The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

1 hour ago, canucksuberalles said:

Boeser is the one prospect GMJB aced i think.  Sky is the limit with this kid

1 hour ago, Frazzy Desjardins said:

No love for McCann?

Not sure exactly what canucksuberalles meant, but I think the point with McCann is that he was the obvious pick but the time Benning picked. By that point he had floated up to the top of pretty much every list. So is a very good prospect but it's not like it took a genius to pick him. The Boeser pick, on the other hand, surprised a lot of people. But so far it looks like a great pick. 

The Virtanen pick, on the other hand, will continue to be questioned until it become clear how he compares with Ehlers and Nylander when they are all NHL regulars.

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Not sure exactly what canucksuberalles meant, but I think the point with McCann is that he was the obvious pick but the time Benning picked. By that point he had floated up to the top of pretty much every list. So is a very good prospect but it's not like it took a genius to pick him. The Boeser pick, on the other hand, surprised a lot of people. But so far it looks like a great pick. 

The Virtanen pick, on the other hand, will continue to be questioned until it become clear how he compares with Ehlers and Nylander when they are all NHL regulars.

Why bring up other teams' SMURF prospects?  We don't want those soft perimiter players, who MIGHT become NHL players.

Boeser is 3rd in Freshman scoring. 

#1 is Colin White with 21 in 13

#2 is Miles Wood (1995 birthday) 17 in 13

#3 the one and only Brock Boeser

1 and 2 play for BC who have 8 players with at least 10 points

Edited by Gstank29

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why bring up other teams' SMURF prospects?  We don't want those soft perimiter players, who MIGHT become NHL players.

Huh, i dont care if Virt is big but man he loses the puck easily. Hes head is always down and is the opposite of Ehlers and Nylander, who may have height issues sees the ice at a higher level.

The Sedins are perimeter players, they play near the boards, those are the toughest area of the rink , you know hits and cheapshots, and the more you have control over it the more possession your team have.

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

The Boesser pick I agree was shrewd.

Virtanen is riskier than the others because power forwards tend to take longer to develop.  If he survives his turbulent youth and achieves his potential, he will also likely be at the top of his game for a relatively short time.  It's like the running back in football.  A certain number of years in a high impact position takes it's toll.  We'll know in 5 years.

McCann may have been a no brainer when he was picked but I'm glad we got him because he has the character to be a number 1.  B Mo with a better shot?

Very solid pick, liked Boeser at the time and still do. Looking at his USHL numbers he is in great company. In fact, it is hard to find an NHL player who had a better GPG than Boeser in the USHL. One player is Thomas Vanek. He also scored 43 goals as a 22 year old in the NHL. The other is Jack Eichel.

Very few players dominate the USHL statistically like they do in the CHL leagues. Look at Sam Gagner - 46 points in 56 games in the USHL, followed-up by 118 points in 53 games in the OHL. A lot of solid NHL players (Saad, Backes, Okposo, Purcell, Chiasson, Girgensons, Read, Lee, Pacioretty, Pavelski, Sharp, Larkin) scored around or a little over a ppg. Kept up a similar ppg pace through University and became solid top 6/9 players in the NHL. 

This path doesn't seem to produce "super star" type players (with the exception of Eichel and Vanek, who were rare talents). Instead it prepares players well for the transition to pro hockey. All of the aforementioned guys seem to have a well-rounded game and are "great players to have", beyond even their offensive output. I feel good about Boeser progressing nicely and not having much trouble transitioning into a pro role, first in the AHL and the the NHL. He might be an "older rookie", but he will slide into the lineup nicely like Ben Hutton. 

http://www.ushl.com/page/show/1209183-alumni-in-the-nhl

10 hours ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Huh, i dont care if Virt is big but man he loses the puck easily. Hes head is always down and is the opposite of Ehlers and Nylander, who may have height issues sees the ice at a higher level.

The Sedins are perimeter players, they play near the boards, those are the toughest area of the rink , you know hits and cheapshots, and the more you have control over it the more possession your team have.

That's not my point at all.  My point is: with our prospects, let's leave them to develop before insisting other picks would have been better.  Give it a couple of years, then have at it.  For example: Jagr would have been a better choice then Nedved and ROR would have been better than Schroeder.  Right now "patience donkey" :)

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's not my point at all.  My point is: with our prospects, let's leave them to develop before insisting other picks would have been better.  Give it a couple of years, then have at it.  For example: Jagr would have been a better choice then Nedved and ROR would have been better than Schroeder.  Right now "patience donkey" :)

Patience would be letting virt serve his last year in juniors and then letting him spend a couple of years in the AHL to develop all the skills he needs to learn with more time and less consequences, as he's overall game at this point is very inadequate in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Patience would be letting virt serve his last year in juniors and then letting him spend a couple of years in the AHL to develop all the skills he needs to learn with more time and less consequences, as he's overall game at this point is very inadequate in the NHL.

Why? What proves your method works better than the one employed by management?

What's inadequate for a rookie told to play a physical grinding game? He's nerve wracked to win, like most young men would be, and wants to do too much. He doesn't look inadequate, just like he's overthinking. And then, the whole team can be looked at through the same lens. 

There's lot of info out there arguing against keeping Virtanen with the Hitmen. Not sure if you've read it, but the main thing is usage. Virt wasn't faring much better minute wise than he is here, and in my opinion, testing your skills on an opponent who can beat you makes you better, rather than dominating. Case in point - Vey.

It's great to see Boeser playing well, I expected to see him score, but a PPG pace after 16 games is above and beyond. Really happy he chose to go to UND instead of Wisconsin. I think it will push his development ahead of schedule, and hopefully he decides to go pro sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

What excites me most about Boeser is that he seems to be the first guy that the Canucks have drafted in a long time that has an extremely high offensive hockey iq. He just has that instinct that you can't teach. 

Actually, Jared McCann was and still is.