The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

14 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Lack of scoring and drive. Benefiting from playing with two guys that have better chemistry together. Gets prime-time but isn't what we're use to seeing from him.

Put Virtanen or Toffoli on the #1PP and next to Petey/Miller 90% of the year see how many points they get. You could argue Toffoli gets more and the PP is better with him.

Boeser is still a top 6 forward but used to be a dangerous top line scorer. Far cry from his rookie season. If he was as he was back then he'd have more than 30 goals and might be pushing 40. Petey/Miller might have more points as well because we'd be a much better team. Unfortunately that's not the case this year and he has taken a step back.

Hopefully he can become that top line scorer for us again. We need one.

Exactly my point. There is nothing special about T.T. but he is getting open on the top of slot and burying those shots, why can't Boeser? I am optimistic that with time Boeser will finally learn to play the way T.T. does and get those dangerous chances. 

26 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Exactly my point. There is nothing special about T.T. but he is getting open on the top of slot and burying those shots, why can't Boeser? I am optimistic that with time Boeser will finally learn to play the way T.T. does and get those dangerous chances. 

are you sure that Green is putting him in those spots? 

when he's healthy Brock is capable of being nearly a ppg player, not sure why you're trying to fix success here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Boeser is a lot more than just a goal scorer.  BB drives play, as any ppg player does.  In fact BB’s best quality is his awareness.  He is a modern day Rick Middleton.  BB is a very “nifty” player. (When healthy, of course) 

I say we keep them both. There are other ways to move out dollars to keep both of them. I belive JB when he says they will look at trying to re-sign TT if the dollars and fit make sense for player and team. I kinda see TT the same at JT Miller. Both guys who scored at a 45 point clip per season rate...until they started playing with Pettersson and Horvat...I mean at what point do we have to take that into consideration with resigning TT??...Horvat has resurrected the ghost of Eriksson and he's become a defensive ace again, and also reviving Tanner Pearsons career at the same time...Petey, is the same. He's elevated JT Miller...I still can't believe it when I see JT as our top scorer on this team! JT has never scored at this rate EVER in his career...at 27...like TT...just saying. 

Boeser, I think we need to relax on him. Like many have said he's 23, still lots of room to grow. I could only imagine what it's like trying to keep your head and your body in tip top shape when you have a dad at home who is going through so much lately. It's gotta mess with a guy. He's still putting up solid points all while his home life is crashing down around him. His father is his hero...he's losing his hero every year slowly but surely. That's got to be painful to watch. The pull to be home and be there with has to be hard on him. I think Boeser comes back healthier mentally and physically next year. Ready to go!

This teams top 9 forward group will be awesome for many years the ways things are shaping out right now.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guys don’t practice with the team unless they’re getting ready to play.  Bess is back next game.  

Assuming he isn't too rusty, I would not be surprised. However, if next game was a lock I imagine he would have said so in his media time.

Either way, this is all great news for us down the stretch.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Full contact, no less. When he says he should be back "soon", I do believe that.

Oh really? I didn't realize he was in full contact practice as well. That bodes much better for our playoff hopes. Marky would still be more essential, but Boes is a very valuable top 6 piece.

Boeser has recieved a fair amount of flack this year. Many, including myself, were kind of seeing him as a passenger on the petey train. 

However, we've been no better than hot garbage since he went down. I'm beginning to think he provides alot more than I thought before. Even if he hasn't looked like he has in the past. 

I'm really excited to see him back in the lineup. If he returns within the week I have to believe we'll see the turnaround we've been waiting for. Hopefully his return means the end of loui for a while but will likely result in mac sitting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It’s weird how he was having an “off season” and people are saying he is expendable with Toffoli. Toffoli looks good in the 9 games he’s played with us.  But people seem to think this sample size is enough to trade away one of the brightest young players on this roster?

Boeser is just turned 23 years old and is in his third NHL season.  In his first two seasons he’s put up back to back 25+ goal, 55+ points seasons.  This year he was on pace for 23 goals and his highest point total of 65 points in what people were calling a “down” year.  

To put that into perspective,  Toffoli is turning 28 next month and is in his 7th NHL season this year.  In that time frame he’s only cracked the 25 goal mark ONCE, he’s only cracked the 55 point mark ONCE.  This year in a contract year he’s on pace for just meeting the 50 point mark, even if he were to finish out the season on the p/gp pace he’s been on since the trade he’d still only finished with 56 points. 

Boeser’s just scratching the surface of what he will become but with Toffoli you know what you are getting.  And while that he does bring other tangibles, our roster is filled with those traits.  Miller, Leivo, Horvat, Virtanen, Pearson and even to a lesser extent Eriksson, Roussel and Sutter.  To be successfully this roster needs to sprinkle in some pure skill.  Petty needs that for his chemistry, it’s why he and Goldy connected so well, players that are able to slow the game down and read off of each other.  And while yes, the games have become tighter but since Brock has went down Petey’s productions has dropped from 1.02p/gp to only .76p/gp.

