The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

5 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

An anonymous NHL executive was asked "Who says no" in regards to a Boeser/Dumba swap and he says Vancouver says no as per The Athletic.  Thoughts?  I'd entertain the offer, Dumba is signed to 2023 iirc.  

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

What young defender would you trade Brock for that would fit into our long term plan, keep in mind brock will probably be scoring 40 in his prime( educated guess considering he was on pace for 30 his first 2 seasons)

51 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm not on the trade Boeser train at all, but if it was to come to pass, I'd say Colton Parayko.

Yeah if I'm moving Boeser (I'm personally in no rush), I'd be looking at guys like Werenski, Provorov or the aforementioned Parayko.

Dumba doesn't cut it and we already have a similar (and younger, arguably better etc) D-type in Hughes.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I can't see how Faulk is the replacement for Pietrangelo.

The problem fans have is we have no clue who wants what or what the team is actually willing to give. There have been almost no negotiations and if there were talks, there is only speculation as to what they entailed. There is no concrete reporting and not for lack of trying.

Nobody wants to lose Pietrangelo. While many fans were ready to ship him out after the 2018-19 season, the reality is that was just typical fan unrest. Most fans would love Pietrangelo to be able to retire with the team that drafted him.

However, pro sports no longer allows us such sentimentality. The business side, both for the team and player, require them to make decisions that we simply cannot identify with.

Maybe the lure of family could keep Pietrangelo in the Note. His wife is from St. Louis and his triplets were born here.

On the flip side, if a team is willing to pay him $10 million or more, that is hard to pass up. Wives always have other wives to lean on in new cities and the children are young enough that a move would not be hard to deal with.

You do have to take living conditions into consideration too. Canadian taxes are higher and Toronto is more expensive to live in, so maybe the extra $2 million per season is not as enticing. Nobody has explained how the Maple Leafs can even be in the mix given their cap situation, but I digress.

It all boils down to this being a big mess that likely won’t be resolved until after the season.

Sure, the Blues could trade Pietrangelo, but are they really going to alter their locker room that much while attempting to repeat as champions? I think not.

Will they be willing to let their Stanley Cup captain, who is also on pace for a career year in 2019-20, walk in free agency or will they worry it would be a PR nightmare? Personally, I still stand in the camp that they cannot afford to pay him anything over $8.5 million. I just feel it handcuffs them too much for future seasons.

https://bleedinblue.com/2019/12/27/st-louis-blues-alex-pietrangelo-problem-many-facets/

I can see the predicament.  If you pay him $9+mil/yr it shrinks the window, if you trade him now you hurt your chances at another run.  He could re-sign but everything I've heard is they do not want to pay him like Josi. 

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Canucks playing best hockey in almost a decade.   Better trade a recent Calder runner up who has more points in first three years than many superstars in league and is now really picking up his 180 foot game AND saying he is embracing that.

Yup, let's trade him quickly.

CF-ME2-XIAAOb-3.png

Again, it was a hypothetical trade scenario.  I love BB but he isn't untouchable and if there's a trade to be had that improves the team it needs to be explored.  And what better place to discuss it than in a discussion forum?  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

By all reports, Pietrangelo is going to be re-signed.

According to Doug Armstrong:

On Pietrangelo “This is the best, certainly the best offensive year we’ve seen out of him since he’s been a St. Louis Blue,” Armstrong said of the defenseman who has 13 goals and 27 assists. “I think he’s transformed his game. A lot of (credit) has to go to (assistant coach) Mike Van Ryn and (coach) Craig Berube allowing him the freedom to play more offensively. As a captain, as a leader, as a player, he’s done everything. He’s just having a fantastic year.

“On the business side nothing has changed from when we talked I think in September. It is what it is. You know, it only takes one phone call to get it done and we haven’t had that phone call yet. So we’ll just keep forging ahead and we’re not going to talk about it, understanding that he’s not talking about it either because it’s really not necessary.”

Regarding the trade market: “You’re always looking to see if you can improve your team, and if we can improve our team in our top six, I think we can take a look at that,” he said. “A lot of that will have to do on the updated medical information I get on Vladi.”

