The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎9‎:‎45‎:‎46‎, NameFaker said:

Surprise everyone but the wise who've traversed the storied halls of CDC.

Yeah, I've heard the same about him - that he's a pure goal scorer. If we have players like McCann, Boeser, and Shinkaruk in our top 6, we should be able to score some goals. All of those guys have demonstrated the ability to put the puck in the net with precision and power. Hopefully it translates for all of them. 

I think, like I wrote before, that Boeser seems really smart on the ice, so I think he'll be able to generate chances regardless of who he's playing with. Obviously, he'd benefit enormously from a set-up man like Baer, but it remains to be seen who'll stick.

Boeser, people have disagreed with me but so be it, looks to me like a Jeremy Roenick type guy.

He has speed but not at a world class level. Size, but not like a power forward (Lucic, Perry to an extent)) who can just bull his way through people to the net. But he is strong and does head to the net. Consistently. Does not seem to waste any time fluffing around protecting the puck in the corners or on the half boards. And has slick hands which he is always using to make a play or rip the quick shot. The guy is on the ice to try and make plays.

He's always looking which makes him look smart.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎22‎:‎14‎, The Lock said:

I would love to see Baer develop into the player a lot of people seem to think he could develop into. Hopefully he does. However, like Virtanen, people need to learn to be patient with Baer. People seem to think 2 months is enough to judge a player. It's not.

I believe, in a bigger picture thing, the Canucks have to develop in order for Baer to be successful. Just as much as Baer has to develop.

He's a player in the mold that fits a high skill pressing team. Like Montreal or Chicago, perhaps Detroit in the current world. The Twins for example, play the possession game different than those teams. They carry the puck over the blue line. Then instead of attacking a defensive player > the Twins wait for the defensive player to come to them. Then they shield the puck with their body and cycle till something opens up. Gallagher, Patches or Plekanec, same with Kane or Panarin, are looking to go directly at the defensive guy and beat him instead. Away from the puck they are cutting at high speed through lanes to try and take a feathered pass, another option for the puck carrier. Constantly making defenders move and adjust to them. That's a game Baertschi is made for!

If Chicago lose the puck, turn it over trying to make a play, so be it. Its also not necessarily a bad ''possession'' game, as much as it sounds like it. And Q does not mind. Corsi suggests the overall possession winner is about most shots on net. He also wants them pressing to get it back. They backcheck like demons, watch Gallagher. Harass puck carriers. Attack the point when they don't have possession. Force other teams to make high skill plays or turn it over themselves. Ultimately the faster, more skilled and athletic team will win out most times. They get more shots and goals when the pace is higher and the puck is constantly turning over.

The Twins play a stoic game, and the 2knd through fourth line of ours is just trying to create their own identities. Ultimately we need to change that up; develop into a high skill attacking team. Baertschi as long as he back checks would look very good in a Canuck uni.

If he continues to be asked to cycle on the half boards with Higgins > he does not really stand a chance here.

We have to develop the type of game that suits players like Baertschi if we're going to acquire them. And its coming. McCann is here, Jake wants that style. Horvat and Kenins can play it. From the old guard Burrows and Hansen can cycle but they also looked better when we were an attacking team in 2011. Boeser and Shinkaruk are also on their way... 

If we don't make the shift it may be a long 5 years!

19 hours ago, Cowardrobertford said:

After the scorers we have drafted, we also need to have them playmakers as well. I see here people think just because a player scores goals, he automatically increases goal scoring, where as to me playmakers are more valuable as they are the reason the goal happens; the set it up.

To a degree that's true.

To another degree, its not.  I was quoting Montreal above.  They don't have an Adam Oates, Joe Thornton or Henrik Sedin skilled play maker. But by having lots of guys (Plekanec, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Andrighetto seems to belong) who play the attacking game, it still creates a style where plays open up.

(It also helps that they have several D who can carry the puck and beat their man, cough, gulp, hint, hint, cough, choke...)

We need more than Hutton who can play this game from the blue line though!

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, BanTSN said:

That's nice, but we should have picked a defenseman.  Benning has some hard work to do now to pick up the slack.

I said the exact same thing the minute Shinkaruk was picked.

But there is a difference. Boeser is a much more solid pick, one that was hard to pass on. He has NHL size and fitness as well as play style, to go along with skills, to his credit. He goes directly to the net. Just my opinion that he has a better chance of being a significant NHL'er than the D who shortly followed him in draft order (Juulsen, Roy, not that they are bad prospects...).

Shinkaruk looked dynamic in junior. But went wide on WHL D as a play style. Without really displaying the athleticism to beat NHL D in the same way. A hole he was going to have to overcome. That's why he was on the outside looking in for WJC selections (although injured his last year). The skills were there. And his personality was dynamic. But he got too much credit for character. I cringed when he had his pic snapped at Okanogan lake with his shirt off next to Horvat his first integration camp. In my view a guy who's goal is to be a pro athlete should have been making at least a cursory effort to get in the gym. Pee Wee Herman could have ate his lunch. Bowie and Theodore were both on the board, had similar skills but better to significantly better physical toolboxes.  