I like Toffoli and if Canucks could keep him at a decent cost, that would be great considering the value we gave up, but to me keeping Toffoli doesn’t mean a guy like Brock becomes expendable. We need more players like Brock not less. 

Man, any person that thinks Boeser is expendable because Toffoli, is A person without knowledge of the situation. Boeser is a key player for our future. Sometime I really wonder where people come up with such statements.

Edited by #Canucks
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It’s weird how he was having an “off season” and people are saying he is expendable with Toffoli. Toffoli looks good in the 9 games he’s played with us.  But people seem to think this sample size is enough to trade away one of the brightest young players on this roster?

Boeser is just turned 23 years old and is in his third NHL season.  In his first two seasons he’s put up back to back 25+ goal, 55+ points seasons.  This year he was on pace for 23 goals and his highest point total of 65 points in what people were calling a “down” year.  

To put that into perspective,  Toffoli is turning 28 next month and is in his 7th NHL season this year.  In that time frame he’s only cracked the 25 goal mark ONCE, he’s only cracked the 55 point mark ONCE.  This year in a contract year he’s on pace for just meeting the 50 point mark, even if he were to finish out the season on the p/gp pace he’s been on since the trade he’d still only finished with 56 points. 

Boeser’s just scratching the surface of what he will become but with Toffoli you know what you are getting.  And while that he does bring other tangibles, our roster is filled with those traits.  Miller, Leivo, Horvat, Virtanen, Pearson and even to a lesser extent Eriksson, Roussel and Sutter.  To be successfully this roster needs to sprinkle in some pure skill.  Petty needs that for his chemistry, it’s why he and Goldy connected so well, players that are able to slow the game down and read off of each other.  And while yes, the games have become tighter but since Brock has went down Petey’s productions has dropped from 1.02p/gp to only .76p/gp.

I like Toffoli and if Canucks could keep him at a decent cost, that would be great considering the value we gave up, but to me keeping Toffoli doesn’t mean a guy like Brock becomes expendable. We need more players like Brock not less. 

To be fair, especially if we re-sign Toffoli, at some point we're likely to trade from our RW depth for a D (though I'd wager it might be Virtanen when/after Podz arrives, not Boeser, as they play a more similar style).

That said, I agree people are jumping the gun a fair bit on that move (and yes, too easily assuming it's Boeser). But I can see why they realize the writing's on wall eventually there. We can't afford the eventual cap space or play time long term, to roll with Boeser, Tiffoli, Virtanen, Podkolzin, Lind, MacEwan, Jasek, Lockwood etc for the next 5'ish years. Guys will be moved.

Whoever it is will play out the next couple years :)

Edited by aGENT

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, especially if we re-sign Toffoli, at some point we're likely to trade from our RW depth for a D (though I'd wager it might be Virtanen when/after Podz arrives, not Boeser, as they play a more similar style).

That said, I agree people are jumping the gun a fair bit on that move (and yes, too easily assuming it's Boeser). But I can see why they realize the writing's on wall eventually there. We can't afford the eventual cap space or play time long term, to roll with Boeser, Tiffoli, Virtanen, Podkolzin, Lind, MacEwan, Jasek, Lockwood etc for the next 5'ish years. Guys will be moved.

Whoever it is will play out the next couple years :)

sure but out of that list the Toffoli, Brock and jake are the only top nine wingers that shoot right.

Pod shoots left,

Lind has a lot to prove before he’s Brock level replacement and imo I highly doubt he gets there considering they are only a year and a half apart.  

MacEwan look like a good bottom line winger maybe 3rd liner and jasek and lockwood are long shots to replace Brock. 

it’s really hard to predict 5 year, heck even two years to what are line up looks like. It wasn’t that long ago shinkaruk and Jensen were pegged to be top 6 wingers on our team. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

sure but out of that list the Toffoli, Brock and jake are the only top nine wingers that shoot right.

Pod shoots left,

Lind has a lot to prove before he’s Brock level replacement and imo I highly doubt he gets there considering they are only a year and a half apart.  

MacEwan look like a good bottom line winger maybe 3rd liner and jasek and lockwood are long shots to replace Brock. 

it’s really hard to predict 5 year, heck even two years to what are line up looks like. It wasn’t that long ago shinkaruk and Jensen were pegged to be top 6 wingers on our team. 

Yup, Like I said, I'd wager Virt's the odd man out assuming Podz continues on his present track. I wasn't suggesting Lind (or Mac/Jasek/Lockwood etc) were going to replace Brock. Just noting they're far more likely to fill out our 4th line/bottom 6 RW's slots long term rather than Virtanen or Podz.

Run with Boeser, extended Toffoli, Virt, Mac the next couple years. As Podz arrives, he pushes out Virt. As Toffoli ages out/expires, Podz moves up. Other guys back fill the bottom 6 RW slots as needed.

That could certainly change but that's what my tea leaves are reading right now anyway ;) 

• Cheers 1