inflated

so to answer the question I think Boeser will be getting around 7.5 million a year

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Wanless said:

I look at Phil Kessel as a compareble for roles. In Phil’s 4th year he was making 5.4 million. This is coming fresh off a 60 point in 70 games season (contract year). This was also back in 2010 when the cap was much lower.

2010 cap 57 800 000

kessel salary 5 400 000

9.3 percent

2019 projected cap 83 000 000

so seeing Boeser around 9.3 percent of that wouldn’t be far off

Boeser would be getting 7.7/season

another look

kessel points during ELC 

125 points in 222 games, 66 goals and 0.56 points per game

Boeser points during ELC

91 points in 107 games, 49 goals and 0.85 points per game and on pace for 60 points in 70 games this year (contract year)

now or of course one would have to consider the leafs signed Kessel to that contract so it’s definitely a bit inflated

so to answer the question I think Boeser will be getting around 7.5 million a year

Great research. The dollar amount may seem high, but it's hard to disagree with the numbers.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Great research. The dollar amount may seem high, but it's hard to disagree with the numbers.

Thanks

I have this feeling that leafs contacts are quite high, it’s no surprise they get into cap trouble.

but it’s a tough one, would be nice to see a 4 year 5ish million deal but an 8 year 7 million deal might look real good in 3 years when the cap is pushing 90 and Boeser is putting up 70-80 points a year. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/17/2019 at 2:44 PM, Alflives said:

Clearly Boeser is a top six goal scorer, who compliments other top line players (like Petey or Bo)  

If JB is wise he locks up Boeser for six years.  I see a 6x6 as being fair.  That's what we did with Bo, and his contract is great now.  that stupid Dubass though, giving Nylander 7 might have messed it up for all the other teams' caps. 

or (long shot) he might have done every team a favor at his own expense. 

nylander has completely lost his mojo, and is a bit of a laughing stock. how many rfa's might think twice about being the next star to miss camp & preseason & sit out 35 games and get a nice contract, only to turn into the next joke of the league..?

the hold-out happens so rarely and it may never happen again.. 

Maybe dumbass actually shifted power back to the gm's? 

Edited by Glug Datt
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

or (long shot) he might have done every team a favor at his own expense. 

nylander has completely lost his mojo, and is a bit of a laughing stock. how many rfa's might think twice about being the next star to miss camp & preseason & sit out 35 games and get a nice contract, only to turn into the next joke of the league..?

the hold-out happens so rarely and it may never happen again.. 

Maybe dumbass actually shifted power back to the gm's? 

Nylander is costing all the RFA's this year money. All of them will want Nylander money and their clubs simply have to point and ask why?