Shinkaruk is turning a corner and can still make it. A lot of it still has to do with a level of training to get the most of his toolbox. I just see an 18 year old, like Horvat or Boeser, who has the maturity to be NHL fit as a massive check mark.

Still, we are definitely at a crossroads where not picking among the elite athletes at the top of the draft, is setting ourselves up to have our D be the component that lets us down this & the next few years.

We should be picking D!

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I believe, in a bigger picture thing, the Canucks have to develop in order for Baer to be successful. Just as much as Baer has to develop.

He's a player in the mold that fits a high skill pressing team. Like Montreal or Chicago, perhaps Detroit in the current world. The Twins for example, play the possession game different than those teams. They carry the puck over the blue line. Then instead of attacking a defensive player > the Twins wait for the defensive player to come to them. Then they shield the puck with their body and cycle till something opens up. Gallagher, Patches or Plekanec, same with Kane or Panarin, are looking to go directly at the defensive guy and beat him instead. Away from the puck they are cutting at high speed through lanes to try and take a feathered pass, another option for the puck carrier. Constantly making defenders move and adjust to them. That's a game Baertschi is made for!

If Chicago lose the puck, turn it over trying to make a play, so be it. Its also not necessarily a bad ''possession'' game, as much as it sounds like it. And Q does not mind. Corsi suggests the overall possession winner is about most shots on net. He also wants them pressing to get it back. They backcheck like demons, watch Gallagher. Harass puck carriers. Attack the point when they don't have possession. Force other teams to make high skill plays or turn it over themselves. Ultimately the faster, more skilled and athletic team will win out most times. They get more shots and goals when the pace is higher and the puck is constantly turning over.

The Twins play a stoic game, and the 2knd through fourth line of ours is just trying to create their own identities. Ultimately we need to change that up; develop into a high skill attacking team. Baertschi as long as he back checks would look very good in a Canuck uni.

If he continues to be asked to cycle on the half boards with Higgins > he does not really stand a chance here.

We have to develop the type of game that suits players like Baertschi if we're going to acquire them. And its coming. McCann is here, Jake wants that style. Horvat and Kenins can play it. From the old guard Burrows and Hansen can cycle but they also looked better when we were an attacking team in 2011. Boeser and Shinkaruk are also on their way... 

You agree with me, I agree with you. 

The reason Baer had success in Utica was the talent of that team relative to the league. His style matched theirs, and he's mismatched to his current role - your remark about Higgins mirrors this thought. Benning has the vision of a faster team in mind, see: Bartkowski. And the prospects we've been selecting for offensive roles (defenders, too) have tended to have wheels rather than not. It'll be nice to see a breakout North-South Canucks team in a few years. Sounds like we might have a team modelled on the WCE era where the Sedins are solid 2nd-3rd line contributors and our other lines are fast, creative, and hungry. I would love to see consistent scoring off the rush. Baer'll fit in if the team's trends continue, and I think WD is playing an unfamiliar style. Remember the beginning of last season? The Canucks pressed consistently, played with tenacity and aggression, but injuries and a generally inadequate line-up caught up to the team, and so the style shifted. In my opinion, the team hasn't gotten better since then, but the next couple years will bring a change of style that coincides with player development, as I see it.

I'm really hoping Subban can handle the NHL rigours as a defenceman, his puck rushing abilities would be great to have from the back-end. I've also been impressed with the highlight reel of Brisebois, even though his counting stats suck. It looks like there are some promising defence prospects in the pipeline who can fill the roles of Bartkowski and Weber to a higher ability in those two I mentioned, and some other intriguing additions like Trymakin, who seems to be having a great season in the KHL thus far. I'm excited for the next two, three years of integration and growth.

Oh hey, do you think Rodin will come over?

5 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Our highest ceiling prospect IMO. 

Tough to tell at this stage, but Boeser certainly looks good. I have read in a couple of places that he is now considered a "lock" for the US world juniors, up from a consensus "good chance" as of the summer.

As for our highest ceiling prospect, it is a tough call between McCann and Boeser. And I am not sure how we factor in Demko. I am, however, increasingly convinced that the assessments of Virtanen as a likely third liner might be accurate, so his ceiling drops below that of McCann and Boeser. (And I assume we are not counting Horvat and Hutton as prospects any more.). 

Jargon changes. Instead of talking about "hockey IQ" people are now talking about who "processes the game" well. The consensus is that Hutton and McCann "process the game well". Virtanen doesn't. He will need to rely mainly on "brute force" skills -- strength and speed. Fortunately he has a high level of both those attributes.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

To a degree that's true.

To another degree, its not.  I was quoting Montreal above.  They don't have an Adam Oates, Joe Thornton or Henrik Sedin skilled play maker. But by having lots of guys (Plekanec, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Andrighetto seems to belong) who play the attacking game, it still creates a style where plays open up.

(It also helps that they have several D who can carry the puck and beat their man, cough, gulp, hint, hint, cough, choke...)

We need more than Hutton who can play this game from the blue line though!

Montreal has some a lot of 20 goal scorers yes, but I'm pretty sure the guys would generate more offence if they have a legit puck possession play maker.