Same here. 100%

I hope he stays, Pietrangelo in any other jersey will look weird. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

https://bleedinblue.com/2019/12/27/st-louis-blues-alex-pietrangelo-problem-many-facets/

I can see the predicament.  If you pay him $9+mil/yr it shrinks the window, if you trade him now you hurt your chances at another run.  He could re-sign but everything I've heard is they do not want to pay him like Josi. 

Again, it was a hypothetical trade scenario.  I love BB but he isn't untouchable and if there's a trade to be had that improves the team it needs to be explored.  And what better place to discuss it than in a discussion forum?  

Discuss away but why not discuss how the plan is coming together, how the prospects are developing and how the bridge veterans are playing a key role?   Seems odd to me, and maybe just me, to have all this trade talk around core pieces when the team is finally playing to a level people hoped would happen again.   I think the team is a bit ahead of schedule myself but will take this while it lasts.  I still think Tampa gets the pick next year and not this as the Canucks are not quite there but they keep proving me wrong - unless, of course, they trade a core piece.   Further, when you have a young group that is this tight and you trade one of them you can have the entire thing crumble down around you.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Discuss away but why not discuss how the plan is coming together, how the prospects are developing and how the bridge veterans are playing a key role?   Seems odd to me, and maybe just me, to have all this trade talk around core pieces when the team is finally playing to a level people hoped would happen again.   I think the team is a bit ahead of schedule myself but will take this while it lasts.  I still think Tampa gets the pick next year and not this as the Canucks are not quite there but they keep proving me wrong - unless, of course, they trade a core piece.   Further, when you have a young group that is this tight and you trade one of them you can have the entire thing crumble down around you.

the trade Brock talk now is silly. Maybe for some yet to emerge legit reason at the end of the 21/22 season it makes sense. 

I'm concerned that his development will be hampered a bit by being with a rookie C who also needs strong partners, but we'll see i guess. So far its only 5 or 6 games in, it doesn't look great but it could turn around. I'm assuming Green has a real plan here. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the trade Brock talk now is silly. Maybe for some yet to emerge legit reason at the end of the 21/22 season it makes sense. 

I'm concerned that his development will be hampered a bit by being with a rookie C who also needs strong partners, but we'll see i guess. So far its only 5 or 6 games in, it doesn't look great but it could turn around. I'm assuming Green has a real plan here. 

I think Green is a pretty good motivator and he is also pretty aware of how to push buttons and I think he is doing both with Brock now.   Fact Canucks are winning at same time helps a ton.   I don't see this as a permanent thing but it is clear that what many would have said otherwise, hard to argue that Jake is not a nice top 6 fit.   Just getting that knowledge was worthy of the experiment.   I would personally try BB with Horvat but I am not the coach.

2 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I’d fine that hard to believe, also With Petranglo future up in the air there is no chance they trade him

if you believe he's a good shot at a 40 goal scorer, why would you undervalue him?  You don't think a potential 40 goal guy is worth a Parayko?  I think he's a 25-30 goal guy, maybe jumping to 35 for a season or two and I still think that's enough to get a Parayko level dman.

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think it's a right now move either..........that said, I'd bet JB would do it at this deadline if the right deal were there.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

if you believe he's a good shot at a 40 goal scorer, why would you undervalue him?  You don't think a potential 40 goal guy is worth a Parayko?  I think he's a 25-30 goal guy, maybe jumping to 35 for a season or two and I still think that's enough to get a Parayko level dman.

I’ve seen many goal scorer disappear in the playoffs but have a solid d core setup with Hughes and Parayko sounds nasty but it would still be a hard choice but all in all they’re 2 great players. 

On another note you actually think brock best year are already happening? I’m sure he will progress and become a better goal scorer. Not many players peak like Selanne in his first year

24 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think Green is a pretty good motivator and he is also pretty aware of how to push buttons and I think he is doing both with Brock now.   Fact Canucks are winning at same time helps a ton.   I don't see this as a permanent thing but it is clear that what many would have said otherwise, hard to argue that Jake is not a nice top 6 fit.   Just getting that knowledge was worthy of the experiment.   I would personally try BB with Horvat but I am not the coach.

