The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

32 minutes ago, WTG said:

Brock Boeser as of today leads in these categories

Most shots as a freshman with 61 (T-13th in NCAA)
Most goals as a freshman with 11  (T-4th in NCAA)
Best goals/per game as a freshman with 0.61 goals per game (19th in NCAA)
Best +/- as a freshman with +21 (3rd in NCAA)
Most hatricks as a freshman with 1 (T-1st in NCAA)

Pretty damn impressive for a 18 year old.

Sadly there will still be people who will argue that he is on a stacked team and this is all irrelevant lol. 

20 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Sadly there will still be people who will argue that he is on a stacked team and this is all irrelevant lol. 

Boeser is definitely not a passenger on this team.

The Caggiula-Schmaltz-Boeser line has been compared to the DOT line with Oshie-Toews-Duncan line.

On 12/5/2015, 8:03:02, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

What a beauty... Make that 11 on the season! He's on fire!

As expected Boeser has been named to the US World Junior Prelimary Team. The group has 29 players of whom 16 are forwards. The team will probably carry 14 forwards, so there are probably only 2 final cuts for forwards. That is the position Cassels was in last year and he was one of the final cuts.

Boeser, however, is widely expected to make the team and should play in the top six.

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

As expected Boeser has been named to the US World Junior Prelimary Team. The group has 29 players of whom 16 are forwards. The team will probably carry 14 forwards, so there are probably only 2 final cuts for forwards. That is the position Cassels was in last year and he was one of the final cuts.

Boeser, however, is widely expected to make the team and should play in the top six.

I can't express how excited I am to see him in the world Jrs. 

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Cassels made the team originally but was replaced because of his ohl suspension that would have forced him to miss the entire round robin and 1 playoff game

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, manroth19 said:

Cassels made the team originally but was replaced because of his ohl suspension that would have forced him to miss the entire round robin and 1 playoff game

I don't think that is true. My recollection is that the OHL was prepared to waive his suspension if he made the US team.

And it is definitely is not true that he made the team and was then replaced. When the final roster was first announced he was not on it. He was in the final selection camp and was one of the final cuts. See  http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/12/23/7445153/team-usa-releases-jeremy-bracco-and-cole-cassels.

10 hours ago, JamesB said:

I don't think that is true. My recollection is that the OHL was prepared to waive his suspension if he made the US team.

And it is definitely is not true that he made the team and was then replaced. When the final roster was first announced he was not on it. He was in the final selection camp and was one of the final cuts. See  http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/12/23/7445153/team-usa-releases-jeremy-bracco-and-cole-cassels.

He got suspended november 26th for 10 games and got cut 4 days before the tournament started. His suspension would be upheld to december 29th which was midway through thr tourny. Usa didn't cut him earlier in hopes the chl wpuld lift the ban which they did not is why he was the last cut

Good to see this kids doing well. I thought from the very beginning that he just looked like a joe pavelski type to me. Ive seen a few people say the same thing which is awesome. More and more i see this guy lighting up the scoresheet, the more and more im going against my original hopes of him staying in college. Kinda hoping now utica can go on a playoff run and brock to join the boys and become a pro

8 hours ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Sure looked like the Golden Brett there. I think Boeser can extend the Sedins' careers if placed on the same line.

Even if he turns pro next season, he's just as likely to be in Utica as Vancouver and would very likely need another year or two to even start to think about putting him on a first line with all the pressure and expectations associated with that. 

We'd be VERY lucky if he's ready to play (likely as a second line by then) with the twins in their final year of their contract and maybe a +1/+2 new contract year if they don't retire.

Let's not get ahead of our selves here.

1 hour ago, manroth19 said:

He got suspended november 26th for 10 games and got cut 4 days before the tournament started. His suspension would be upheld to december 29th which was midway through thr tourny. Usa didn't cut him earlier in hopes the chl wpuld lift the ban which they did not is why he was the last cut

Do you have a source for that?  Did USA Hockey ever say that was the reason Cassels was cut?

Cassels only had one game left on his suspension when cut.  It was widely reported that the CHL was prepared to lift the suspension if he made the team, though without a source for that.  For example:

"Cole Cassels survived the first three cuts by the United States world junior team and was one of 15 forwards remaining looking for 13 spots as of early this week. It’s expected OHL commissioner David Branch will lift the final game of Cassels’ suspension if he makes the team, but if not he will still need to sit out one more for the Generals, meaning a Dec. 30 return in Kingston ."

http://www.durhamregion.com/sports-story/5229386-oshawa-generals-don-t-skip-a-beat-without-cassels-dal-colle/

When he was cut, the suspension wasn't given as a reason.  For example, see this report saying he was conisdered a bubble player and when cut while the suspension was mentioned it was with the mention that it was expected it would be lifted for that one game: http://thecanuckway.com/2014/12/24/cole-cassels-released-from-us-wjc-roster/

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tyhee said:

Do you have a source for that?  Did USA Hockey ever say that was the reason Cassels was cut?

Cassels only had one game left on his suspension when cut.  It was widely reported that the CHL was prepared to lift the suspension if he made the team, though without a source for that.  For example:

"Cole Cassels survived the first three cuts by the United States world junior team and was one of 15 forwards remaining looking for 13 spots as of early this week. It’s expected OHL commissioner David Branch will lift the final game of Cassels’ suspension if he makes the team, but if not he will still need to sit out one more for the Generals, meaning a Dec. 30 return in Kingston ."

http://www.durhamregion.com/sports-story/5229386-oshawa-generals-don-t-skip-a-beat-without-cassels-dal-colle/

When he was cut, the suspension wasn't given as a reason.  For example, see this report saying he was conisdered a bubble player and when cut while the suspension was mentioned it was with the mention that it was expected it would be lifted for that one game: http://thecanuckway.com/2014/12/24/cole-cassels-released-from-us-wjc-roster/

Thanks tyhee.

This is my recollection also. Certainly all the discussion at the time of the final cut was whether Cassels would make the USA team on merit, not based on the suspension. As you say, it was reported that the OHL was expected to lift the suspension if Cassels made the team.

And many people were critical of the decision to cut Cassels, arguing that the US team would have been better with him on it as a "shutdown" center who could match up against players like McDavid and Nylander.

Do you guys think these player comparisons are accurate?

Horvat = Bergeron
McCann = Krejci
Virtanen = Okposo + speed
Boeser = Pavelski
Shinkaurik = Skinner
Baertschi = Vanek?

I think if Baertshci reaches his potential, he could possibly be on the same level as Vanek; extremely inconsistent, but has plenty of natural ability.