The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Every time I see a post like this, where someone chooses to take rumours and media fabrications as gospel and then dumps crap on a Canucks player based on that ridiculous assumption, I lose a little more respect for that poster.

And when the poster whines about the fact that world class elite athletes are paid far more than Joe Lunchbucket (implying that the player should therefore accept whatever offer the team gives them) the poster is just demonstrating that they are living in a fantasy world.

I would certainly be interested in seeing any actual facts that indicate the Canucks are being completely fair and reasonable and Brock is being greedy.

The delay is all about establishing the market value for RFA forwards.  Marner has signed.  Now there is a benchmark established at the high end which is the number that everybody was waiting for.  Players will sign now.  It's about caution and not wanting to sell themselves short.

Since Marner signed at a number that is not high, I think we'll see others sign at reasonable numbers.  Werenski and McAvoy have signed 3 year bridge deals.  I think that Boeser does the same.  If he can actually produce the way we expect he can, he will cash in big time on his next contract and the Canucks will feel free to lock him up for the maximum term.  At that point, the core will be completely established and players like Eriksson, Sutter, Roussel, Beagle and possibly Baertschi will be off the books.

The burnt year is why Brock cannot receive offer sheets from other teams. This has significant value to the team. Would you like it better if another team could cause the Canucks major headaches by giving Brock an offer of a short term contract for say $8M/year?

Otoh, if the 2016-17 season hadn't been burned, Boeser's entry level contract would be in effect for the 2019-20 season and he'd be at training camp.  The issue would arise next summer.

The burnt year is why Brock cannot receive offer sheets from other teams. This has significant value to the team. Would you like it better if another team could cause the Canucks major headaches by giving Brock an offer of a short term contract for say $8M/year?

At 8 mil., I'm looking at who the offersheet came from and where I'm projecting them to finish.

Any projected top ten pick, I'm taking the compensation all the way.

4 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

At 8 mil., I'm looking at who the offersheet came from and where I'm projecting them to finish.

It’s a “MOO” point.  Brock is not eligible to get an offer sheet.  

97B83F0E-267F-49B5-B67F-177F95983427.gif

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Hard to say with that though. Brock is a great sniper and he should be a perennial 40g guy imo with Pistol Pete as his C creating offense. We haven't hit a home run with all our top 10 picks either so who knows if we were to pick a stud or a bit of a dud with that compensation pick. Not worth the risk, Montreal should have offer sheeted Point vs Aho imo, Carolina had lots of cap space vs TB, either way it would get matched, it would have had to gone to the next bracket for a team to let go of Aho or Point imo

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

... a Canucks player based on that ridiculous assumption...

...implying that the player should therefore accept whatever offer the team gives them...

Holy taking my words and writing your own narrative.

First, when sports writers post rumors, they usually arent baseless.  This is their career on the line and if they are proven wrong consistently, people listen less.  (Ie: Eklund)  Now, you are right there is nothing concrete but Benning himself said he offers short term and long term. We know in the past he has been very fair in his offers and I doubt he will lowball a guy he feels is an integral piece of this team.  I will admit - perhaps all these indications will prove nothing but for now I truly believe the holdup is Brock, and I think most agree.

As for him taking "whatever", I never said that. My point is that logic dictates they are not millions apart. As such, why not take a half mil less to get it done? He will surely get paid enough down the road to make that difference inconsequential. Like I said... it just seems greedy and destructive to the team and his own season.

With all this said - sure, you may he right and I may he wrong. I am willing to eat my own words if that proves to be true.  Are you?

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

Exactly....$8.27M after winning Hart Trophies and the team winning President trophies

Yes, but it's worth noting that they had fallen off from their best days by 2014 and although they were still good, they weren't 90-110 point players anymore.. They were also on the cusp of their 34th birthdays. I think if they had signed a contract in 2011 or 2012, it would've been much more.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Holy taking my words and writing your own narrative.

First, when sports writers post rumors, they usually arent baseless.  This is their career on the line and if they are proven wrong consistently, people listen less.  (Ie: Eklund)  Now, you are right there is nothing concrete but Benning himself said he offers short term and long term. We know in the past he has been very fair in his offers and I doubt he will lowball a guy he feels is an integral piece of this team.  I will admit - perhaps all these indications will prove nothing but for now I truly believe the holdup is Brock, and I think most agree.

As for him taking "whatever", I never said that. My point is that logic dictates they are not millions apart. As such, why not take a half mil less to get it done? He will surely get paid enough down the road to make that difference inconsequential. Like I said... it just seems greedy and destructive to the team and his own season.

With all this said - sure, you may he right and I may he wrong. I am willing to eat my own words if that proves to be true.  Are you?

Holy redacting Batman. Since I make a point of refraining from writing ridiculous things based on rumours and biases, yes I do stand behind everything I write. Including the words you chose to redact to eliminate the context. 

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Holy redacting Batman.

What did I redact? And what part of what I said is so outlandish that it is "ridiculous"?  Rumors from legit sports people? That Brock may be holding this up?  That the sides may be close in value and/or term?

Just because someone may have a different opinion than your own doesn't make their thoughts ridiculous.

7 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The delay is all about establishing the market value for RFA forwards.  Marner has signed.  Now there is a benchmark established at the high end which is the number that everybody was waiting for.  Players will sign now.  It's about caution and not wanting to sell themselves short.

Since Marner signed at a number that is not high, I think we'll see others sign at reasonable numbers.  Werenski and McAvoy have signed 3 year bridge deals.  I think that Boeser does the same.  If he can actually produce the way we expect he can, he will cash in big time on his next contract and the Canucks will feel free to lock him up for the maximum term.  At that point, the core will be completely established and players like Eriksson, Sutter, Roussel, Beagle and possibly Baertschi will be off the books.

The team and player are not far apart.  4 for 7 vs 6 for 7.  Split the difference and do 5 for 7.  

They both feel like they are giving something up.  Sounds like a good deal from where I sit.  

1 minute ago, Phat Fingers said:

The team and player are not far apart.  4 for 7 vs 6 for 7.  Split the difference and do 5 for 7.  

They both feel like they are giving something up.  Sounds like a good deal from where I sit.  

Wouldn’t 5 years take him to free agency? 

Way too risky.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

I thought that 5 years would be a no go because he would be a ufa.  Maybe someone can correct me on this if I am wrong.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

A267FAEB-D121-4588-92EE-F9DB741114C8.png

Sad to see his dad looking that frail. If the outlook was grim I would understand Boeser wanting to be by his side. What would be wise tho is for the team to come out and say Brock is taking a leave of absence to be with his family during this difficult time.

That would put 0 pressure on a deal and 99.9% of fans, media and his teammates would be totally understanding. I am not sure if it is that dire but his dad looks quite frail, hard to battle illnesses when it takes that much out of you

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

I don't buy those numbers being real, at all.  I think JB isn't even considering those kinds of deal at this stage in BB's career.