I personally think green wants to use Brock on horvats line but I don’t think green thinks he’s ready to jump on the matchup/Shutdown/hustle line

Edited by Dats hockey
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I’ve seen many goal scorer disappear in the playoffs but have a solid d core setup with Hughes and Parayko sounds nasty but it would still be a hard choice but all in all they’re 2 great players. 

On another note you actually think brock best year are already happening? I’m sure he will progress and become a better goal scorer. Not many players peak like Selanne in his first year

I do see him hitting his plateau earlier than most.  He just doesn't have the speed or skating ability to to be that kind of scorer in this NHL..........I don't think anyway.  Ultimately, I don't think he's going anywhere this year anyway, I think the draft is a real possibility though.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I personally think green wants to use Brock on horvats line but I don’t think green thinks he’s ready to jump on the matchup/Shutdown/hustle line

I think that's how it shakes out as well.  LE will slide back down and BB up into that spot.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I tend to agree with you.  I think he wants to see more out of BB and knows he is capable of providing it.   BB can certainly generate offence but he isn't playing the entire ice surface the way he needs in Green's mind is my guess.   Funny thing though - once Jake finally showed he was a more complete player, the offence followed.    Green has gushed about EP40's and JT Miller's play away from the puck and in the defensive zone but I don't recall hearing as much, if any, gushing about BB in that regard.   Green seems to want a certain core set of players to really "get it" while they are young with likely the hope of building something not only special but lasting.   

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I was a huge fan when ownership brought Linden in as Pres and Benning as GM. Linden is gone now but Benning goes on and Green has been added. I am a fan because all 3 played in the NHL. I don't say this to exclude management that has not played NHL but in the history of this club this experience is unique. 

In his time in Vancouver Benning has rebuilt the Canuck prospect depth and has drafted players who now play on the Canuck roster. Benning's ability and his staff's ability to evaluate talent is upper end to my eye. Benning seems to have a clear vision of what is needed to make a CUP contender. I am comfortable in his decision making. 

Fans come on here to fill out time between games. Discussions drift to the latest news about the club. The progression towards a serious CUP contender has reached the point where Jim Benning does actually have choices about who he can move. He has the talent to make hockey trades. JT Miller was this year's biggest move. A 1st rdr for Miller. To date it has been a home run. Since I consider the Van d-core the biggest challenge right now I am more than happy that Benning actually had a career as a NHL

d-man. Great asset. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

when you dig into it just a little bit the effect Loui has with Bo and Peason is a net positive because of Loui's defensive game, so it would make sense if you want Brock as a permanent fixture with Bo to up his defensive skill set. So that's probably it, and to see if AG and BB have something special (doesn't seem to be the case).

I love the Virtanen story, very happy for him.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

when you dig into it just a little bit the effect Loui has with Bo and Peason is a net positive because of Loui's defensive game, so it would make sense if you want Brock as a permanent fixture with Bo to up his defensive skill set. So that's probably it, and to see if AG and BB have something special (doesn't seem to be the case).

I love the Virtanen story, very happy for him.

Green has guys playing where he feels the lines are more balanced, and each (in the top three) has at least one guy who can drive play.  Bess drives play.  Petey drives play.  Bo drives play.  The Pens won two Cups with Kessel driving their third line.  Clearly Kessel could have played with Malkin or Crosby, but three potential scoring lines is better than two. 

14 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I tend to agree with you.  I think he wants to see more out of BB and knows he is capable of providing it.   BB can certainly generate offence but he isn't playing the entire ice surface the way he needs in Green's mind is my guess.   Funny thing though - once Jake finally showed he was a more complete player, the offence followed.    Green has gushed about EP40's and JT Miller's play away from the puck and in the defensive zone but I don't recall hearing as much, if any, gushing about BB in that regard.   Green seems to want a certain core set of players to really "get it" while they are young with likely the hope of building something not only special but lasting.   

i don’t remember his name but i remember the canucks bringing in a goal scorer to play on a line with sedins. i remember he would always set up and wait for them to get the puck to him. this might be different, but the sedins asked for him to be taken off their line. they wanted to play their game and needed a burrows type linemate. i see boes as someone that needs to get passed to, in his favourite spot to be a goal scorer. i think green wants him to be a complete player that can be successful in other situations. i could be wrong.

• Upvote 1